BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Will Conservatism Make a Comeback in the U.S.

I am seeing signs and think its possible.

Back in the Day (60's) when I was in college the SDS was in full swing. Colleges and Profs were against the SDS. The SDS took roots bc of the War but also as a rebellion of the status quo. Its important to know that students/young people are usually against the mainstream. And the mainstream is now Liberalism.

And of course with Blexit and Jexit the demise for several years of the Democratic Party. That will be enough time to get immigration laws passed, and Conservative judges at ALL levels. (sorry Ruth - you cant live that long!!!

Then this:
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/robe...-happened-next
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
I am seeing signs and think its possible.

Back in the Day (60's) when I was in college the SDS was in full swing. Colleges and Profs were against the SDS. The SDS took roots bc of the War but also as a rebellion of the status quo. Its important to know that students/young people are usually against the mainstream. And the mainstream is now Liberalism.

And of course with Blexit and Jexit the demise for several years of the Democratic Party. That will be enough time to get immigration laws passed, and Conservative judges at ALL levels. (sorry Ruth - you cant live that long!!!

Then this:
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/robe...-happened-next

Until the 'conservative' politicians - who, at this time, all run as Republicans - are able to separate fiscal conservatism from moral conservatism, I don't see a major increase in voter blocks. The majority of the 'middle' in this country tend to lean moderately fiscally conservative and considerably socially liberal. This is the major problem the Republican (conservative) candidates have. The 'conservatives' who run for national office also tend to be pretty hawkish on war as an answer to global woes. Many in America have grown tired of preemptive wars, even if sometimes they are warranted.

Once conservative politicians begin openly embracing libertarian policies such as legalizing all forms of marriage, working on criminal justice reform, and coming up with meaningful solutions to our broken immigration system, they will likely gain substantial increases in voters. Whether this will happen or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see it to be probable in the short run.

We shall see.
2000cs1476.50
thegump41.50
alex23641170.50

05-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Until the 'conservative' politicians - who, at this time, all run as Republicans - are able to separate fiscal conservatism from moral conservatism, I don't see a major increase in voter blocks. The majority of the 'middle' in this country tend to lean moderately fiscally conservative and considerably socially liberal. This is the major problem the Republican (conservative) candidates have. The 'conservatives' who run for national office also tend to be pretty hawkish on war as an answer to global woes. Many in America have grown tired of preemptive wars, even if sometimes they are warranted.

Once conservative politicians begin openly embracing libertarian policies such as legalizing all forms of marriage, working on criminal justice reform, and coming up with meaningful solutions to our broken immigration system, they will likely gain substantial increases in voters. Whether this will happen or not is anyone's guess, but I don't see it to be probable in the short run.

We shall see.
Asked and answered. Candidate for shortest thread ever.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent13893.50
MKSixer24355.00

05-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Of course they can make a comeback.....when we have more guys like the ones pictured below, and not dumbasses like Trump, Cruz, and Graham.
Attached Images

05-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
adc100
Banned
Rep

Yea..you "may" be right Run Silent...Take me for instance: I am pro women's rights and believe in Global warming and within the next 6 months will convert from the (UCC) to Baptist bc the UCC openly advocates that transgenders be admitted to the Minestry I am not anti gay or anti trans..my best friend could be either-I have one who is. They do not belong in church leadership.

I am stronger for the survival of the country so much so that for the first time in my life I will never vote for another Democrat. If my best friend ran under the Dem ticked (yes-I do have one or two friends-believe it or )

My wife feels much like me (She is a Baptist)..but very very religious. She believes in a woman's right to choose..believe it or not. And if you knew my wife you would be hard pressed to fine another "good a Christian as her"

But we both feel that the Dems care not one iota about the good of the country. She will likely never vote for another Democrat. I would have thought more people than Democrats (who care not for the country) love this country.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

adc, you seem to be thinking with your head, but still hung up a bit on the letter at the end of the candidate's name. For me, ACTIONS speak louder than letters.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Yes, they are the Democrats now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Yea..you "may" be right Run Silent...Take me for instance: I am pro women's rights and believe in Global warming and within the next 6 months will convert from the (UCC) to Baptist bc the UCC openly advocates that transgenders be admitted to the Minestry I am not anti gay or anti trans..my best friend could be either-I have one who is. They do not belong in church leadership.

I am stronger for the survival of the country so much so that for the first time in my life I will never vote for another Democrat. If my best friend ran under the Dem ticked (yes-I do have one or two friends-believe it or )

My wife feels much like me (She is a Baptist)..but very very religious. She believes in a woman's right to choose..believe it or not. And if you knew my wife you would be hard pressed to fine another "good a Christian as her"

But we both feel that the Dems care not one iota about the good of the country. She will likely never vote for another Democrat. I would have thought more people than Democrats (who care not for the country) love this country.
I seem to be the opposite as far as voting goes. I voted for 1 democrat (Llyod Bentson) between 1986 and 2016. I gave Trump 2 chances to earn my support: after he clinched the nomination and after the inauguration. He failed miserably both times. Do you listen to him? Do you read his tweets? I don't understand how a true conservative can support Trump and his lying shenanigans.
      05-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #9
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
adc, you seem to be thinking with your head, but still hung up a bit on the letter at the end of the candidate's name. For me, ACTIONS speak louder than letters.
I agree. D or R or I means little to me. The person and who they are means so much more.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC and a Volvo XC60 T6i

My son was playing to me the Ronald Reagan speech when he was speaking in West Berlin and the balloon popped, and he paused and said, "Missed me." What a great man and leader he was!

To answer adc100's post, yes, I do think it can make a comeback. But I for one feel it will truly take someone like some of the great conservative leaders like we have had in the past, someone who can actually LEAD and work with all sides, not just one side. Maybe then some of those people on the fence with come over and conservatism will grow. What is happening right now is not good for any political party.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent13893.50

05-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
I think if conservatives start being smart again they would be in power for such a very long time! Their problem is they are stuck always talking crazy stuff like about chem trails and hyping bad wars like again Iraq or now Iran. If they were smart and stop messing around with conspiracy theories and making bad wars I think they are unstoppable. One example if trump made a real peace deal with Iran and like friends with them I bet you 100 he would be unstoppable for election and even one of his kids would win after him. But I don't think it would happen and so a lot of ppl gonna keep blaming republicans for Iraq and afghanistan wars which was really bad in so many ways like losing money and domestic spying and all that stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
ntg44
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Political Conservatism doesn't need to make a comeback any more than political Liberalism does. What this country needs is term limits for Congress.

I've always believed that if the President has term limits, Congress absolutely needs them too. I propose one person can serve no more than 14 years in Congress - 3 terms in the House (12 years), 2 terms in the Senate (12 years), with an extra 2 years permitted in the event a Rep. runs for Senate after 2 terms and wins. Get the lifetime politicians out, and open the door to new minds who will hopefully focus more on finding common ground rather than this complete sh*tfest we have now. It's no guarantee that it will work, but it sure as hell has a higher chance than the old stubborn hacks we have now.

This country has never been 100% liberal or conservative. The only difference now is that nobody wants to work together to find something both sides can be happy with, instead waiting for the other side and Presidency to flip sides. Endless procrastination and theatrics, meanwhile they're laughing to the bank at our expense. Congress has become useless, so time to fix it.
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Yes, they are the Democrats now.
lol wtf
Appreciate 2
MKSixer24355.00

05-29-2019, 12:11 AM   #14
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
lol wtf
Nothing conservative about the Trump party. Pretending doesn't count. They are what they are, Nationalist isolationist.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:42 AM   #15
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
lol wtf
Nothing conservative about the Trump party. Pretending doesn't count. They are what they are, Nationalist isolationist.
Isolationist doesn't send more troops to Middle East, send armada to Korea or send ships around Taiwan. I think he's the same old crazy warmonger just pretending to be isolationist guy
Appreciate 2
NickyC6648.00

05-29-2019, 04:21 AM   #16
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
I think if conservatives start being smart again they would be in power for such a very long time! Their problem is they are stuck always talking crazy stuff like about chem trails and hyping bad wars like again Iraq or now Iran. If they were smart and stop messing around with conspiracy theories and making bad wars I think they are unstoppable. One example if trump made a real peace deal with Iran and like friends with them I bet you 100 he would be unstoppable for election and even one of his kids would win after him. But I don't think it would happen and so a lot of ppl gonna keep blaming republicans for Iraq and afghanistan wars which was really bad in so many ways like losing money and domestic spying and all that stuff
I know one guy who wont stfu about chem trail and he is a hard core dem. And there hasnt been a war that the dems didnt love as much as the Republicans.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent13893.50

05-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Some of your points are valid, but others perhaps not so much. I've never met anyone in real life that believes in the crazy chem trails nonsense. I don't think that is a party issue, those folks are rare and just nuts. While the general perception is that Republicans are the hawkish party, when it comes down to it, Democrats have got the USA involved in just as many wars over the last 60 years as Republicans have. So that isn't really factual anymore. Certainly not like it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
What this country needs is term limits for Congress.

I've always believed that if the President has term limits, Congress absolutely needs them too. I propose one person can serve no more than 14 years in Congress - 3 terms in the House (12 years), 2 terms in the Senate (12 years), with an extra 2 years permitted in the event a Rep. runs for Senate after 2 terms and wins.
I agree. I think nearly every American citizen agrees. The issue, however, is that only congress can pass term limits (which they will never do) unless the states gather a constitutional convention and put it into the US Constitution, and that is never going to happen.

So, while term limits for congress are a great idea in theory, the reality is that it will never even come close to happening. We would be better off talking about ways to fix congress that might actually come to fruition. Unfortunately, those are few and far between.

Quote:
Isolationist doesn't send more troops to Middle East, send armada to Korea or send ships around Taiwan. I think he's the same old crazy warmonger just pretending to be isolationist guy
^This. Never thought I'd agree with SoCal on anything, but he is spot on here.

05-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #18
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I certainly strongly disagree. No one has tried to negotiate peace with NK before Trump. And in the end Iran must and will be crushed by Us or Israel. Same with NK except it will need to be us. And I highly support both.

I don't take this lightly as I have a son who is a combat Marine and one who is a qualified air assault soldier. I love them both more than life itself.

I think you will see thousands of cruise missiles in both cases. Huge civilian casualties on both sides but both countries will cease to be a threat.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #19
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Quote:
I imagine this to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Some of your points are valid, but others perhaps not so much. I've never met anyone in real life that believes in the crazy chem trails nonsense. I don't think that is a party issue, those folks are rare and just nuts. While the general perception is that Republicans are the hawkish party, when it comes down to it, Democrats have got the USA involved in just as many wars over the last 60 years as Republicans have. So that isn't really factual anymore. Certainly not like it used to be.

I agree. I think nearly every American citizen agrees. The issue, however, is that only congress can pass term limits (which they will never do) unless the states gather a constitutional convention and put it into the US Constitution, and that is never going to happen.

So, while term limits for congress are a great idea in theory, the reality is that it will never even come close to happening. We would be better off talking about ways to fix congress that might actually come to fruition. Unfortunately, those are few and far between.

Yeah the chem trail dude i know also believes that 911 was an inside job and bldg 7 was brought down via controlled demo. He's also against vaccinations and belives all food that is not 100% organic is bad for you. Yes the dude is a Democrat, i worked with him.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

If Trump was a warmonger, he'd have started long before now. I think it's the last thing he wants. He's doing his salesman act with nutters though.
Risky risky.

You've got Iran and NK playing build-a-bomb and WE can't just sit back any longer.

05-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #22
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

kitesurfer is a Democrat?!?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0