BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #155
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have owned 24 cars in my lifetime, starting with the first one 51 years ago. I owned our '77 BMW 320i for 25 years, our '87 325is for 12 years, my '71 Corvette for 7 years, and have currently had our '01 Z3 for 16 years. Most of the other cars were owned for 3-4 years each. I hardly call that going through cars like a pubescent teenager going through shoes.

I also don't consider asking a question the same as giving someone flack.

You can't possibly be this stupid can you ?
I haven't seen this much back pedaling since watching the Tour de France in rewind

Yeah you see this little emoticon you used called "roll eyes" after you questioned his $90/month coffee spending habit? Do you know what eye rolling means?

Quote:
Eye-rolling is generally viewed as a passive or immature sign of aggression, intended to demean the other person in the conversation.
So yes, when you quote his (or her?) post with the question "$90 per month for coffee?" and put a fucking eye roll at the end, you are - at minimum - giving him "flack."

Quote:
I also don't consider asking a question the same as giving someone flack.
You think you're asking him a question? What question are you asking exactly? "Do you spend $90 per month on coffee?" He already told you that you fucking dimwit

When an exchange between two people goes like this

Person 1: I try to keep my coffee spending to less than $3 per day
Person 2: $90 per month?

Person 2 isn't interested in the precise financial arithmetic of person 1's coffee spending . What were you expecting? Did you want him to check you on your math? "Yeah good job man $3/day times an average of 30 day per month is, indeed, $90"

Person 2 is interested in putting forth a facade of frugal living by eye rolling what person 2 considers to be wasteful spending by person 1.

I'm merely pointing out the tremendous hypocrisy of the situation given that you've indulged in a vastly more expensive hobby owning 24 cars in the span of 50+ years and you're making fun of someone who probably makes around $500,000/year on spending $90 per month on beverages.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #156
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by se15679875 View Post
I haven't seen this much back pedaling since watching the Tour de France in rewind

Yeah you see this little emoticon you used called "roll eyes" after you questioned his $90/month coffee spending habit? Do you know what eye rolling means?

So yes, when you quote his (or her?) post with the question "$90 per month for coffee?" and put a fucking eye roll at the end, you are - at minimum - giving him "flack."

You think you're asking him a question? What question are you asking exactly? "Do you spend $90 per month on coffee?" He already told you that you fucking dimwit

Person 2 isn't interested in the precise financial arithmetic of person 1's coffee spending . What were you expecting? Did you want him to check you on your math? "Yeah good job man $3/day times an average of 30 day per month is, indeed, $90"

Person 2 is interested in putting forth a facade of frugal living by eye rolling what person 2 considers to be wasteful spending by person 1.

I'm merely pointing out the tremendous hypocrisy of the situation given that you've indulged in a vastly more expensive hobby owning 24 cars in the span of 50+ years and you're making fun of someone who probably makes around $500,000/year on spending $90 per month on beverages.
You are really a piece of art. Enjoy the holidays
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #157
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
Sour grapes huh.
Well, true, you got me. No need to read further, unless you like to be outrageously entertained.

People who find enormous wealth for doing nothing even remotely talented is pretty infuriating.
Yes, I am trivializing what he does... because he doesn't do anything.
Literally billions of people on the planet are just as capable of doing exactly what he does, yet somehow he's the one that wins the lottery of retards that bless him with views. Are you honestly telling me that out of 6 billion people on the planet, none have a personality that can even remotely compete with his?
Fine, lets restrict it to those who are only actively making YouTube videos... so we're down to a few hundred thousand easily that can do exactly what he does.

Again, it's like my Andy Rooney example. An untalented crusty old fossil gets rolled out in front of a camera to read off a teleprompter and you actually think he's the only guy in the world that can do that job. I'd say there's at least 3 billion people that can do that job equally as well, and yet where is their fortune?

Yes, life is unfair in the extreme. People in famine and war torn areas of the world $hitting out babies because they're so effing sick and evil, they couldn't forego sex. They'd rather see a human baby starve to death over a 6 year period rather than forego sex. I love that.

But in that unfairness, we should find rage and outrage.

But I shouldn't hate the player, I should hate the game.

It's sort of like politics right. All the Trumptard voters think Hillscary Clinton voters are america destroying, brown loving, gay rubbing loons, and all the Hillscary voters think Trumptard voters are racist redneck hillbilly deplorables.

In the end, it's not really the lying, pandering, self-serving, narcissistic, mealy mouthed, flip flopping, word parsing, pandering, poll sniffing ay_holes that are running for office we should hate... we should hate the human garbage that allowed such nutjobs to even reach that position in the first place.

So you're correct, I shouldn't hate on Puke Die Pie, I should hate all the low IQ short bus autistic morons who watch his stupidity, allowing him to make that fortune for being an untalented moron.

Though I must say, I always enjoy those that present their argument as ... "you're jealous of XYZ because XYZ has more than you" and thereby removing any and all legitimate reasons to find someone, or the things they do, insanely annoying, stupid, or whatever feelings it generates in the person with the opinion.

I'm sure if you look really really hard. Really really deep. You can find someone who makes more money than you that you hate for reasons other than jealousy over their success.

Kaepernick?
Bill Cosby?
Kim Koont_trash_ian?
Paris Hilton?
Martin Shkreli?
Jesse Jackson?
Donald Sterling?
Ted Cruz?
Sarah Palin?
Rahm Emanuel?
Whoopi Goldberg?
Arnold Schwarzenegger?
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2021...eaving-office/

Arnold is a particularly disgusting pile of bile.
I'd love nothing more than to send him to Syria to play hide-and-behead with ISIS.

Lastly, it is kind of ironic that I hate people who make fortunes for doing absolutely nothing of any measurable skill, because I'm going to be one of those people. ROFL. I inherited a lot of money over a decade ago that I invested, and a tiny shave off the top of that bought a nice chunk of my car, and by the time I'm in retirement, that money will be in 7 figures. Not only that, my wife's family has a hefty 7 figure fortune that will eventually make it to our coffers. So, while I won't be in Mitt Romney's level of ahole-ery, and similar human garbage that do nothing and pay 15% taxes on their mega millions, I'll be a little smudge of that, and enjoying every minute of it.

Now I'm going to go out in my back yard and start digging a hole.
I know it's not a special talent, but if I market it properly to the right crowd of dumb@$$ imbeciles, I'm sure there's a way I can make a hundred million dollars off it. Perhaps I'll dig with a teaspoon or something that makes it go viral.
So you are the beneficiary of a 7 figure inheritance between you and your wife's family, but you believe that someone like Pew is deserving of criticism.

That suggests to me that you're arbitrarily valuing certain features as being "worthy" of affluence. What are these features? Intelligence? Hard work? At the low end, money earned generally scales with those features, but think about how arbitrary that is.

I don't like Pew di Pie (sp?) either. I watched a video before to see what the commotion was about and then quickly realized that he posts (mostly) mind-numbing, inane content that I have no interest in. Fine, I don't watch his stuff, and I'll even agree that by and large most people are not terribly intelligent and a lot of these individuals feed off of that.

It's funny you mentioned ditch digging as a sarcastic throw away comment, but someone has actually done something similar to this before. Have you ever seen the truman show? Some guy decided about a decade ago to have a 24/7 recording of his entire life publicly available on the internet. He didn't do anything special, he just went along his usual daily routine but people found this fascinating and he grew a big following. This was the beginning of justin.tv, and the owner is now worth over $100M. It's such a stupid idea and by definition anyone could've done it, but he did it first. More power to him.

You're lumping someone like Sarah Palin in with someone like Bill Gates which is why I'm confused as to what attributes you think are actually deserving of great wealth.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #158
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Arguing semantics is not a conversation. It's a platform for the obtuse.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #159
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Arguing semantics is not a conversation. It's a platform for the obtuse.
Intellectual ability scales inversely with degree of verbal sophistry.
Appreciate 2
Biorin2784.50
Nkc1600.50
      12-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #160
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

lolz more bimmerpost financial advice
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #161
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Intellectual ability scales inversely with degree of verbal sophistry.
Says the pot to the kettle.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #162
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Says the pot to the kettle.
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #163
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #164
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Dude is on fire. Welcome to the forum se.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #165
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I'd rather make a million a year at shit job for couple years then stay home
Heh, yeah... that's what blows me away about the 50+ million crowd.
Take the old crypt keeper fossils on 60 minutes who are knocking on deaths door. Those morons would rather waste their life away on obtaining every last dollar than living it up in every way their last few moments.

The dream job is the held by Alex Trebec of Jeopardy. They film all the episodes for a whole month during a 3-day binge, then pay him 10 million a year. Jeezuz H, and he has been doing that job for how many decades now?
A friend of mine JJ Todor was in the tournament of champions. A guy I work with made it to the screening segment.

JJ's dad was awesome. He would always say (in a somewhat pissed off and agitated way) "I sent my son to Harvard for four years, and to Harvard law for another two....and now he came home to work at Mac n' Erma's". The look on his face was so funny when he said it. Now that I have kids I can finally relate to where he was coming from. Mine are 8/6/2.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2267
      12-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #166
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Benedict makes $500k?

Maybe if he didn't spend $90 a month on coffee he would have an F80 M3 and not just an E90. Or in the worst cause scenario he could have at least an E90 ZCP.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #167
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / Black on black

Quote:
So you are the beneficiary of a 7 figure inheritance between you and your wife's family, but you believe that someone like Pew is deserving of criticism.

That suggests to me that you're arbitrarily valuing certain features as being "worthy" of affluence. What are these features? Intelligence? Hard work? At the low end, money earned generally scales with those features, but think about how arbitrary that is.

You're lumping someone like Sarah Palin in with someone like Bill Gates which is why I'm confused as to what attributes you think are actually deserving of great wealth.
No, Bill Gates is an enormous talent... he just reached the point where he was able to pass off actual work to others in order to make his money tree.
That's an ideal way to make a fortune. Let others break their back doing it for you.

I'm working on my second installment in the series. Stay tuned.
I have to get some desperately behind work done around the house, but I hope to have chiseled out another chapter within 8 hours of now.

Last edited by 01101001; 12-20-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #168
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm working on my second installment in the series. Stay tuned.
I have to get some desperately behind work done around the house, but I hope to have chiseled out another chapter within 8 hours of now.
No rush. I think it's an interesting discussion more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Benedict makes $500k?

Maybe if he didn't spend $90 a month on coffee he would have an F80 M3 and not just an E90. Or in the worst cause scenario he could have at least an E90 ZCP.
I'm assuming. He's a 59 y/o radiation oncologist (assuming 1957 is his birthdate, but IIRC he's said he's in his 50s and hitting 60 soon). Median pay for rad/onc is around $500k/year. My brother in law is a much younger rad/onc and he makes around that much. He bought my sister an E63 AMG and all I got for my birthday was a hug and a nice sushi dinner

It was damn good sushi though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Dude is on fire. Welcome to the forum se.
I'm just your friendly neighborhood regulator This forum needs a little spicing up here and there
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #169
Rik84
Full Potato
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
He bought my sister an E63 AMG and all I got for my birthday was a hug and a nice sushi dinner

What a dick. It's Applebee's for him in 2017, or perhaps even just say fuck it and take him out for "brunch" and go to Denny's.
2015 F80 M3 6MT Pure Stage 2 Turbos // Evolution of Speed Intake Manifold w/ Port Injection // Custom AEM 1000 Powered Secondary Fuel System // Micro Squirt Custom ECU // Evolution of Speed Intercooler// RK Autowerkz Carbon Intakes // BMS Charge Pipes // N54 Tuning Down Pipes // M Performance Exhaust // Swift Spec R // DSS Axles // Signature Wheels
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #170
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Median pay for rad/onc is around $500k/year. My brother in law is a much younger rad/onc and he makes around that much. He bought my sister an E63 AMG and all I got for my birthday was a hug and a nice sushi dinner

Well, you have to figure in the cost of how much you would pay to NOT do things that your sister does with him. The E63 doesn't seem that expensive now. Cost is relative.

(even factoring in HK car pricing)
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #171
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik84 View Post
What a dick. It's Applebee's for him in 2017, or perhaps even just say fuck it and take him out for "brunch" and go to Denny's.
So confused - do they have both applebees and Denny's in Vancouver?

I would die if I went to Hong Kong or Vancouver and someone tried to take me to one of those restaurants.

It would be like going to Porsche Track Experience and renting a minivan. One doesn't fly all the way there to not experience something fun and unique!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #172
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Well, you have to figure in the cost of how much you would pay to NOT do things that your sister does with him. The E63 doesn't seem that expensive now. Cost is relative.

(even factoring in HK car pricing)
Ahhhh Lurker, Lurker I haven't had dinner yet

My sister and her husband live in the states, actually. Lucky bastard. An entry level GLA 250 costs $60,000 USD here

(Point well taken though )
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      12-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #173
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

My sister and her husband live in the states, actually. Lucky bastard. An entry level GLA 250 costs $60,000 USD here

Go out and eat some good food for me! HK food is too good and too cheap to eat at home!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #174
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:

But HK personal taxes is so low I will be more than happy to pay 2-3x for a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #175
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / Black on black

Quote:

I'm confused as to what attributes you think are actually deserving of great wealth.
CHAPTER TWO:

So some further clarification about capitalism vs. talent.

People often and incorrectly ass-ume that capitalism always rewards people commensurate with their talent.
In most cases, that's true. Perhaps 85% of the time.

There are many distortions though and many cases where talent has nothing to do with income, which we'll explore below.

First we have to agree on what exactly is talent.
I see talent like a pyramid. The fewer the people on the planet that can do what you do, the more talent/skill you have, and the closer you are to the top of the pyramid.

Examples of talent commensurate with wealth:
You're a Lebron James, or a lead researcher/developer in artificial intelligence, there's only a handful of people on the planet with your skills, and your pay will reflect that.

These guys would be at the top of the talent pyramid.
Huge talent = high pay. All is right in the world.

You're a dishwasher, fruit picker, janitor, etc.
Low talent = low pay. All is right in the world.

Examples of distortions where high talent = not so high income:
Certainly a fine example is Chris Langan.
With an IQ measured at 195+, he's recognized as the smartest man alive, and works as a horse rancher, lol.
Certainly income not commensurate with talent.

Another is Stephen Hawking.
Arguably also one of the smartest men alive, and very few match his intellect, yet certainly his wealth is not reflected by his intelligence. There are countless celebrities that dwarf Stephens net worth.

These guys would be at the top of the talent pyramid.
Huge talent <> high pay. All is so-so in the world.

Examples of talent entirely unrelated to income/wealth:

Any 18 year old girl can sell her 3 holes to a porn producer.
The fact that hundreds of millions of girls can share that talent the day they turn 18 means it's HIGHLY unskilled, yet there's a lot of money to be made there.

A pig farmer in flyover america can pimp out his farm animals to mentally ill beastiality fetishists for a $1000 a pop. That's a lucrative business that requires zero talent by the pig farmer. I'd say the pigs are the ones with the talent in that scenario. In any case, the pig farmer is at the very bottom of the talent pyramid, yet his income does not equate to holding that position.

Owning a parking lot in the middle of a bustling city requires zero talent, yet is very lucrative.
Just show up, collect money from the machine (if you don't have a credit card machine), and write tickets for non-payers. Billions of people could do that job, so it's massively unskilled, yet very lucrative. Again, at the very bottom of the talent pyramid, yet his income does not equate to holding that position.

If someone trips and falls on an icy surface, and someone else records that and throws it up on YouTube, and it gets a billion views, and the poster/uploader gets paid a fortune for those views.... neither the faller, nor the uploader have any demonstrable talent at all. The uploader was an opportunist in the right place at the right time, and the faller, simply an unplanned accident. Both of those positions could be done by billions of people... so zero on the talent/skill scale.

So where I tend to get infuriated is where people who are massively untalented make an enormous fortune due to the distortions of capitalism.

Andy Rooney is a prime example.
Kim Tard_trash_ian is an example.
Pew Die Pie is an example.

These people, and many others, are near the bottom of the talent pyramid, as nearly anyone can do what they do, but through freak accident they managed to be singled out for enormous fortune and/or fame. Even Puke Die Pie admitted as much in an interview. He was dumbfounded by his suck_cess, and he should be, because there's absolutely no reason for it. Plenty of others I've seen over the years have been shocked by their suck_cess.
For the life of me, I can't figure out what talent the dumb Tard_trash_ian has. Her mom is the brains behind inflicting america with their disgusting family.
Do I want to see Kim's face every time I open up Yahoo, because some mindless reporter wanted to write a story on that worthless B? No. It's infuriating.
I'd seriously PAY YAHOO to NOT show me her vile face ever again. Ditto with everywhere else she appears.

Inherited money is slightly different.
People who inherit money are given the money by their own family.
Who wouldn't help their own family members where they can?
Yes, I know... many. Warren Buffet is famous for being a major D-Bag with his wealth and his kids.
Bill Gates claims he will leave his kids near penniless as well.
Others however go the opposite direction and use their name to get their kids opportunities.
Would Will Smiths kid be acting in movies were it not for his dad forcing him on studios?
There are plenty of celebs who use their position to get their kids in the entertainment business.

As for myself, I already have a six figure job I earned with lots of education and hard work. So money I inherit is icing on the cake, but doesn't take away from the fact that I already have my own talent that earns me money.
So naturally I don't put myself in the category of income entirely unrelated to talent.

Last edited by 01101001; 12-21-2016 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #176
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

That's what I like about capitalism. Not everyone is born with gobs of talent, but anyone can be scrappy and creative enough to make it big time.
Appreciate 1