BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I still don't understand why you would drive around with no plates. Not just no front plate? Having plates is a big deal for a cop..... I would not be surprised if you were stopped regularly until it is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
some?
Yes, only some. Members need not paint the brush so wide a stroke. We're not all that anal. I still have yet to stop somebody just because they didn't have a plate on their car (..well, unless I was responding to an APB for a particular make/model/color of car, or the driver stirred my suspicion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Yeap some cops are real assholes. It's the same with IRVINE PD. I've talked to other cops that were super chill and they agreed with me that Irvine PD has nothing better to do than write up trivial traffic tickets because of the low crime rate in Irvine and that they simply have nothing else to do.
This is VERY true. Such is the nature of the environment with very little crime to attend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
No, im pissed that they jumped in their car and chased after me like I was a criminal. Your gonna chase me because I have no plates?
I agree that such a drastic response wasn't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Lighten up, Francis. You got hassled by cops over tint and no plates, walk it off. I got hassled by a cop for "racing" on Angeles Crest on Saturday when I was going under the limit (55). Big deal.
Be VERY careful on 'The Crest' because CHP/County enforcement has been increased. The sportbike/road race demographic are one of the primary reasons why this is occurring. I've warned all of my fellow sportbikers to avoid ACH whenever possible.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 04-07-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

So you had no rear plate either? If so that is dumb as hell.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Your right. Correct me if im wrong. But if I already got a ticket for plates and have until late May to fix it, can they give me another ticket for the same thing? I didn't think they could, but I might be wrong.
If its in the same city then NO, they cant issue the same citation. But if you are in a neighboring city and the cop is a real dickface, then he CAN and will issue you a new citation in that city for the same violation.

And you will have to show up to 2 different court houses to get each of the tickets signed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yes, only some. Members need not paint the brush so wide a stroke. We're not all that anal. I still have yet to stop somebody just because they didn't have a plate on their car (..well, unless there I was responding to an APB for a particular make/model/color of car, or the driver stirred my suspicion).
Hey SC, I was just joking mate. Just couldnt let the opppertunity slide lol. I've been lucky enough to encounter some top notch cops in my time. All joking aside, theres a LOT of good guys out there who really are serving and protecting and as I said, I feel lucky that I've got to know a few of them.

Since you're an officer of the law, I wanna ask a question if you have a minute. Are police officers instructed in any way to be more lenient towards the public if its within their neighborhood or within a certain proximity of the persons home?

Why Im asking is because Ive been pulled offer quite a few times (about 6) very close to my home (leaving my street or a few streets over) and have been let go with a verbal warning 5 out of those 6 times after a brief conversation and mentioning that I live a few streets over. I should note that none of the violations were really serious but regardless, it left me with the impression that cops are a bit more forgiving in those times.

Any ideas about this?
      04-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
I still don't understand why you would drive around with no plates. Not just no front plate? Having plates is a big deal for a cop..... I would not be surprised if you were stopped regularly until it is fixed.
In California new cars don't get temp tags. You simply drive around with no plates. You have a decal that goes on the lower right corner of the windshield, that's it. Some people go for a long time before installing their plates. I waited over 3 months. Some people never put them on.
      04-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #28
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Why did you not have a plate? And why do you have illegal tint? If you choose to have these things, don't whine about getting tickets.....just accept them or put a plate/temp sticker on like most other people...grow up & take responsibility for your actions!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Hey SC, I was just joking mate. Just couldnt let the opppertunity slide lol. I've been lucky enough to encounter some top notch cops in my time. All joking aside, theres a LOT of good guys out there who really are serving and protecting and as I said, I feel lucky that I've got to know a few of them.

Since you're an officer of the law, I wanna ask a question if you have a minute. Are police officers instructed in any way to be more lenient towards the public if its within their neighborhood or within a certain proximity of the persons home?

Why Im asking is because Ive been pulled offer quite a few times (about 6) very close to my home (leaving my street or a few streets over) and have been let go with a verbal warning 5 out of those 6 times after a brief conversation and mentioning that I live a few streets over. I should note that none of the violations were really serious but regardless, it left me with the impression that cops are a bit more forgiving in those times.

Any ideas about this?
My response was jovial as well. Forgive me if I came across harshly.

All officers are given professional latitude when making decisions. We have the choice to be lenient or harsh, but decisions need to be made with sound logic as a foundation. There is nothing in our MOU that requires an officer to treat people within a certain proximity of their home any differently, BUT....developing/maintaining public trust and confidence in the police department is a primary objective. The officers who issued warnings probably determined that you weren't a serious offender, and didn't feel the need to issue a summons (..especially considering that you were respectful, didn't have any warrants, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

Quote:

Any ideas about this?
Nothing official. Personally if someone is close to their home I consider it like home base in freeze tag. If you make it that close, your safe. As for writing residents of the town where you work, it's generally a case by case basis. The guys in my PD pretty much wont write a resident (hell, we don;t even write point carrying tickets period), unless the resident is a real ass. Hall of fame reactions like "I pay your salary", "But it's only a red light", and my favorite, "Don't you know who my father/mother/uncle/aunt is?" are gonna get you a ticket. Also, if it becomes obvious that the same resident is speeding non stop, no matter how many times he is stopped and cut lose, eventually he is gonna get a ticket.

It also depends on what goes on in the town. If a 6 year old just got hit by a car crossing the street, and you are stopped speeding on that road, it's gonna be pretty tough to be cut loose. We have a major highway running through our town, so our attitude pretty much is speed on the highway; there is no reason to speed at 20+mph over the limit past somebody's home.

And as one poster said, unless you get stopped doing something obvious (like 90 in a 55), don't admit anything. Just apologize, be polite, and hope you didn't get stopped by the 10% that are total asses.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Nothing official. Personally if someone is close to their home I consider it like home base in freeze tag. If you make it that close, your safe. As for writing residents of the town where you work, it's generally a case by case basis. The guys in my PD pretty much wont write a resident (hell, we don;t even write point carrying tickets period), unless the resident is a real ass. Hall of fame reactions like "I pay your salary", "But it's only a red light", and my favorite, "Don't you know who my father/mother/uncle/aunt is?" are gonna get you a ticket. Also, if it becomes obvious that the same resident is speeding non stop, no matter how many times he is stopped and cut lose, eventually he is gonna get a ticket.

It also depends on what goes on in the town. If a 6 year old just got hit by a car crossing the street, and you are stopped speeding on that road, it's gonna be pretty tough to be cut loose. We have a major highway running through our town, so our attitude pretty much is speed on the highway; there is no reason to speed at 20+mph over the limit past somebody's home.

And as one poster said, unless you get stopped doing something obvious (like 90 in a 55), don't admit anything. Just apologize, be polite, and hope you didn't get stopped by the 10% that are total asses.
Hey Lugnut,

You might want to check out the responses in the other cop thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #32
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the cops are the real A-holes for ticketing people who do illegal things.
      04-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #33
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Ya know, I always love when people get mad at the police when they are legally stopped for a violation they are aware of. I've been a cop for 15 years, and I will tell you this with absolute certainty. There are sphincters in every professsion, and I will not deny that those in mine give us a bad name. I will also agree there are a great variety of stupid laws and rules by which we must abide. However, at the end of the day, YOU are responsible for the vehicle you drive, and no amount of blame shifting or name calling will change that.

Imagine all the crap the average cop has to put up with in a day, and then ask yourself if your little temper tantrum really matters at the end of that day. I'm sure there will be people who are put off by the fact that I'm new to this forum, and that I had the audacity to express my opinion. So, flame away if you must, but for God's sake take some responsibility for your actions.

I'm gonna go eat a donut, since I have nothing else better to do, and plan my Euro delivery trip for the summer
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #34
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo83 View Post
you're over reacting... you're nothing special just like the rest of us. j/k
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!!!!!

That sucks, but that was a hilarious reply
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #35
NugeMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E90)

I just moved out to LA from NYC ... I gotta say, what is with people not having tags on their car out here??? It's shocking. It's like nice new cars are exempt from actually tagging their cars - I realize they're probably registered, but that just seems kinda strange to me coming from NYC/Northeast. My E90 is brand new and I feel like I shouldn't have tags or something -- can someone explain>?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #36
imballin2day
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe

Let me clear some things up. I did not get stopped for my rear plate as I have that on my car. I got stopped for my FRONT plate. So for all the people questioning me theres your answer. I NEVER complained about receiving a ticket. I just complained how they chased me for a front plate like I was a criminal and them saying im nothing special when I was nothing but respectful to him. I bet if a mini van passed by those cops without a front plate they wouldn't have chased that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Whats better DCT or 6 speed?
      04-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #38
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

...I understand the OP's point of view. It is all in the manner he was stopped, and the feeling that in the big scheme of things, cops should have something more important to do than that...

....Finish their coffee quietly, for example!
      04-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #39
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
My response was jovial as well. Forgive me if I came across harshly.

All officers are given professional latitude when making decisions. We have the choice to be lenient or harsh, but decisions need to be made with sound logic as a foundation. There is nothing in our MOU that requires an officer to treat people within a certain proximity of their home any differently, BUT....developing/maintaining public trust and confidence in the police department is a primary objective. The officers who issued warnings probably determined that you weren't a serious offender, and didn't feel the need to issue a summons (..especially considering that you were respectful, didn't have any warrants, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post

Wow, both your responses are pretty dead on with my past experiences

Its great to know a lot of officers use judgment and take so many things into consideration, even at a traffic stop. Thats awesome. I know there are some officers out there that behave like walking talking red light cameras, if the violation is made, the ticket is issued no matter what

Thanks for the detailed responses guys, its great to somewhat understand the mindset behind the badge thanks
      04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #40
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Let me clear some things up. I did not get stopped for my rear plate as I have that on my car. I got stopped for my FRONT plate. So for all the people questioning me theres your answer. I NEVER complained about receiving a ticket. I just complained how they chased me for a front plate like I was a criminal and them saying im nothing special when I was nothing but respectful to him. I bet if a mini van passed by those cops without a front plate they wouldn't have chased that.
You are doing something that is flagging you. There is no doubt about this. I haven't put a front plate on my CA, PA or NY registered cars in 20 years. I have never been cited for it. I've had medium tints on several cars. Never cited. I've driven like an A-hole and been pulled over. Still not cited for plate nor tint. I don't have a get-out-of-jail-free card, either. I still get significantly high speeding tickets occasionally.

Think about it. Why are YOU being singled out?

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #41
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Think about it. Why are YOU being singled out?
'cause he has a cool car!
      04-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed responses guys, its great to somewhat understand the mindset behind the badge thanks
Anytime!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
'cause he has a cool car!
I could say with 95% certainty that his car - being an ///M3 - has absolutely nothing to do with it, especially considering that he lives in California. We have some of the highest paid departments in the U.S. An officer can afford an ///M3 if he/she so desires (..as evidenced by the number of cops on this forum who drive ///M3's, and the number of cops whom I work with who aren't on this forum, but who drive cars in the same price range; or lifted trucks with 20k in suspension/lift modifications).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #44
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
he's waiting for cali to release diamond encrusted nike swoosh plates
you just try too hard sometimes

Appreciate 0