BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #23
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
So no one told you life was gonna be this way...
Hopefully his love life's not DOA...
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      04-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Well, I'm 73 and have been around. I had lots of insecurities through life. I am a mechanical engineer but struggled mightily to get through and get a degree. I was never really happy at my job/jobs.

When I retired at 55 I really didn't do much: part time low level jobs.

The older you get the more you want to stay in your "comfort zone" and that breeds more inaction.

So I understand your feelings. Couple of thoughts: Volunteer your time or resources..even if they are small. I am finding that helping others be happy or helped, helps me. Makes me feel unbelievably good.
I don't have lots of talents..but I became a NRA pistol instructor..I was terrified to do it..but I did. I also went back to playing my Cornet after 50 years and got into a band.

There is a book called "The Generiosity Factor" that by itself could turn you around. Also if you could find a "significant other" that might by itself solve your problems.

I think you are a very warm and honest person. Tell yourself you are important and can make a difference. If you can make yourself understand that it will change you.

Also keep or get in top physical shape..exercise. So important.

I've not been a member long here but even those who I dislike..I would bend over backwards to help them if I could.

Good luck and don't "wish" for things WORK FOR THEM!!!
Appreciate 4
EricVR4602.50
SixBanger182.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Hopefully his love life's not DOA...
it's like he's always stuck in second gear
Appreciate 1
Mingwan1891.00
      04-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #26
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I don't have goals
i listen to a lot of professionals on self development and your #1 problem is not having goals. i'm surprised your psychologist didn't hit on that. start small, and get to work on something.
      04-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #27
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

had something meaner written up, but probably not a good thing.

My advice is to find something you like to do, and do that. Also, you need to not lean on depression and ADHD as crutches so much. Hundreds of Millions of people struggle with these and are able to achieve great things.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      04-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #28
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Your post is very similar to one I have read in the past (maybe last year). Pharma tech, not going anywhere in job and life.

Are you the same person?
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      04-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #29
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
Your post is very similar to one I have read in the past (maybe last year). Pharma tech, not going anywhere in job and life.

Are you the same person?
Quote:

Are you the same person?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes
so once a year you post up this thread for sympathy points then do nothing to change your situation?

now i understand

Appreciate 4
DETRoadster11446.00
King Rudi13152.00
Run Silent15127.00
      04-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #31
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:

Are you the same person?
Oh damn! Good call. I had forgotten about that. Wow, you've got some memory. You should be counting card in Vegas or something.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #32
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Oh damn! Good call. I had forgotten about that. Wow, you've got some memory. You should be counting card in Vegas or something.
Believe it or not, I tried but not working out
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #33
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Quote:
Yes
so once a year you post up this thread for sympathy points then do nothing to change your situation?

now i understand
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Quote:
Yes

now i understand
Oh please. Not looking for rep points. I truly needed the advice and support, however if you don't believe it then I don't know what to tell you. Mental health is a huge problem that's overlooked, especially today. Don't be ignorant. Also, not hundreds and thousands of people have had 2 heart transplants either. : )
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
overcoil3068.50
      04-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Some of you here really lack sympathy and an understanding of mental illness. It's just a reflection of American society sadly.

Edit: wish I could help dude but I'm not really sure how. I think a lot of these issues/concerns (which are legitimate btw) are distracting you from fully focusing on what you need to do to improve your situation. You need to mentally just dedicate yourself to a career path and focus on your studies. Like some others have said, there's no shame in picking up a trade. A buddy of mine from high school just couldn't study worth a lick and dropped out of college after a year. He went to welding school and things have worked out for him. Met a girl too and they got married.

Sorry to hear about your Psychiatrist. I actually had a patient tell me today how everybody's gone cash only nowadays. She's having difficulty getting the help she needs.

Last edited by Germanauto; 04-10-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 3
SixBanger182.50
overcoil3068.50
      04-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #35
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Some of you here really lack sympathy and an understanding of mental illness. It's just a reflection of American society sadly.

Edit: wish I could help dude but I'm not really sure how. I think a lot of these issues/concerns (which are legitimate btw) are distracting you from fully focusing on what you need to do to improve your situation. You need to mentally just dedicate yourself to a career path and focus on your studies. Like some others have said, there's no shame in picking up a trade. A buddy of mine from high school just couldn't study worth a lick and dropped out of college after a year. He went to welding school and things have worked out for him. Met a girl too and they got married.

Sorry to hear about your Psychiatrist. I actually had a patient tell me today how everybody's gone cash only nowadays. She's having difficulty getting the help she needs.
Thank you very much.

Indeed! I called one PschD today and he wanted $200 per 45 minutes. No one wants to deal with the insurance companies anymore, its really sad. I found one I'll see very shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #36
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Oh please. Not looking for rep points. I truly needed the advice and support, however if you don't believe it then I don't know what to tell you. Mental health is a huge problem that's overlooked, especially today. Don't be ignorant. Also, not hundreds and thousands of people have had 2 heart transplants either. : )
That's a pretty inappropriate comment. Don't assume that anyone is ignorant about mental health. I deal with it in our workplace every day.

You come to a place where people are primarily here to talk about cars and open up about your personal situation and expect page long, nuanced responses? That's misguided. You've received a lot of sympathy, empathy, and constructive suggestions. Take them or not, but don't trash people.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 04-10-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      04-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #37
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
it's like he's always stuck in second gear
when it hasn't been his day, his week, his month
or even his year

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
Violator4587.50
MKSixer34171.50
      04-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #38
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
That's a pretty inappropriate comment. Don't assume that anyone is ignorant about mental health. I deal with it in our workplace every day.

You come to a place where people are primarily here to talk about cars and open up about your personal situation and expect page long, nuanced responses? That's misguided. You've received a lot of sympathy, empathy, and constructive suggestions. Take them or not, but don't trash people.
Oh Johnny, I liked your original comment much better....why did you go and edit it now? I didn't know where the fire was coming from, but it was at least entertaining. This....this is soft and kind and fluffy. Go back to the DSM-5 bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

My advice:

No one is better than blue collar. If you haven't got your hands dirty, you don't deserve a position that allows them to be clean. You have to start somewhere. Hard work builds character, integrity and work ethic. Do you think those "blue collars" are going to respect you if you haven't done it yourself?

Get up, get out and do something. I suffered from some very serious depression and mental illness myself. Therapy, meds and excuses did nothing for me. What worked was getting my ass up and getting something done. This gave me determination to finish what I started and then a sense of pride once it was completed. ADHD and mental illness are nothing more than rubber crutches. Everyone has issues. People that get my respect are those that don't bitch about their issues and trudge along anyway. Complaining about why things can't be done will only get you looked at with an opposing eye. Don't complain, don't explain why you can't do something and just do it. You'll feel better about yourself and people will respect you.

By no means am I trying to be an ass. I'm a very empathetic person with a huge heart. To me it sounds as if you are grasping at straws as to why things can't be done. Just light a fire under your own ass rocking out to an 80's movie style montage making your life the way you want it.

You need a montage! Even Rocky had a montage......

Appreciate 3
      04-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #40
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Oh Johnny, I liked your original comment much better....why did you go and edit it now? I didn't know where the fire was coming from, but it was at least entertaining. This....this is soft and kind and fluffy. Go back to the DSM-5 bit.
Soft and fluffy? Quick, my wife needs to read that

I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist so I decided I shouldn't try and sound like one. I have read tens of thousands of pages of medical records, reports, IME's, etc over my professional career and give advice to employers on their obligations to accommodate disabled employees so I wrote that from the perspective of my experiential knowledge ... but I thought it crossed over into making me sound like I was actually qualified to make those comments.

TL;DR: soft and fluffy was an inadvertent consequence.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      04-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #41
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Sorry man and not sure where you feel that. OP "may" has some mental issues, but making the same post about his same situation every now and then shows he needs a professional for help or he is just trying to earn some feel good sympathy from us here which does not solve his issues if he has any.

OP needs to be proactive and determined to change his own life or else no one can help you even the professional. Don't give yourself any excuses and get shit done.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #42
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

OP. Worth a read:

https://www.amazon.com/Chimp-Paradox.../dp/039916359X

Two phrases: The first is "if you don't like something change it, if you can't change it change your attitude towards it." And the second one is "you can't control how you feel, but you can control how you react to it."
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #43
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Hmmm, let's see here:

1) I've had ADHD since I was a child, but never took any medications for it. Made it tough for me when I was a child, but I manage just fine.

2) In the past, I frequently thought that everyone was better than me. As such, it caused much anxiety in my life and made me feel I needed to be better than I was.

So not too far off from you. What about now? I traveled the world with the US Military and subsequently with the US Government. Now I have a prominent job, multiple grad degrees, professional accreditation, and I own a Ferrari. Only you can make what you want out of life happen. Some of your comments strike me as very recognizable among myself in the distant past as well as others I've known through life.

Nothing anyone here is going to say to you will help until you decide to make things happen yourself. If your depression is very severe, then medication might be in order - otherwise, any meds for that or ADHD are only going to hinder you and enable your current poor behavior, not make it better. If you feel you are better than blue color, fine. I think that is an insulting statement, but if you feel that way, so be it. Now, currently you obviously are not better than blue collar, because you still live with your mommy and obviously have no self worth. Want to be better? Be. Better.

Get an education that you want. Suck it up and take 3-5 classes a semester and work twice as hard as the next guy to overcome any obstacles you have in life. Stop looking for others for your own self worth.

Alas - I doubt any of this will sink in, because you have apparently decided that 'it isn't worth the bother' to go out and make something of yourself.
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
arkie6397.00
      04-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #44
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ive had several friends succumb to mental health the last couple years so sorry, not sorry for calling you out on this. the self pity party leads you down the wrong path to where you think there is only 1 solution

People have given you great advice, both this time and last year, but you keep using mental health as a crutch. ADHD, sorry, is for the most part, a made up thing for over active people. Ive been told I have adhd by several DRs when i was younger, and yet here I am, doing fine and not using that to keep me from achieving what I want.

And while we're at it, lol at being better than blue collar. Learning a trade is going to be the best way to get into good money, especially since you say you cant take more than 1 class at a time in school. Ive cleared well into the 6 figures for nearly the last decade with one of those lowly blue collar jobs, and I have several people working for me that are getting paid more than that when you factor in OT wages and bonuses. Ive had projects where Electricians have been making $75hr +

Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
MKSixer34171.50