BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Question Looking for a subtle, but effective pre-workout

So in my day i've tried plenty of typical pre-workout products, that you can find at GNC or BodyBuilding.com. I am trying to steer clear of the really intense ones that get you super tingly and bouncing off the walls. I am pretty sure I was getting heart palpitations from using those after time.

I am currently using some energy products from Q5 which is a line of products mainly geared towards fighters. But they are much healthier than your typical chemical cocktail. The problem is I would not mind something a little more intense. I think they probably work, but very subtly in the background, and there is no rush at all.

I was hoping there is a product out there right in the middle of the spectrum. Enough of a kick so you can feel it, but not a bottle of pure heart throbbing fire like most GNC (think NO Explode) stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

1. Go to powdercity.com
2. Buy BCAA's, Creatine HCL, Beta Alanine, Caffeine and Citrulline Malate. If you are looking for more focus - add in Alpha GPC and Huperzine-A.
3. Add 5g BCAA, 2g Beta Alanine, 2g Creatine HCL, 100-200mg caffeine, and 6g Citrulline Malate.
4. You now have an extremely affordable, customizable preworkout that is better than 95% of supplements on the market. Most preworkouts I read have anywhere from 3g-6g in their proprietary blend. THAT IS UNDERDOSED GARBAGE! If you're skin gets tingly from the Beta Alanine, simply drop to 1-1.5g. If too stimulated, drop caffeine. For more mental focus, alpha GPC and huperzine are great.

These are all research proven supplements. If you ever are curious how they work, go to examine.com for unbiased scientific research on supplements and nutrition.

You can also make a great post workout with many of these same ingredients. Use BCAA, Creatine HCL, Glutamine and you have a great well dosed post workout.
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
So in my day i've tried plenty of typical pre-workout products, that you can find at GNC or BodyBuilding.com. I am trying to steer clear of the really intense ones that get you super tingly and bouncing off the walls. I am pretty sure I was getting heart palpitations from using those after time.

I am currently using some energy products from Q5 which is a line of products mainly geared towards fighters. But they are much healthier than your typical chemical cocktail. The problem is I would not mind something a little more intense. I think they probably work, but very subtly in the background, and there is no rush at all.

I was hoping there is a product out there right in the middle of the spectrum. Enough of a kick so you can feel it, but not a bottle of pure heart throbbing fire like most GNC (think NO Explode) stuff.
And if you don't want to make your own preworkout.... Buy JYM. Jim stoppani > all other supplement companies.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
...5g BCAA, 2g Beta Alanine, 2g Creatine HCL, 100-200mg caffeine, and 6g Citrulline Malate...
This.

I personally take more caffeine and beta alanine, and I prefer creatine post workout, but these are the best, most proven supplements. When cutting I add synephrine and yohimbine to this mix. I also prefer BCAA with a higher luceine content.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
This.

I personally take more caffeine and beta alanine, and I prefer creatine post workout, but these are the best, most proven supplements. When cutting I add synephrine and yohimbine to this mix. I also prefer BCAA with a higher luceine content.
Yes the BCAA should come in a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine to isoleucine/valine.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

you are correct, no bends at all. I recommend optimum or jim stopanni (JYM) products
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Go to powdercity.com
2. Buy BCAA's, Creatine HCL, Beta Alanine, Caffeine and Citrulline Malate. If you are looking for more focus - add in Alpha GPC and Huperzine-A.
3. Add 5g BCAA, 2g Beta Alanine, 2g Creatine HCL, 100-200mg caffeine, and 6g Citrulline Malate.
4. You now have an extremely affordable, customizable preworkout that is better than 95% of supplements on the market. Most preworkouts I read have anywhere from 3g-6g in their proprietary blend. THAT IS UNDERDOSED GARBAGE! If you're skin gets tingly from the Beta Alanine, simply drop to 1-1.5g. If too stimulated, drop caffeine. For more mental focus, alpha GPC and huperzine are great.

These are all research proven supplements. If you ever are curious how they work, go to examine.com for unbiased scientific research on supplements and nutrition.

You can also make a great post workout with many of these same ingredients. Use BCAA, Creatine HCL, Glutamine and you have a great well dosed post workout.
Amazing. Thank's alot! Definitely going to go through the site and put something together.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Amazing. Thank's alot! Definitely going to go through the site and put something together.
Absolutely man! Powdercity is amazing. Great customer service and prices. Also you can get fish oil, CLA, ZMA, Vitamin D3 for dirt cheap prices.

BTW, when you use raw supplements.. They are not flavored. Powdered Leucine tastes less than stellar. I recommend using Mio to cover up the taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely man! Powdercity is amazing. Great customer service and prices. Also you can get fish oil, CLA, ZMA, Vitamin D3 for dirt cheap prices.

BTW, when you use raw supplements.. They are not flavored. Powdered Leucine tastes less than stellar. I recommend using Mio to cover up the taste.
Actually Q5's D3 is amazing. Comes in liquid form in a little spray bottle. I fire that straight in before I have a drink of whatever. But as you hit on, I was already contemplating how I might make this taste halfway decent. Mio seems like a good option. Or I might just drop everything in here:
https://q5sn.com/collections/energy-...iant=594639013
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Actually Q5's D3 is amazing. Comes in liquid form in a little spray bottle. I fire that straight in before I have a drink of whatever. But as you hit on, I was already contemplating how I might make this taste halfway decent. Mio seems like a good option. Or I might just drop everything in here:
https://q5sn.com/collections/energy-...iant=594639013
You can try it mixed with there but there are many interactions between supplements so you need to be careful. Not sure how the dimethyglycine in the energy proprietary blend would interact with the supplements I recommended to you. If you do mix I would recommend starting with a small serving... then building towards the full to see how your body reacts to the supplements. It's a pretty safe rule of thumb to do this with all supplements.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes the BCAA should come in a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine to isoleucine/valine.
2:1:1 is standard. I like an even higher ratio of 3:1:1 or 4:1:1 as I train fasted in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
2:1:1 is standard. I like an even higher ratio of 3:1:1 or 4:1:1 as I train fasted in the morning.
Leucine is King. Have you ever tried HMB? I have read some research on it but never tried it. Its an active metabolite of Leucine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Leucine is King. Have you ever tried HMB? I have read some research on it but never tried it. Its an active metabolite of Leucine.
I'm aware of HMB but never taken it. Truthfully I've never really looked into the studies; I've just read the advertised benefits.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #14
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Ever tried caffeine pills?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Ever tried caffeine pills?
Yeah I have a bottle at the house. Stupid cheap. 200mg tablets x300 for $4 I believe? Only thing is I feel like coffee is so much better. Average cup of coffee is probably about 150mg of caffeine but when I drink a cup of coffee compared to a 200mg caffeine pill I feel much more stimulated.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #16
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
you are correct, no bends at all. I recommend optimum or jim stopanni (JYM) products
this is what I was going to suggest... PreJym is my favorite pre-workout by a mile and I've tried many of them. No tingles and if its a bit too strong just take 3/4 scoop and it will last you longer.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can try it mixed with there but there are many interactions between supplements so you need to be careful. Not sure how the dimethyglycine in the energy proprietary blend would interact with the supplements I recommended to you. If you do mix I would recommend starting with a small serving... then building towards the full to see how your body reacts to the supplements. It's a pretty safe rule of thumb to do this with all supplements.
So, I did this and it could be one of the best supplement moves i've made in years. My mix is basically in line with your recommendations and it's better than any pre-made pre-workout i've ever taken. It works faster, and lasts longer. There is a good rush, but it's not peaky, or over the top. And i'm only at 100mg of Caffeine (200mg of powder). It just hovered at a perfect level through my whole workout. As a matter of fact, when I was technically done, I wound up standing there thinking of what the hell else I could do because I didn't want to leave. Not in a long time have i felt like that. I might add some focus to the recipe, but in all it's great.

I also did mix it with Warrior Orange and it seemed fine. I might try splashing in a little bit of berry smoothie that I usually get from the market, which is pretty thick so it should make for a decent taste even with just a splash.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #18
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So, I did this and it could be one of the best supplement moves i've made in years. My mix is basically in line with your recommendations and it's better than any pre-made pre-workout i've ever taken. It works faster, and lasts longer. There is a good rush, but it's not peaky, or over the top. And i'm only at 100mg of Caffeine (200mg of powder). It just hovered at a perfect level through my whole workout. As a matter of fact, when I was technically done, I wound up standing there thinking of what the hell else I could do because I didn't want to leave. Not in a long time have i felt like that. I might add some focus to the recipe, but in all it's great.

I also did mix it with Warrior Orange and it seemed fine. I might try splashing in a little bit of berry smoothie that I usually get from the market, which is pretty thick so it should make for a decent taste even with just a splash.
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! I have used that exact recipe for months now and I have no desire to go to anything else. I don't ever feel like the effects decrease over time and I agree you don't need tons of caffeine to feel focused and driven. Also, enjoy the cash savings

Another thing that I buy from powdercity are daily nootropic stacks to help regulate anxiety levels/focus levels at work. If you are ever looking to feel more relaxed at work and more focused, try this blend in the morning before you go:

Ashwaganda - 500mg
Rhodiola Rosea - 250mg
L-theanine - 200mg

Ashwaganda and Rhodiola Rosea are herbal supplements used in many countries of the world. L-theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that promotes energy and focus while being anxiolytic.

Last edited by The Chaddening; 03-30-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I might add some focus to the recipe, but in all it's great.
You can also add Betaine Anhydrous(trimethlyglycine) 1.5g (to increase Nitric Oxide) and Taurine 1g(for strength and endurance).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! I have used that exact recipe for months now and I have no desire to go to anything else. I don't ever feel like the effects decrease over time and I agree you don't need tons of caffeine to feel focused and driven. Also, enjoy the cash savings to my friend

Another thing that I buy from powdercity are daily nootropic stacks to help regulate anxiety levels/focus levels at work. If you are ever looking to feel more relaxed at work and more focused, try this blend in the morning before you go:

Ashwaganda - 500mg
Rhodiola Rosea - 250mg
L-theanine - 200mg

Ashwaganda and Rhodiola Rosea are herbal supplements used in many countries of the world. L-theanine is an amino acid found in green tea that promotes energy and focus while being anxiolytic.
Quote:
You can also add Betaine Anhydrous(trimethlyglycine) 1.5g (to increase Nitric Oxide) and Taurine 1g(for strength and endurance).
I'll look all this up too. Gracias!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

What you're looking for is called dextroamphetamine. Nothing available over the counter is going to be remotely effective at doing anything other than spiking your blood pressure / heart rate and making you nervous. Note, that's 100% true but it's also not a serious suggestion. You don't want to be modifying your reward centers to force naturally unmotivating activity unless you really, really have to.

That said, you should be working out because it GETS YOU NATURALLY HIGH. If working out doesn't get you high in a way that's addictive, you're not doing it right. If it's really that much of a drag try some cannabis.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
What you're looking for is called dextroamphetamine. Nothing available over the counter is going to be remotely effective at doing anything other than spiking your blood pressure / heart rate and making you nervous. Note, that's 100% true but it's also not a serious suggestion. You don't want to be modifying your reward centers to force naturally unmotivating activity unless you really, really have to.

That said, you should be working out because it GETS YOU NATURALLY HIGH. If working out doesn't get you high in a way that's addictive, you're not doing it right. If it's really that much of a drag try some cannabis.
Yea it's called I have a busy career and tons of other shit to do, like many people, and a pre-workout boost is an extremely helpful tool to get in and get the job done as best as possible. Who said it's a drag? Just because somebody says they need a pre-workout to feel optimal, that does not mean they are naturally unmotivated. If I had nothing else to worry about, and all the time in the world, trust me i'd be in the gym at the prime time and knocking shit out day in and day out, probably with little need for many supps.
Appreciate 0