BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #1
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

2008 550i battery wire running from positive cable to negative cable?

Hello guys. I purchased a 2008 550i from someone who let it sit for several months. I purchased a new battery and installed today and found a wire in that black corrugated sheathing running from the pos terminal that should plug into the negative terminal. I didn't know where it plugged in until just seeing a photo online. Does anyone know what this wire is for? I'm getting no crank,no click etc. All lights power up but nothing and hoping this wire might be starter? Thanks in advance for the help.:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:16 PM   #2
rustydennis1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 525i e60 m54 mask business

IBS , (intelligent Battery System) it talks to alternator and ECU about state of charge, load value and how much juice the battery needs to maintain all the moduels and how much voltage the battery will need to be compensated in order to always maintain enough power (11.7 or higher) so that the owners of the machine will never experience a no start due to a dead battery....It's rather ingenious if you ask me; however , when you do not update the software and introduce a new battery to the ECU, (registering) then the ECU and other controller models will immediately notice a break in PATTERNS....Now , the mind of the machine doesn't really know what to do and since the #1 MIND is on high alert and looking for quil answers from its specialized department under-controllers (processor compilers) they too are processing constant brakes in the machines patterns....
They will eventually relearn everything and return to normal but you can see how chaos can insue from just minor mistakes and /or bad choices in the area of Proper Maintenence Responsibility....Here is an example of what I just explained, a metaphor per se: It's July 4th and you have all the family out the lake...well let's say there are 20 youngsters ranging from 10 to 18 and the majority are boys....you buy enough Roman candles to where the grand kids can have their annual "flares forever" game...basically you have a dozen or better 2 Gallon trash bags full of these roman candles near by....the kids have altered their usual boundary lines of the front yard and now they are closer to the bags of fireworks.....yep , you know what's next , and when the fireworks begin going off unexpectedly in all directions it becomes a very concerning situation and at the time it almost appears as though things are not going to be alright again...
the bmw system has many candles all flaring off in controlled sequencing but when the "NO NO" boundary lines are compromised , all hell brakes loose...the fireworks are the electrons firing off throughout the machines electrical system (voltage) in turn causing it to move through time and space ....exactly like all humans do as well....we have our moments of chaos and disarray and for a small instance we perceive it as the END of the world as we know it....BUT, as quickly as the storm came upon us and darkness covered light , it was over in a heartbeat....Everything is connected, everything.....and if you pay attention to something long enough it will always tell you what the problem is, so you can fix it....you just have to pay attention to it...it's in your top 3 largest investments as we speak...now pay attention to that...
Appreciate 0