BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-11-2024, 08:15 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I **literally** avoided death by a fraction of an inch a few days ago......

I’ll start out by saying that if I was in a car instead of on my bike, I’d be dead right now instead of only very sore-- it would have been a non-avoidable head-on collision.

This occurred last Friday so I've had a few days in the saddle since then to really analyze what happened.

I was on Day 1 of a 35-day Denver-Seattle-British Columbia-Alaska-Yukon and return trip programmed for 35 days, riding a 2015 GS. The bike was loaded with side cases, a top case and three (lightweight) dry bags as I'll be camping the majority of the time I'm on the trip.

The bike was in excellent mechanical condition, but was obviously heavy. I was also riding on new (~300 miles) Dunlop Trailmax Mission's instead of my previous Michelin Street 6's.

My wife followed me from Denver to Steamboat Springs in her Miata. We had lunch at Salt & Lime (highly recommended) and then I continued solo westbound on the two-lane US Route 40 from Steamboat Springs to Dinosaur National Monument while she went to the hot springs and spent the night.

Just past where Hwy 14 intersects at Elk Springs (about 1+40 from Steamboat, 30 minutes from my campsite), I was approaching a gentle ascending, left banking, late-apex turn. I was in the right half of my lane with the cruise control set at 70. Guardrail on the right, posted speed limit of 65. The turn was one of those late-apex ones where you can’t really see anyone in the other lane until you’re cresting and committed to the turn.

Just as I was coming up on the top of the curve, a very, VERY large Super-Duty pickup (think: GMC or Dodge Ram) came around the corner towing a VERY large, VERY long full-size RV trailer. The truck had (and this is key) large extended mirrors- the ones that come out 2-3x farther than a normal mirror.

My best guess on closure rate (me at 70, him at 75) was about 145mph. That would make for both vehicles moving together at about 200-210 feet per second.

When I first saw him come up and over the crest (and I remember this very distinctly), his front grill was just about halfway over the double-yellow line and moving into me as he continued around the corner. I'm guessing that he was moving at least 10 over the speed limit, took the corner too fast and all of that mass pushed him to his left as he crested the apex..... right into my lane.

Even though I was in the right half of my lane, it wasn't enough. I was leaning left and about to have a head-on collision with 3-4 tons of metal.

What surprised me later was how FAST things happened-- there were only a couple seconds before impact and honestly, there really wasn't TIME to think/analyze-- my reactions were pretty much instinctual in an "I don't want to die" way. It was a perfect storm of how to be killed on your bike when you're doing everything right. Huge truck and trailer coming over a blind corner, right at the apex, well into my lane, and with a guardrail to my right.

I was already established in the left lean going around the corner and it took a second for my brain to understand what I was seeing-- that the center his grill was (by now) over the double yellow line and sliding further into me. The prehistoric ballistic computer installed in my brain did some quick math and came up with "You're about to die". I braked hard and started to reverse the lean from my left to the right. I'm pretty sure I instinctively ducked a little to the right-- all I could see of the truck and trailer was a HUGE mass in front of me as we came together.

What happened next was (and continues to be) a bit of a blur.

My left mirror literally **VAPORIZED**, showering me with glass and plastic (although I didn't notice until after I'd stopped). At the same time, I felt an *unbelievably* hard hit on my left shoulder (and yeah, THAT hurt- it felt like I'd just been hit by a sledgehammer). There was a blur of brown and white as I slid past the RV trailer and it took about a half-second for me to realize that I was still in the game and the bike hadn't gone down.

I somehow avoided the guard rail (which ended right after the turn) and managed to bring the bike to a stop on the right shoulder. I was able to pull in the clutch and kill the engine, although at this point I thought that at a minimum, I'd broken my clavicle. Then, it took a few seconds for me to figure out that I was still alive and start to analyze what had just happened.

My best guess is that I reacted *just* fast enough to turn my vector away from him, turning a head-on into a sideswipe. In doing so, the bike started to roll right, bringing the left mirror up, impacting his extended-length side-view mirror and turning mine into glass and plastic confetti. Since I had European aspheric glass installed over the normal mirror glass, there was twice as much fragmentation than you'd expect-- I even found glass in my tent the next morning.

From there, my left shoulder hit his mirror and I continued past the RV trailer and point of impact.

What saved my shoulder is that I was wearing an armored Klim Induction jacket and the impact point was (very luckily) *just* where the armor was. That took some of the impact force and kept me from breaking any bones.

As it was, the impact slightly tore the kevlar over the armor. I also had a nice, dusty outline of the truck's mirror on the jacket surface.

And now the best part:

THE RAT-BASTARD IN HIS SUPER-DUTY **NEVER** CAME BACK TO CHECK ON ME.

I stayed off the bike for at least 45 minutes to let the adrenaline rush (and shakes) die down and get to a place mentally where I would be able to ride the final 30 minutes to my campsite.

The driver NEVER came back to check on me. He sure as hell knew there'd been an impact, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a full-on hit and run. I really wish I'd had a camera installed so I could have had a record of what happened and been able to see his license plate.

With any luck, I ripped the mirror off of his door, or at least shattered it.

But, I survived. A lot of bruising and pain, but nothing broken. The jacket has a small tear in it from the force of the impact (YAY, Klim-- their jacket and armor saved my shoulder!), and my European aspheric mirror is now literally shards of glass and plastic.

Pain is managed by OTC medication as I continue the ride (although the bruising/hemotoma at this point is kind of spectacular, and I apparently hit a rib as well). Jacket will be be repaired when I get back home next month. I had my buddy raid my Spares Box in my basement and he FedEx'd a new set of OEM mirrors to my dad's house (I'm going to install them today). New aspheric glass was ordered from Hoenig and I'll install that when I get back home.

Lessons learned?

It happened when I least expected it. I was well in the right half of my lane just riding along with cruise control engaged, on a two-lane road with light traffic and good weather.

I went from enjoying the ride to almost losing my life in literally 2-3 seconds. Five seconds earlier or later and this wouldn't have happened.

ATGATT saved me. Klim stuff is expensive, but SO worth it. I think that if I didn't have the magic D30 armor (and the luck to get hit *exactly* where it was), I would have broken my clavicle at a minimum and probably would have lost control of the bike, which would not have ended well.

I'm still boggled that the driver didn't come back to see if I was hurt or killed. What kind of asshat *does* that? He sure as hell can't claim that he never knew he hit me-- that impact was HARD.

R.
Attached Images

Llarry20255.50
M_Six18562.00
Buug95921301.50
3798j12665.50
Lady Jane78746.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
vreihen1619086.50
Ingraman155.50
Gemini562161.00
xander_g1055.50
rcaso26335.50
CamasM3e933476.50
3.0L9703.00
fraschusa215.00
M5Rick66295.00
wrickem2139.00
CJ4211787.00
Bruuuce361.00
      07-11-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 6-spd FS & 2025 M850ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I’ll start out by saying that if I was in a car instead of on my bike, I’d be dead right now instead of only very sore-- it would have been a non-avoidable head-on collision.

// snip//

And now the best part:

THE RAT-BASTARD IN HIS SUPER-DUTY **NEVER** CAME BACK TO CHECK ON ME.
Glad it turned out the way it did. Hopefully karma will get the sonuvabitch!
flybigjet7503.00
Buug95921301.50
vreihen1619086.50
nyalpine907415.00
      07-11-2024, 09:08 PM   #3
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Holy hell, I just got the chills reading that. I can’t even comprehend what that adrenaline dump must have felt like. At least you’re in some great outdoor space to decompress and take in everything that happened. Very impressed with your quick reaction time and goes to show how buying quality gear can truly save you. Thank you for taking time to share your story and very happy that you are safe!

In regards to the driver, karma comes around. The big man upstairs is watching and he will have his day. You don’t commit a heinous act like that (almost killing someone) and it doesn’t come back around.
Appreciate 4
flybigjet7503.00
vreihen1619086.50
2000cs3755.50
      07-11-2024, 09:17 PM   #4
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Holy cow man. Scary stuff. Glad you're relatively alright!! May the rest of your trip be free of any similar nonsense.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-11-2024, 09:18 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

First, glad you're alive.

Second, glad you're okay.

Third, this is a post for any motorcycle rider, wear your helmet and wear proper gear.

Fourth, super duty pick up drivers are genuinely some of the worst human beings on the planet. They truly have a personality disorder and a small PP syndrome that makes them buy these trucks and they have absolutely no regard for human life. I have taken care of people who have been in catastrophic accidents for a quarter century. In virtually every case, the big pickup driver had sociopathic and narcissistic personality disorder traits. Almost invariably, when we dive into their childhood, they were typically bullies and had significant disciplinary and behavior issues as children.

So I'm not surprised that he didn't stop to check to see if you're alive. He generally doesn't care and looks at you as a small flea on the planet. Who knows, maybe he purposely hit you because he thought that you were in a more fuel efficient vehicle. I'm telling you, they are absolutely insane.

Again, glad you are okay.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-11-2024, 09:48 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

That guy is a piece of shit.

Glad you’re still with us. 👍
Appreciate 5
flybigjet7503.00
vreihen1619086.50
      07-11-2024, 10:14 PM   #7
NotMe
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335 & 2002 E46M3

Had a similar event almost 25 years ago. 2 lane road and a big truck in both lanes. I was committed to the corner and had to stand it up and flew off the road into the hillside. Dickhead did not stop and I'm now a paraplegic. Not looking for sympathy but this stuff sucks and only seems to be getting worse.
Appreciate 4
flybigjet7503.00
Llarry20255.50
vreihen1619086.50
      07-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Yikes! That sux, and on the first day, no less. I hope that's the sum of all badness on this trip. You've paid your dues.

I learned the hard way that jeans are no match for gravel and asphalt when I was riding. After my crash, I bought a full Kevlar suit like yours. Luckily I never had to put it to the test like you did.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 05:46 AM   #9
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Holy shit! I was getting chills reading that. Glad you are OK and yes, what a dickhead.
      07-12-2024, 05:46 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Glad you were able to react quickly enough to minimize the damage in an incident that could have had a much worse outcome.

I agree with ATGATT and practice this each time I take the bike out. We always have to be vigilant and situationally aware.

I think getting checked out by medical professionals is a good idea as well, while your waiting for your tires and mirror to be delivered.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, OP.
      07-12-2024, 06:56 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Glad to hear you are ok! Good call on the gear!

I have this internal rule that I only ride a motorcycle as far away from others and with minimal traffic... I also avoid areas with curves, intersections and any roads with higher speed limits... yes, its extremely limiting and often defeats the purpose but it makes me feel a bit better... this guy seems like the typical a hole that doesn't pay attention to his surroudnings... chances are maybe he didn't even know he hit you.
      07-12-2024, 07:16 AM   #12
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

That's terrifying, glad you're alive.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 07:31 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Wow, glad you're ok!

Truck = burn them all
Trailers = burn them all
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2024, 07:33 AM   #14
DHDCF
Insert_Rank_Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 FPG I4 M50 - Sep build

I was scrolling down...slowly...and came to the last pic where I let out a "whoa, wasn't expecting to see a half-naked man" and the girls in the office were all....what what what??

One suggested not posting that. another suggested a good waxing. the third just stared.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 07:53 AM   #15
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Jesus H, glad you're Ok but that is so, so infuriating. I keep telling my kids, when you're driving, you are driving, don't focus on anything else. If you were not paying attention this would have ended worse.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #16
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Whoa. Very very glad to see that you survived to post this! Isn't this the second time you dodged the Grim Reaper? I would start buying lottery tickets if I were you....

Lesson to appreciate every day in every way because everything can change in a fraction of a second.

Safe travels the rest of your journey!
Appreciate 1
flybigjet7503.00
      07-12-2024, 08:29 AM   #17
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Yikes, glad you're ok!

The increase in people wanting to get out "camping" and buying large travel trailers and tow vehicles is becoming a bigger issue than it was pre-cword. I see so many people that have no business driving a combination that large. They drive too fast, they don't know how to control sway or when to anticipate it, don't know how to navigate turns, they don't realize how much of the lane they actually need... I wish states would start requiring training and license classes for these types of rigs and setups. Joe Schmo that has only ever driven a Honda CRV has no business behind the wheel of a F350 pulling a 40ft 5th wheel, or a 40ft motorhome pulling a 40ft enclose trailer...

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 5
flybigjet7503.00
antgenn340.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 08:46 AM   #18
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHDCF View Post
I was scrolling down...slowly...and came to the last pic where I let out a "whoa, wasn't expecting to see a half-naked man" and the girls in the office were all....what what what??

One suggested not posting that. another suggested a good waxing. the third just stared.
I'm 58 and married. Being fuzzy is the *least* of my worries.

R.
DHDCF415.00
      07-12-2024, 08:57 AM   #19
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Whoa. Very very glad to see that you survived to post this! Isn't this the second time you dodged the Grim Reaper? I would start buying lottery tickets if I were you....
On the plus side?

I learned that the five cardiac stents work *just* fine when under pressure!!!

Yeah-- if I was a cat, I'd be starting to get worried about the number of lives I'm using up right about now.

On the other hand, I'm heading up to British Columbia, Alaska and the Yukon on the bike next week.

They have bears.

And I'm in a tent.

What could possibly go wrong?

R.
cmyx6go16580.00
vreihen1619086.50
Llarry20255.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
antgenn340.00
Buug95921301.50
fraschusa215.00
      07-12-2024, 09:12 AM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Holy smokes bud... THIS story is why my wife won't let me get a motorcycle. She has no problem with me getting a dirtbike, but big NO to anything on the road. It's the other folks you have to worry about. Here's to hoping that you took care of all of your issues early in your trip and the rest is a breeze... Best of luck. I remember your post in another thread about this trip - sounds like it's going to be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
On the plus side?

I learned that the five cardiac stents work *just* fine when under pressure!!!

Yeah-- if I was a cat, I'd be starting to get worried about the number of lives I'm using up right about now.

On the other hand, I'm heading up to British Columbia, Alaska and the Yukon on the bike next week.

They have bears.

And I'm in a tent.

What could possibly go wrong?

R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
rebekahb3178.00
vreihen1619086.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
hubbahubba10836.00
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #21
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I'm glad you're ok, you were very lucky. My wife quit riding years ago because of too many close calls that happened when she was doing everything right (probably why she is still alive). The breaking point for her was riding home from work on the Gardener Expressway in Toronto when she was side swiped by a woman in an Escalade doing highway speed using the rearview mirror to put on her make up. Lisa was lucky that she didn't dump the bike but she got off the highway and parked the bike and took a good long time to shake it off.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1619086.50
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
Buug95921301.50
      07-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #22
erickonphoenix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Glad you made it out alive, that could have been so much worse.

I'd file that hit and run with the county and see if they can't track the truck down.
Llarry20255.50
Buug95921301.50