BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

View Poll Results: What percentage of one's monthly income should one spend on a luxury watch?
<1% 29 30.85%
1-5% 12 12.77%
5-10% 17 18.09%
>10% 36 38.30%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #67
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuS View Post
I assume you are not financing a watch so comparing it to monthly car payments vs. the percentage of your income is irrelevent. Buy the nicest watch you can afford or save up for it. A good watch should last you a lifetime.
or pick your hobbies. If you make 300,000 a year... and have an m3, and go on ski trips, and live in nyc/miami, and spend 10k a month on dating/ drinking/ social, and like nice clothes, maybe don't buy a 20k rolex....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #68
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wow just read through this thread and had a good laugh but honestly very little of it made any sense to me. My only watch rule is I do not buy anything unless I have wanted the exact same watch for 6 months. I am so fickle when it comes to watches, I have an IWC Aquatimer which I love, my father's Omega that he bought with his first paycheck, and an Ice plastic bullshit watch that I wear around the house or to the gym. That's about it. Have been shopping for an additional watch forever but cannot find anything that satisfies my only rule.

BTW FWIW the only people who give a shit about watches are dudes, specifically other watch dudes. Spending $3-5K on something preowned is all you really need to do to have something nice. Once you get beyond that level you are getting into complications and exotic materials and whatnot and it's purely if you want to go there and it makes you happy. If you want something that's gonna get your dick sucked, go spend $500 on a pair of Gucci loafers or a belt with a huge logo on it. Chicks pay attention to shoes, not watches. Now if you want your dick sucked by a super duper watch geek dude, then spend the money on the moon master repeater don't have to set the date for 300 years level stuff.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #69
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

Stand out point to me - rule of thumb for house is 2x annual income. ???
Maybe 30 years ago, I'm looking at buying my first house next year and I'll be spending 5-6x my annual Income for a small family home.

Really it all depends on how you feel about watches. I'm not really a watch person so I wouldn't spend thousands but I wouldn't think twice about spending thousands on a new mountain bike.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #70
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
What percentage of one's brain should be occupied by such vacuous thoughts?

Zero.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #71
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I am sure someone most likely already said this, but if you need to finance a nice watch you shouldn't be wearing one!
Appreciate 0