BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

11-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #309
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
What's clear at this late stage in the season is a chink has been found in the Mercs and they are fallible.I have stated in a previous post that there is more to their engines than a connecting rod from the compressor to the turbine, the rod passing through the V of the engine to connect them giving a quicker turbo response but not necessarily on the straights.
So how come they have been quicker in the first part..I can't see it through just the split turbo. We've seen the trick wheels to aid cooling the tyres and the mysterious 'hole' in the hub.I think these are just distractions from another performance boost which has been removed now to avoid detection and the suspect is unchecked fuel pressure that they playfully accused another team of.
the separation of the compressor from the turbine also gave them cooler charge as well, no?
      11-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #310
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
the separation of the compressor from the turbine also gave them cooler charge as well, no?
The denser air with smaller intercooler is negated by the closed up bodywork they needed, was already on the limit in Spielberg.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #311
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Atleast his engine made it further without taking engine penalties than the Hondas.

We won't know where all teams stand, but Honda has release their upgraded engines and had more upgrades this year and Merc hasn't had to. As mentioned previously Merc also has more time to spend on developing next years car. So we really won't know where things stand until next year.
The RB Honda engines didn't failed once in this season . They upgraded to the Spec-4 , that's why they got a grid penalty .

But Bottas got white smoke on his A$$...I heard Lewis is already worried now for in Abu Dhabi => https://racing-elite.com/2019/11/20/...ent-threatens/

As for next year a dogfight from Honda vs Merc would be great
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58879.50
      11-26-2019, 02:47 AM   #312
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
The RB Honda engines didn't failed once in this season . They upgraded to the Spec-4 , that's why they got a grid penalty .

But Bottas got white smoke on his A$$...I heard Lewis is already worried now for in Abu Dhabi => https://racing-elite.com/2019/11/20/...ent-threatens/

As for next year a dogfight from Honda vs Merc would be great
It'll be fun watching calamity overtake Bottas trying to get past traffic when he's ten maybe more places down with that penalty
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 03:02 AM   #313
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
With Bottas pushing so hard to maximum for that 1 point then lunching the engine I doubt if they are conserving anything and simply Ham has the better engine,seemingly always.
Or maybe Hamilton is just looking after his engine better.....
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:21 AM   #314
M5Rick
General
Rep

Being out in front has helped with his engine tractability but once he falls behind especially in the latter part of season he becomes one of the rest.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 04:29 AM   #315
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Being out in front has helped with his engine tractability but once he falls behind especially in the latter part of season he becomes one of the rest.
That is due to the aero inefficiency of the Merc when following other cars, and not the engine reliability.

Hamilton is in a class of his own when it come to maximising the performance of a race car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #316
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post

Hamilton is in a class of his own when it come to maximising the performance of a race car.
Indeed...even when this year, the Merc has obviously often not been the fastest car he can still takes the win.
The ability to consistently get the exact and maximum required performance from his car lap after lap without over driving or crashing into other cars is what sets him apart from all the other drivers...past and present.
Cue a flood of verstappen photos and fan posts.
Appreciate 1
Infamus75.00
      11-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #317
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
That is due to the aero inefficiency of the Merc when following other cars, and not the engine reliability.

I can't see how a highly stressed F1 engine can be 'babied' with Bottas's seemingly similar engined car busting a gut just to hang on to him.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #318
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Indeed...even when this year, the Merc has obviously often not been the fastest car he can still takes the win.
The ability to consistently get the exact and maximum required performance from his car lap after lap without over driving or crashing into other cars is what sets him apart from all the other drivers...past and present.
I see Ham has put his name down for the beeb Sports Personality of the Year. .
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #319
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Fact...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #320
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
beeb Sports Personality of the Year.
Ben Stokes gets my vote.
Hint: the clue is in the word "nomination"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #321
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can't see how a highly stressed F1 engine can be 'babied' with Bottas's seemingly similar engined car busting a gut just to hang on to him.
Shifting earlier, down shifting later, short shifting before corners, just to name a few.

I once had an overheating car in a race at Kyalami. Where I would normally shift at 7800rpm, I dialled it back to just over 7000rpm. I lost one place, but finished the race.

You get people who are very fast, but also very hard on cars, and then you get people who are very fast, but know how to get a car to the end.

One of many traits a top racing driver have.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #322
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Shifting earlier, down shifting later, short shifting before corners, just to name a few.

I once had an overheating car in a race at Kyalami. Where I would normally shift at 7800rpm, I dialled it back to just over 7000rpm. I lost one place, but finished the race.

You get people who are very fast, but also very hard on cars, and then you get people who are very fast, but know how to get a car to the end.

One of many traits a top racing driver have.
Naturally downshifting later and short shifting will make the PU last longer and in your case it was beneficial, it's only I can't see Ham doing that many times when leading the pack and with the points haul.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #323
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

there are tons of factors that can fail an engine especially for Formula 1 engine.. Bottas already had a warning from the team that temps are getting higher than optimal.. but he chosen to ignore it.. actually there is nothing lose for this season anyway.. was it a good choice no, but still something cause it could ve worked.. and there is a lot of different combinations on the steering wheel that adjusts engine mapping and more.. most the race cars dont have cause of regulations or financial part.. since oil consumption is limited in F1 even with the flow rate, only a richer AFR and lower boost could settle the things down easily.. but Bottas had to lose his pace.. they chose not to..

actually the thing i hate the most the temps go high easier than before.. yes teams are keeping the cooling systems minimal almost at the level to survive the race with free flow to shave time.. its ok but after some point if you re not a leading car, and you need to overtake but you cant because you cant get closer is such a stupid thing.. that optimal range should be wider.. its pretty narrow in recent 1-2 years and it sucks..