BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
BMWFredo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 528i

New to BMW ownership, can I DIY battery replacement

Hello everyone, our family now has a low mileage 2009 BMW 528i.

It is not driven much, and is in great shape, though the battery needed help in the winter (we had to jump it a couple of times) when it had not been driven for a couple of weeks. The last owner did not have the month/year marked on the battery, so I'm not sure of the age, other than to say it is at least 2 years old.

I called around and it sounds like this could be a $650+ job with the dealership.
If it is just an old battery, is this something I can do by myself? I've done that plenty of times before in Buick, Ford, Toyota, Volvo, etc, but it looks like BMW has some electronics involved now with having to "register" the battery and I think reset some of the electronics.

Do I need some type of eletronic/tool/code reader/cable to a laptop, etc?

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
gereonb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

You can do it yourself and then register it with an App like bimmercode ($35?) and a ELM32 dongle/cable (around $15).
The registering is just telling the ECU the age and TYPE (acid/AGM) of battery so it can charge it accordingly without overcharging or undercharging, it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 05:47 AM   #3
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFredo View Post
Hello everyone, our family now has a low mileage 2009 BMW 528i.

It is not driven much, and is in great shape, though the battery needed help in the winter (we had to jump it a couple of times) when it had not been driven for a couple of weeks. The last owner did not have the month/year marked on the battery, so I'm not sure of the age, other than to say it is at least 2 years old.

I called around and it sounds like this could be a $650+ job with the dealership.
If it is just an old battery, is this something I can do by myself? I've done that plenty of times before in Buick, Ford, Toyota, Volvo, etc, but it looks like BMW has some electronics involved now with having to "register" the battery and I think reset some of the electronics.

Do I need some type of eletronic/tool/code reader/cable to a laptop, etc?

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!
An easy DIY. I bet Many YouTube videos will walk you through it.
Appreciate 0