BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
sshumast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 530xi

2007 530xi problems (AWD, DSC, ABS, and EMERG EBV)

Hello,

I am new to the forum and the BMW world. I purchased my first BMW, a 2007 530xi about 6 months ago, and love it. Let me apologize if this is a repost, but I did a lot of searching and could not find the answer.

The car has been great up until yesterday, when I started to experience some problems. The problem that I am currently having is when I turn off the ignition I hear 2 clunking sounds, the first being louder than the second, coming from the front end. It sounds like a mechanical issue, but I am not sure. The car operates fine while driving, without any odd vibrations or sounds. It shifts through all six gears without effort.

Today, on my drive home, the following message popped up on the iDrive screen (AWD, DSC, ABS, and EMERG EBV). From what I have read, most answers pointed to the battery, but I checked it and it was fine.

The car that I own is a 2007 530xi, manual trans, with 49K miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If need be, I can post a sound clip of what the car does. And if you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Shane550X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i xDrive, '13 VW CC,

Most likely an electrical problem in the electrical/circuit box. My fathers 04 545i was acting up from the electrical box malfunctioning(lost ABS DCS etc.). Check that out.
Shane
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
sshumast
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane550X View Post
Most likely an electrical problem in the electrical/circuit box. My fathers 04 545i was acting up from the electrical box malfunctioning(lost ABS DCS etc.). Check that out.
Shane
Thanks, I was thinking the same, possibly a sensor or something along those lines.

I went to an independent shop today, and the guy told me it was possibly the starter, which doesnt make sense since it only makes a clunking noise when turning off the car. Also went to the dealer, who told me that its most likely the transfer case, which I am not too excited about since it would cost a pretty penny fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
sshumast
Registered
Rep

So I went to the dealership to get this problem diagnosed and they found that the transfer case actuator motor went bad. I found that this was a common problem in e60, E90, and some X3s.

Would it be possible for me to do this myself? I have worked on some cars in the past, just never BMWs. Where would be the best/cheapest place to buy BMW parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0