BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

08-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

URGENT - E60 cut off while driving, stuck in parking lot.

I see these two icons in the cluster. Key icon when I insert the key fob in the slot. Steering wheel and lock icon after pressing the start button. Car will not start. The ignition won't even switch on. Stuck in a parking lot.

Before dying, cluster showed the gear icon (trans) and iDrive said, "Transmission malfunction, something something can be engaged without something something pressing the brake something something moderately something something system checked."

It all happened fast, was on the road, car stuttered, had to pull into a parking lot quickly.

So I'm stuck here and have no clue what just happened. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Had it towed to a shop. All this because it was a bad battery. Sheesh! Hope this helps the next person if they come across similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamirAtl
Had it towed to a shop. All this because it was a bad battery. Sheesh! Hope this helps the next person if they come across similar issues.
I was going to guess bad battery, these cars are really sensitive to voltage changes and a bad battery can cause all sorts of issues. glad it wasn't anything more serious for you
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

While driving today, iDrive displayed the following message: "Charging Malfunction".

Going to take it back to the shop to see what may be causing this since I've already replaced the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
While driving today, iDrive displayed the following message: "Charging Malfunction".

Going to take it back to the shop to see what may be causing this since I've already replaced the battery.
there was a recall on the e60 for a battery cable, maybe check to see it has had the recall service performed. also, check for water in the spare tire well, if the roof drains get plugged up water collects there and can fry the mpm module (conveniently located under the spare)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #6
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:

there was a recall on the e60 for a battery cable, maybe check to see it has had the recall service performed. also, check for water in the spare tire well, if the roof drains get plugged up water collects there and can fry the mpm module (conveniently located under the spare)
Will look into the cable recall. There was water in the battery well a while ago so I permanently removed the drain plug. Thankfully, have not seen water in there since.

As an FYI, I have access to salvage/wrecked vehicles so I pulled a good battery from a newly arrived BMW, which was good. I've been told to only register a new battery. Anyone know if I should register the used battery I installed?
Appreciate 0