BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

08 5 series shifter assembly replacement

Hi guys,
I just recently had my 5 series taken in for diagnostics. My AS informed me that the automatic shifter threw codes, and the entire shifter assembly needs to be replaced. If it isn't replaced, the car may not be able to come out of gear. Is this a common issue with the 08-10 5 series? If I do go forward with the replacement, the dealer wants $1800. What are my options? Should I get the repair done at an Indy or the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

The electronic shifter was a gremlin since it was introduced in 08. My first 535i was stuck and could not shift to drive. Had to mess with it to get it engaged. Dealer put a new one under warranty. That was back in 08. Just bought a 550i with sport shift, reverse was messed up. Keep throwing codes but had 4 days warranty left so they put a brand new one on.
Anyhow, if i didnt had warranty, a new shifter cost about $230(bmwandmbparts.com). Swap it out is simple just remove center console unplug old and plug in new as they are electronic not the usual stick mount to tranny shifter. Then have someone clear the code,indy shop of course.

Less than 500 bucks. More less if you diy.
Funny how bmw stealership thinks whoever drives a bmw have tons of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
The electronic shifter was a gremlin since it was introduced in 08. My first 535i was stuck and could not shift to drive. Had to mess with it to get it engaged. Dealer put a new one under warranty. That was back in 08. Just bought a 550i with sport shift, reverse was messed up. Keep throwing codes but had 4 days warranty left so they put a brand new one on.
Anyhow, if i didnt had warranty, a new shifter cost about $230(bmwandmbparts.com). Swap it out is simple just remove center console unplug old and plug in new as they are electronic not the usual stick mount to tranny shifter. Then have someone clear the code,indy shop of course.

Less than 500 bucks. More less if you diy.
Funny how bmw stealership thinks whoever drives a bmw have tons of money.
Dealer said that they would have to replace the assembly and reprogram the car. The dealer also gave me a little more discount for the repair, so I am going to let them take care of it. I am not sure what it entails, but I have a feeling is more than just the shifter assembly. They better replace the expensive part, not charge me premium for some $200-$300 parts. I would be pissed beyond belief if they do that.I will report back with the finding and receipt. Thanks for your info.

Last edited by ihvabmr; 11-21-2011 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

No problem. I dont know if this helps but heres what my reciept says.

:Customer states when put in reverse shows gear lever malfunction on CID
Cause:Gear selector switch (lever) Permanent malfunction
0000006 performing vehicle test (with vehicle diagnosis system)
6140WPB94
1 61-31-9-208-271 Selector Lever Handle: 61309931TZ
Removing and installing gear selector 6140WPB94

Note(on receipt):Performed replacement of the selector level handle/switch and recheck function. Check control warning is not longer present when shifted. Cleared fault memory.

So basically, they just replaced and clear fault code.
Appreciate 0