BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-19-2022, 07:55 PM   #23
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I don't pair my sticks with any particular alcohol, but a nice cup of black coffee on a weekend morning with a cigar is my ultimate relaxation.
Don't know about you but coffee after a cigar is amazing! I go with an espresso and a square of chocolate. Just perfect!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #24
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_joe View Post
Don't know about you but coffee after a cigar is amazing! I go with an espresso and a square of chocolate. Just perfect!
Yep.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #25
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not sure if anyone has tried the Rocky Patel Disciple, but I had it a few weeks ago. It was decent, but I felt it had 'too much going on' and found it hard to enjoy.

I used to be a fan of the Rocky Vintage 1990, but this year I found that the quality had declined.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #26
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Save those bands! My problem was that it took so long to develop the palate so I could distinguish a good cigar from a mediocre one.

There's a clear difference between a 'gas station cigar' and one from a proper cigar shop, but inside that cigar shop, it's overwhelming!

Tonight I've got an Flor de Oliva Gold. It's relatively cheap (about $7), but the last one I had was great - so was sure to remember! I'm trying the maduro so am hoping its good.
My wife tells me the same thing. "Why don't you save the labels?!"

I've had so many good cigars I would love to have again.

I still have no idea what I do and don't like. Well I know what I like, but I can't go into a cigar shop and realistically know what I'm looking at. Just give it a couple spins and make it look like I know what I'm doing and head out with half a dozen random $7 - $12 cigars.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2022, 11:47 PM   #27
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
My wife tells me the same thing. "Why don't you save the labels?!"

I've had so many good cigars I would love to have again.

I still have no idea what I do and don't like. Well I know what I like, but I can't go into a cigar shop and realistically know what I'm looking at. Just give it a couple spins and make it look like I know what I'm doing and head out with half a dozen random $7 - $12 cigars.
There's definitely a positive to trying a bunch of cigars, hell even a good brand can start to decline and if you just stuck to that one brand, you'd never know what better stuff is out there.

We are living in the golden age of cigars so I think your strategy is on point! There's so much good stuff (in the US anyway) in that $7-12 range, that your bound to find a few good sticks out of a dozen.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Supported the local Police Explorers with "Cocktails in Havana" over the weekend. Cigars were encouraged, but those provided as part of the donation were gas station, apparently. Guy that came along with us brought his own supply of Macanudos, so I partook with my various ryes and tequilas and kombuchas.

One vendor there had a nice cognac that he had a bottle manufactured so that the middle of the bottle was a humidor, of sorts. Makes a nice discussion piece, but not sure I would sit around with s single cigar and a full bottle for very long. . .
      10-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #29
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Xdrive

So happy that I just found this thread! I am a cigar a day (sometimes 2 or 3 if golf or something similar is on the agenda).
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2022, 11:42 PM   #30
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC M3C X View Post
So happy that I just found this thread! I am a cigar a day (sometimes 2 or 3 if golf or something similar is on the agenda).
Glad you enjoyed it! What are your go to cigars?
      10-07-2022, 12:32 AM   #31
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it! What are your go to cigars?
There are so many that I enjoy. Right now smoking a Gurkha "The Royal Reserve". This afternoon I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922. I am all over the board. From Rocky Patel or Padrón to Herrera Esteli. Sometimes a quick Nub.
What about you, what are some of your go to's?
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #32
jargon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M8Comp Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Yes, looking forward to my Padron and Glenlivet this evening on the porch!
Padron is an excellent cigar. My favorite all time cigar is a Padron Anniversary Torpedo. If you haven’t had one, try one. I usually carve out 3 hours when I light one up.
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8793.50
      10-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #33
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Help a burgeoning aficionado out:

1) How do I get a really good mouthful of smoke, to provide the opportunity to blow smoke rings. I'm applying significant pressure, with multiple in/exhalations and just not "seeing" smoke that I think I should.

2) Is it somehow wrong to only smoke a portion of a cigar? Last night I lit up a Romeo&Julieta, enjoyed for about 20 minutes, then stuck it cherry-down into plant next to the table. Last couple sips of my tequila, then put the cigar back into original wrapper, folded over, and used the cigar band to close it all back up.
      10-07-2022, 02:12 PM   #34
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

1) How do I get a really good mouthful of smoke, to provide the opportunity to blow smoke rings. I'm applying significant pressure, with multiple in/exhalations and just not "seeing" smoke that I think I should.

2) Is it somehow wrong to only smoke a portion of a cigar? Last night I lit up a Romeo&Julieta, enjoyed for about 20 minutes, then stuck it cherry-down into plant next to the table. Last couple sips of my tequila, then put the cigar back into original wrapper, folded over, and used the cigar band to close it all back up.
This was my night last night, a Romeo and Julieta and tequila neat on the back porch with the dog. Nice
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #35
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
This was my night last night, a Romeo and Julieta and tequila neat on the back porch with the dog. Nice
Dog didn't want to come out once I lit up. Hornitos Black Barrel!!
      10-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #36
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I know nothing about blowing smoke rings though could be kind of fun beings I end every single night with a cigar.
What I do know is there are a couple of things that can be cause for less smoke than normal.

1. Every once in a while you get a cigar that is just rolled a little too tight. Unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do in this scenario.

2. Cut the cigar differently. You may not be taking enough off the end. Sometimes a punch cutter is best for this problem to get thru all of the layers of the cap.

Side Note (question): Not sure how many people change up the cutter that they are using.?.? I switch it up because they all seem to draw a little different. Guillotine, V-cut, punch, angle with the guillotine, etc…

Thanks all for giving me a place to chat about something that I truly enjoy!

Will I smoke in the G80 when it shows up (hopefully in a couple of weeks).?.? I typically smoke in private just due to the "douchie" connotation associated with cigar smoking. Seeing too much of this the 15yrs I lived in Vegas led me to only smoking at home or my cigar shop/lounge.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 04:47 PM   #37
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

I've left unsmoked portions of my cigar outside until the next night and it is fine. Usually less than a 1/3rd left though.

As for blowing smoke rings, it can't be that forceful. You have to let the smoke roll off your tongue, posture your lower jaw forward a little while rounding out your pie hole, whole exhaling at the same time with a little forcefulness. I can make perfect rings, but I've been doing it for 20 years.
      10-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #38
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I know nothing about blowing smoke rings though could be kind of fun beings I end every single night with a cigar.
What I do know is there are a couple of things that can be cause for less smoke than normal.

1. Every once in a while you get a cigar that is just rolled a little too tight. Unfortunately there is not a lot that you can do in this scenario.

2. Cut the cigar differently. You may not be taking enough off the end. Sometimes a punch cutter is best for this problem to get thru all of the layers of the cap.

Side Note (question): Not sure how many people change up the cutter that they are using.?.? I switch it up because they all seem to draw a little different. Guillotine, V-cut, punch, angle with the guillotine, etc…

Will I smoke in the G80 when it shows up (hopefully in a couple of weeks).?.? I typically smoke in private just due to the "douchie" connotation associated with cigar smoking. Seeing too much of this the 15yrs I lived in Vegas led me to only smoking at home or my cigar shop/lounge.
I've switched to mainly using a hole punch. I have all the other various cutters, but for some reason the hole draw is smoother and the cigar tastes better to me. My favorite place to smoke is while out boating. There is just something about the salt in the air, the sound of the water, and the breeze that makes it so much more enjoyable.

I've never smoked in any car and I also don't enjoy smoking indoors. My nightly routine is smoking a cigar, or three, outside on my patio with one of my dogs.
      10-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #39
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
Quote:

I've switched to mainly using a hole punch. I have all the other various cutters, but for some reason the hole draw is smoother and the cigar tastes better to me. My favorite place to smoke is while out boating. There is just something about the salt in the air, the sound of the water, and the breeze that makes it so much more enjoyable.

I've never smoked in any car and I also don't enjoy smoking indoors. My nightly routine is smoking a cigar, or three, outside on my patio with one of my dogs.
Yep, the punch is always a good option!

Boating with a cigar is great. Not something I do too often because we are typically wake surfing and I am jumping in when not driving.

The porch is also my regular (nightly) spot. Wife will usually come out and hang for the first hour.

What's it going to be tonight?
For me probably San Cristobal Quintessence!
Appreciate 1
DocL1922.50
      10-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #40
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There are so many that I enjoy. Right now smoking a Gurkha "The Royal Reserve". This afternoon I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922. I am all over the board. From Rocky Patel or Padrón to Herrera Esteli. Sometimes a quick Nub.
What about you, what are some of your go to's?
Historically I used to go to the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. Recently, since those were hard to come by and I had some quality issues with RP, I moved over to Oliva.

Oliva (serie O and serie V) are great, however those too began to sell out quick.

Now I'm leaning more towards CAO; my buddies back in the day use to be big fans of the Brazilia, and I recently had the BX3. In fact, I just picked up two BX3's for me and my brother to have tomorrow. That was a great cigar when I first tried it a few weeks back, so I am hoping for a similar experience tomorrow
      10-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #41
phat_joe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I've been using the same Cuban Crafters brass & walnut guillotine for the past 20 years. I bought a special file just to keep it sharp. Sometimes I want to change it up but never get around to it.
      10-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #42
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So I had my 60th a while back, my very long time friend has a guy who rolls cigars for his Scotch tasting business. So he had some Nicaraguans rolled for me with Bands with my name and 1961 in roman numerals made up for me. A nice mellow smoke.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kscarrol8793.50
      10-07-2022, 10:43 PM   #43
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Does he ship Dos Murf MCMLXI’s to South Carolina? Asking for a friend…
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 11:27 PM   #44
CC M3C X
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've been using the same Cuban Crafters brass & walnut guillotine for the past 20 years. I bought a special file just to keep it sharp. Sometimes I want to change it up but never get around to it.
That sounds like a really nice cutter. I don't have any real special cutters but might be something to look into. My son is really starting to enjoy cigars with me so it might be cool to have something nostalgic to pass down.
Appreciate 1