BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #23
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You can use dynamic DNS. I have two domains registered with two different dynamic DNS services. One is with Dyn.com which used to be free. I've been using it for years and have much of my VPN clients configured to use the domain registered with Dyn...decided to keep paying for it.
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought that Dyn went out of the dynamic DNS business a few years ago after Oracle bought them out? I was a happy paying Dyn customer for years, and had to move everything over to Amazon AWS Route53. Maybe it was just their generic domain dynamic host names like *.homelinux.net (which I was also using to point at my home IP address) that they stopped offering?

What I have set up now is a network/web connectivity test that runs from home every 5 minutes, checking a secured web page on one of my AWS cloud servers. The web page checks the source IP address that loaded the secure page, and updates the DNS host entry pointing to my home gateway on AWS Route53 to match if the source IP address has changed.

FWIW, my IPv4 address has been the same for over a year now, and I'm pretty sure that Spectrum has assigned me an entire /64 of static IPv6 addresses through prefix delegation.....
      02-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Maybe I'm going crazy, but I thought that Dyn went out of the dynamic DNS business a few years ago after Oracle bought them out? I was a happy paying Dyn customer for years, and had to move everything over to Amazon AWS Route53. Maybe it was just their generic domain dynamic host names like *.homelinux.net (which I was also using to point at my home IP address) that they stopped offering?

What I have set up now is a network/web connectivity test that runs from home every 5 minutes, checking a secured web page on one of my AWS cloud servers. The web page checks the source IP address that loaded the secure page, and updates the DNS host entry pointing to my home gateway on AWS Route53 to match if the source IP address has changed.

FWIW, my IPv4 address has been the same for over a year now, and I'm pretty sure that Spectrum has assigned me an entire /64 of static IPv6 addresses through prefix delegation.....
Nope. I'm still using Dyn as we speak. And still have my domains since I started the account almost 10 years ago.

If you don't want to pay for dynamic DNS, I'm pretty certain ChangeIP is still free. I haven't done a name resolution test yet under the domain I registered with ChangeIP in a while. I guess I should. But my SonicWall firewall states that my account with them is still active and working.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

BTW, make sure you have at least 2 factor set up with your AWS account. I didn't and got hacked. And AWS was ZERO help in containing the hacker. But in the end, they left me to run through all the global AWS datacenters to clean up the mess myself meanwhile the rogue processes were still racking up charges. Despite my request early on before to get them to shut down my account. Which they refused to do. The result was a $1143 charge that they would not commit to saying I wouldn't be responsible for. After two weeks of them meandering with a final decision AND my personal pull where my company is a MAJOR AWS partner, they finally agreed to zero out the charges. I feel if I didn't have that clout with my employer, I'd still be fighting with them concerning the rogue charges.

And yes, I have 2 factor set up now. AWS does not provide you an easy way to set up 2 factor either. Thankfully, I already had Cisco Duo set up as my 2 factor with my personal SSL VPN. I can't imagine anyone without extensive IT experience being able to navigate the BS that AWS made me go through.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      02-26-2022, 03:53 PM   #26
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
BTW, make sure you have at least 2 factor set up with your AWS account.
Thank you for the motivation to finally set up MFA on both my personal AWS account as well as Amazon itself! We have been testing TOTP apps at work to use for MFA, and it was quite painless to add the AWS and Amazon keys to my authenticator app du jour.

The only annoyances so far have been that editing some customer account settings on Amazon (the shopping site) prompt for the AWS key and not the Amazon key, and Amazon's not letting users rearrange the MFA order preferences after adding a TOTP authenticator when SMS text MFA was already configured. I had to disable MFA and start from scratch to make TOTP be the primary/default MFA option.

FWIW, AWS Lightsail's web login happily used the AWS key with no additional configuration.....
      02-27-2022, 12:35 AM   #27
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Currently using Google mesh Wi-fi with 5 nodes to cover 3400 sq feet with 2 floor and a basement, So 3 levels.

Wi-Fi speeds are good as I’m getting at least what I’m paying for. Pay for 200/35 and getting 199-230/35.

I have a 5g main network almost everything is on and a 2.4 guest network for guests but also has my smart lighting bridge.

Currently about 34 devices and I’m looking to upgrade the router to future
Proof my Wi-Fi.

Seems everting I read had downsides

Though EERO pro 6 (3 pack) would do it but at a high cost. But I seems lots of users have issues where the devices don’t connect to closest node
Effecting speed.

Also do I need to hard wire these for best backhaul? Or is the 3rd band sufficient ?

Thanks for any insite into routers and set up philosophy. I’m not to up on it.

Not sure why you would ‘upgrade’. You are getting speeds through your current Google Mesh equal to or more than your ISP package. Your limitation right now is your package, not the google mesh.

I’m using google mesh with 5 nodes as well, covering roughly the the same square footage. My package is 1.5 GB down and 1 GB up and I’m getting those speeds on the google mesh wifi.
Appreciate 0