F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW flagging cars with flash and possible piggyback
GetBMWParts

12-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Lease and Own are fundamentally different animals

If you own the car....you OWN the car and everything in/on it including the data generated from your use of said private property
That sounds naive. I own my iPhone, but the second I connect it to the intenet my data is being pilfered by tech companies, the government, the Russians, who the fuck knows who else. Unfortunately any expectation of privacy is no longer reasonable practically speaking for any connected device, including a car. On principle I agree with you but in practice that's just not the world we're living in.
Agree. Most naive.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #24
Tech567
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Just a FYI over on the M3/M4 forums it has been announced that a new SW update is automatically sending info to BMWNA regarding tunes. No confirmation if it applies only to the M's only but just be on the lookout.
I've was the one who brought up the issue In the m forums. I had a client who had a DME flash and bmw emailed us informing that he had DME software. So far I've only seen this issue with DME flashes. Piggy backs have been fine as long as they're removed or turned off before the scanning process (vehicle will be scanned if brought in for any drivetrain or electrical complaint). Also I stress that you "know" the tech working on your car and please be on the same page with them. We know when you're lying or hiding things and it makes our jobs more complicating and tends to cause a bad relationship. Also, bmw hasn't stated that the entire warranty is voided but only things that could be directly caused by whatever was modified. As much as I enjoy he performance world, we can't expect to break all the rules and win :
Appreciate 3
      12-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #25
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
That sounds naive. I own my iPhone, but the second I connect it to the intenet my data is being pilfered by tech companies, the government, the Russians, who the fuck knows who else. Unfortunately any expectation of privacy is no longer reasonable practically speaking for any connected device, including a car. On principle I agree with you but in practice that's just not the world we're living in.
The phone example is a choice

You dont have to choose an internet enabled phone nor are you forced to use it/enter your personal information even if you DO choose to use an internet connected phone

Its certainly possible to store data on an iphone and NOT allow it to connect to the internet where others could hack/steal your info or even take with your consent

This is fundamentally different than the automobile example
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

This is old. They have been flagging cars since at least 2010.
Take the tune off before you go in for work. It's that simple.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #27
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
The phone example is a choice

You dont have to choose an internet enabled phone nor are you forced to use it/enter your personal information even if you DO choose to use an internet connected phone

Its certainly possible to store data on an iphone and NOT allow it to connect to the internet where others could hack/steal your info or even take with your consent

This is fundamentally different than the automobile example
You also don't have to take your car into BMW for service under warranty, in which case they can never hook the car up to their servers and get your data. I don't see them as fundamentally different. Both can be used in a way that would protect your privacy, but such use would carry serious disadvantages and isn't really practical.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #28
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Agreed, I once drove my car when it was raining in 2011 and they flagged it for flood damage
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #29
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
Perhaps the difference is more consistent enforcement because they have sufficient historical data from their fleet of CPO's?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0