BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #23
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
They're fun when you take the roof and doors off and drive it around like a street-legal dune buggy. Personally I can't get over the build quality/unreliability. I wanted one for a while in college when I'd often drive my friend's lifted 6MT JK, was a blast while it lasted but the transmission was shit from day 1 and it eventually just shit the bed at around 25k miles so they got rid of it. Pretty major failure for a 8-9 year old car with 25k.
You should check out the new JL version....big step up from the JK from interior to new 8 speed auto transmission to new engine options....

We rented the JK's in Hawaii and most recently rented a JL for long road trip to Tahoe....I was so impressed I sold my Explorer and ordered one within in a month of taking that trip
Sahara

Rubicon
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      03-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #24
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
You should check out the new JL version....big step up from the JK from interior to new 8 speed auto transmission to new engine options....

We rented the JK's in Hawaii and most recently rented a JL for long road trip to Tahoe....I was so impressed I sold my Explorer and ordered one within in a month of taking that trip
Sahara

Rubicon
I'll see if I can find a 6MT on Turo if I need a rental on my next Tahoe trip (glad to see 3 pedals in the Rubicon pic). Not particularly interested in the auto even if it's technically superior for off roading. Now the one I'd REALLY want is the Hemi with a manual but they didn't green-light that configuration from what I've read.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:39 AM   #25
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

woohoo!!
Dealer sent me a pic today of my Jeep arriving at the dealership....ordered on 3/10 built and delivered to dealer in 5 weeks on 4/15

Can't wait to pick her up!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-16-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1363.50
Bumpinjeep5363.50
      04-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #26
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah I like the occasional 18 year old oh not creeper?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:50 AM   #27
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I tried! Hope you have better luck.

My first car was a 5 speed TJ, my parents had CJs, XJs, WJs, and ZJs. I've owned a few XJs, YJs, TJs. They were all great.

Then I spec'd and took delivery of my Sting Grey JT Rubicon (Gladiator). Two steering boxes replaced, new rear brakes, multiple software flashes, infotainment that would randomly shut off, HVAC that worked however/whenever it wanted. Good thing, like you, I got a heck of a deal when I purchased it. I was about 14% under MSRP. Ended up selling to CarMax for about what I paid for it.

I also just got rid of my wife's WK2 Grand Cherokee Overland with ~40k miles on it. Transfer case grenaded and it took a month to get a replacement under warranty. Transmission started to slip, rain sensing wipers stopped working in the middle of a rain storm, stalled in traffic twice, list goes on.

While I love Jeeps - I've probably had a dozen or so ranging from stock cream puffs to stretched wheelbases on tons/40s and coil overs - I learned the hard way that the newer ones just can't hold a candle to the older ones.

I have two Land Cruisers now
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50
      04-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #28
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

A good buddy just picked up a new Gladiator and had the dealer do a minor lift and 35s - it's a nice truck - I'm curious to see how long he hangs on to it.

I'm not going to thread jack here but if anyone is curious, I have a thread on my most recent 4x4. Not a jeep but in the family lol.

I like the versatility of the Jeep - certainly a wide variety of modifications out there. The AEV stuff has caught my eye on the past.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #29
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Test drove the rubicon 4xe yesterday, going to replace my 2018 JL sport S with it. Faster than my V6 and the 20 mile electric range is nice to have available. The 4xe qualifies for the $7500 tax credit so the lease deals are absurdly good. $59k msrp car for like $44k sale price. Waiting on final lease numbers but given what I’ve already seen I’m expecting under $400/month including tax with $0 out of pocket. Leasehackr mega thread here - https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/order...-wa-tax/350767
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #30
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Had a great trip home from picking up the Jeep in Idaho....best car buying experience ever.....picked us up at airport and were on the road to Tahoe in less than an hour with full tank of gas....anyone interested in a new Jeep, lmk...I can send you in the right direction for getting 11-12% off MSRP on a custom factory order.

Stopped in Tahoe for a couple days before heading home with some stops in Mammoth and the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, Ca.....place is beautiful

Loving the new JLU Rubicon

Got some new wheels and some 35's installed tomorrow

here is some pics of the trip and a cool lil drone vid I did at our last stop in the Alabama Hills...

Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      05-10-2021, 06:37 AM   #31
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

Congrats on the new jeep, thinking you went to Kellogg ID. They always seem to good deals, never bought from them years ago when I lived out there.

Oh, and jeeps, I have a problem there as well. I have three, TJ, LJ, JKU, two are torn apart now being modified. I am tempted to get a JL, trying to myself from getting one before one of the other ones goes away...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #32
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
always rent these things for our Hawaii trips and most recently rented on for a road trip to Tahoe due to big snow storm last month....worst mistake ever, as I quickly fell in love with the new JL version(2018+)and became fixated on getting into one after that.

Started looking for slightly used models to save a few bucks, but quickly realized you might as well buy new because the slightly used ones(2018-2020) are priced too closely to the new ones to make it worth it...Next thing you know I'm buying a the top of the line Rubicon

After doing my research and finding a dealer in Idaho that does 8% below invoice it was a no brainer

The dealers around here in So Cal can't touch that and usually charge over MSRP
so I will be taking a flight to Idaho in about 6-10 weeks depending on how long it takes to build and driving 854 miles home....cant wait!!!

I'm total noob to the Jeep world and more comfortable on a race track than off road, but excited about doing something completely different ...

hope to have her looking like this soon

Any other Jeeper's on here?
Same stance as the new M3
Appreciate 1
jesm203.00
      05-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #33
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
always rent these things for our Hawaii trips and most recently rented on for a road trip to Tahoe due to big snow storm last month....worst mistake ever, as I quickly fell in love with the new JL version(2018+)and became fixated on getting into one after that.

Started looking for slightly used models to save a few bucks, but quickly realized you might as well buy new because the slightly used ones(2018-2020) are priced too closely to the new ones to make it worth it...Next thing you know I'm buying a the top of the line Rubicon

After doing my research and finding a dealer in Idaho that does 8% below invoice it was a no brainer

The dealers around here in So Cal can't touch that and usually charge over MSRP
so I will be taking a flight to Idaho in about 6-10 weeks depending on how long it takes to build and driving 854 miles home....cant wait!!!

I'm total noob to the Jeep world and more comfortable on a race track than off road, but excited about doing something completely different ...

Funny. We took a Humvee tour in Moab years ago, and took a Jeep tour in Colorado last year. This year we are renting a Rubicon in Colorado and are looking forward to it. Maybe a Jeeper in the making!
Appreciate 1
jesm203.00
      05-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #34
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
Congrats on the new jeep, thinking you went to Kellogg ID. They always seem to good deals, never bought from them years ago when I lived out there.

Oh, and jeeps, I have a problem there as well. I have three, TJ, LJ, JKU, two are torn apart now being modified. I am tempted to get a JL, trying to myself from getting one before one of the other ones goes away...

I went through Kent at Peterson DCJR in Nampa Id....which I found using the Wrangler forums
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #35
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I went through Kent at Peterson DCJR in Nampa Id....which I found using the Wrangler forums
Kent took a week to respond to any questions I sent him by text. He also told me they would lease the car with no markup on money factor and then when it came time to send in the deposit I asked for it in writing and he said "oh, well we have to charge a markup since you aren't using our financing. it will be one point"

Then he never answered what he meant by "one point" - is that 1% interest? .00303 instead of .00203? The price also went up to $1800 because he took so long to get back to me. I gave up and bought a Macan instead. Pretty disappointing considering he has a good rep on the wrangler forum and I sent him 5 referrals from other people looking for a 4xe. To this day he still has never answered my last text.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #36
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Where I live, none of the fancy jeeps look like they've even touched a dirt road!! They all have expensive paint jobs, $5000 tires/rims, and more gadgets bolted on to it than a Mars rocket! Strictly boulevard cruising vehicles to go to AJ's Fine Foods lol!
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      05-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #37
RobG_M340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Garage List
1973 Jeep CJ5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
I have a 73 CJ5 that is my weekend/project car. Welcome to the Jeep club!

Appreciate 5
SoCal_NSX2363.00
jesm203.00
m3fuz199.00
wrickem2101.00
      05-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #38
jesm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911S 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg_f36 View Post
I have a 73 CJ5 that is my weekend/project car. Welcome to the Jeep club!

Wow!!! That Jeep is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations....

Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      05-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #39
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Kent took a week to respond to any questions I sent him by text. He also told me they would lease the car with no markup on money factor and then when it came time to send in the deposit I asked for it in writing and he said "oh, well we have to charge a markup since you aren't using our financing. it will be one point"

Then he never answered what he meant by "one point" - is that 1% interest? .00303 instead of .00203? The price also went up to $1800 because he took so long to get back to me. I gave up and bought a Macan instead. Pretty disappointing considering he has a good rep on the wrangler forum and I sent him 5 referrals from other people looking for a 4xe. To this day he still has never answered my last text.
oh man, that is too bad....I had great experience using him for our purchase. He was very responsive and up front about pricing...Best way to contact him was call or email... Yes, in order to get the huge discount they ask you to use their financing for at least six months, then you can go get your own financing. I got 4.5% rate with their financing which isn't great for excellent credit, but I can easily get like 2.2% from my credit union when I refi it.. Well worth it to me considering I was getting over 11% off MSRP ....That is part of how they are able to give such great deals by letting the banks kickback money subsidize it..I have no problem honoring that deal... I'm not sure how it works on lease deals tho???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #40
Peterinte
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A (for now)

Quote:

That's an amazing ride, SoCal_NSX! For the life of me, I can't seem to determine the tires that you have (poor eyesight). What specific tires are they? I'm planning to buy a new set from 4WheelOnline and I'm still sorting out my options.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #41
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I rented a stock Wrangler in CO recently and I have to, I was surprised how much I liked it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #42
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '15 X5d

Yup. Love them both. Jeep receives friendlier interactions.
Attached Images

SoCal_NSX2363.00
wrickem2101.00
      05-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #43
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I rented a stock Wrangler in CO recently and I have to, I was surprised how much I liked it.
It's a great daily, would definitely buy one again. When ~10% discounts are available on the 392 I will probably be back, not going to pay over sticker for one.

Quote:
oh man, that is too bad....I had great experience using him for our purchase. He was very responsive and up front about pricing...Best way to contact him was call or email... Yes, in order to get the huge discount they ask you to use their financing for at least six months, then you can go get your own financing. I got 4.5% rate with their financing which isn't great for excellent credit, but I can easily get like 2.2% from my credit union when I refi it.. Well worth it to me considering I was getting over 11% off MSRP ....That is part of how they are able to give such great deals by letting the banks kickback money subsidize it..I have no problem honoring that deal... I'm not sure how it works on lease deals tho???
I'm aware of the 6-month financing requirement to get the max discount. I specifically asked up front about not marking up the money factor (interest rate) on the lease. As an example, a money factor of .00203 is equivalent to 4.87% interest. A money factor of .00303 is equivalent to 7.27%. So when they said "a point" does that mean it's actually a 2.5% interest bump or the equivalent of 5.87%? Either way when you do that over a full 36-month lease it adds up real quick. At least with the financing you can just refi or pay off the loan. With a lease you're stuck paying it for the full term.

The pricing was the best I found so I put up with the slow responses but when they raised the price $1800 that kind of pissed me off since I could have locked the price had he responded faster. It is what it is, I'm over it and will be enjoying a great Macan GTS starting Saturday. Still love the Jeep though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:40 AM   #44
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterinte View Post
That's an amazing ride, SoCal_NSX! For the life of me, I can't seem to determine the tires that you have (poor eyesight). What specific tires are they? I'm planning to buy a new set from 4WheelOnline and I'm still sorting out my options.
That is not my Jeep, just my inspiration Jeep I saw a couple months ago...

I was actually supposed to get those wheels and tires installed today, but the wheels were delayed for some reason

Those are the Fuel Vector's
Appreciate 0