BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #23
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If people going slower are actually in the right lane, by default, you can't pass there, but yes, the law does not make that illegal, but it's still not as safe. IhMO, it should be illegal (and is some places), but then, people shouldn't hog the passing lane, either.

Assuming this passes the house, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:11 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If people going slower are actually in the right lane, by default, you can't pass there, but yes, the law does not make that illegal, but it's still not as safe. IhMO, it should be illegal (and is some places), but then, people shouldn't hog the passing lane, either.

Assuming this passes the house, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Okay, at least you now admit that. Your thinking is incorrect though, the proposed law is not concerned with people having to drive in the right lane it concerns driving on the leftmost lane on highways over 65mph. Perhaps not in your area but in many there are highways that have 6 or more lanes with at least three lanes in each direction. If it passes, the law will have no effect on those camping in a middle lane. There are many four lane roads that have speed limits under 65mph.

As an aside, thankfully very few, if any, places follow your thinking that it should be illegal. That would likely lead to more accidents and road rage incidents.
      02-14-2024, 09:43 PM   #25
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
I deactivated it, it freaked the hell out of me, when it went off the first time
Imagine it happening once a day, which is what I had to deal with and BMW wouldn't do a damn thing.

I know you can turn the warning off, but I am not sure it tuns off the actual system. That's how my dealership tried to 'fix it'.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:53 PM   #26
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I've been thinking about this - when using DAP, what parameters we have turned off but what get's *enabled back* if/when using DAP
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:46 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Per one of our forum members, no passing on the right is the law in much of Europe and it has not created a nightmare. I lived in Germany for a while, and it was a pleasant experience to drive except during maybe August when you had so many tourists crowding the road. But, you have to both know the rules and possess more driving skills in Germany before you can actually get a license,
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 04:53 PM   #28
chefwong
Major
Rep

I did not check my settings today and or things got reset with iDrive updates...

However, ASC has kicked in twice recently...

Today, I was exiting so I was in the slow lane....about 28mph. Tractor trailers comes buzzing by on the right. ASC did kick it but it's very subtle at 25mph.

I suppose it's more drastically felt when it kicks in and one is at freeway speed..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 04:32 PM   #29
dustiants
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5

I had been driving the car for 2 years and never had a side collision warning, until the windshield was broken and replaced by a shop. In one month I’ve seen 2 times when a car parked at intersection and with a red car icon warning, once when I was making a turn and passing a car from the right on the highway where it says preparing for side collision.
Now I’m more confused if that was never activated when the car was delivered to me, or some feature I didn’t pay for and got activated? I believe it was equipped with all the tech packages that I can think of… anyone know what package did side collision bundled with? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 04:43 PM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustiants View Post
I had been driving the car for 2 years and never had a side collision warning, until the windshield was broken and replaced by a shop. In one month I’ve seen 2 times when a car parked at intersection and with a red car icon warning, once when I was making a turn and passing a car from the right on the highway where it says preparing for side collision.
Now I’m more confused if that was never activated when the car was delivered to me, or some feature I didn’t pay for and got activated? I believe it was equipped with all the tech packages that I can think of… anyone know what package did side collision bundled with? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Likely just coincidence. The red car icon isn't the side collision warning but rather the front collision warning.

The side collision avoidance feature is part of the Driving Assistance Professional package.
      04-28-2024, 06:52 PM   #31
dustiants
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Likely just coincidence. The red car icon isn't the side collision warning but rather the front collision warning.

The side collision avoidance feature is part of the Driving Assistance Professional package.
Thank you! Yes the car has the package.
The car icons are different actually, I’m also wondering if that could be a software update.
I’ve seen the red rear view car icon before when I’m too close and too fast, but these two occasions were side view car icon.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:01 PM   #32
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

My G05 apparently has side impact detection and swerving enabled, and it had a false positive the other day and tried to swerve me to the side when it wasn't needed. Thought I had all of that crap turned off, so I guess I'll have to go into settings more and find it. All of this stuff is junk. If you truly "need" it you shouldn't be driving in the first place!!! 99% of these modern safety features aren't needed if you're driving like you should.

As for left lane laws, it will all come down to enforcement. Americans have such sh*t lane discipline, and so many are such insufferable a**holes about it, and will never ever move out of the left lane no matter how many people are stacked up behind them. The worst are the Toyota drivers. FL really isn't that bad. The I-95 corridor from DC up through NYC is terrible, though.

I once had to limp our E70 home from NYC. Had a puncture in the city on the stock RFT's. Limped it out of the city to a service station who wouldn't touch it, so went to an auto parts store and bought a repair kit and some tools and a pump, pulled the screw out and patched it myself and drove it home. Kept it to 65 mph max in the RIGHT lane, and ended up passing many hundreds if not thousands of cars that were ALL stacked up in the far left lane, while the middle and right lanes were virtually empty the entire way home. Was one of the most bizarre things I ever saw.
      04-29-2024, 08:38 AM   #33
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
My G05 apparently has side impact detection and swerving enabled, and it had a false positive the other day and tried to swerve me to the side when it wasn't needed. Thought I had all of that crap turned off, so I guess I'll have to go into settings more and find it. All of this stuff is junk. If you truly "need" it you shouldn't be driving in the first place!!! 99% of these modern safety features aren't needed if you're driving like you should.
Hell yeah, bro. Tomorrow I'm going to cancel all my insurance policies and doctor appointments 'cause who needs all this modern crap if they're living like they should!
Appreciate 1
tooloud10790.50
      04-29-2024, 09:06 AM   #34
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Do you wear a seatbelt?

Quote:
As for left lane laws, it will all come down to enforcement. Americans have such sh*t lane discipline, and so many are such insufferable a**holes about it, and will never ever move out of the left lane no matter how many people are stacked up behind them. The worst are the Toyota drivers. FL really isn't that bad. The I-95 corridor from DC up through NYC is terrible, though.
Just last week I was "passing" (I never switched lanes) a slower moving left lane hog in the right lane and the side collision noticed that he was moving into my lane before I did.

Personally I am glad to have all these features, especially since I paid good money for all of them. Weird how highway deaths go down with every advancement in safety tech, too.
      04-29-2024, 05:33 PM   #35
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
When I think about finding the setting that will turn this off, I don't bother as in my mind.....maybe one day this will pay off.

However, when Active Side Collision triggers unexpectedly, it's always at the wrong time. 1st time I experienced it was at 40-50 mph , in the middle line of 3 lanes, just speeding to go past 2 tractor trailers fore left and right of me..

The 2nd incident was just simply taking a turn at decent speed and it simply sensing the median, which was a bit higher . There wasn't a car to the right of me.

Yesterday, just a lazy Sunday driving and I'm just coming down fast in the middle lane, to get past a left lane loafer and a car to the right that was parallel.

Right now, I have lane keep asssist and there other intervention turned off. Everything else, backup stop, etc all turned on but it's just too -smart- for my driving habits.
Wow I knew about the triangle warning in the side mirror but didn’t know the car would intervene are correct what it thinks is about to be a collision. I turned off steering intervention as I found it too sensitive and forceful, so maybe that’s why I only get the triangle notification which I do find helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:44 PM   #36
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVee View Post
Wow I knew about the triangle warning in the side mirror but didn’t know the car would intervene are correct what it thinks is about to be a collision. I turned off steering intervention as I found it too sensitive and forceful, so maybe that’s why I only get the triangle notification which I do find helpful.
The triangle warning in the mirror is part of the blind spot system and not the side collision avoidance system.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 05:48 PM   #37
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
The triangle warning in the mirror is part of the blind spot system and not the side collision avoidance system.
Ah in the manual they are right next to each other. I thought a side collision would be in your blind spot and hence the same warning. I guess I have the feature totally disabled then.
Appreciate 1
arRod1981932.50
      04-29-2024, 07:30 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVee View Post
Ah in the manual they are right next to each other. I thought a side collision would be in your blind spot and hence the same warning. I guess I have the feature totally disabled then.
Why would you think you have it disabled? Not sure that is even possible unless you turn off all safety features.
      04-29-2024, 08:50 PM   #39
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Hell yeah, bro. Tomorrow I'm going to cancel all my insurance policies and doctor appointments 'cause who needs all this modern crap if they're living like they should!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Do you wear a seatbelt?

Just last week I was "passing" (I never switched lanes) a slower moving left lane hog in the right lane and the side collision noticed that he was moving into my lane before I did.

Personally I am glad to have all these features, especially since I paid good money for all of them. Weird how highway deaths go down with every advancement in safety tech, too.
Mock or ridicule all you want. Don't care. My daily has been my '18 Suburban, through suburban DC area traffic where I'm constantly surrounded by complete morons, half of which are on either legal or illegal drugs. Wide nearly 20 ft long vehicle that weighs 6000lbs, requires precision, and has little room for error. Not for average or worse drivers.

Either a safety "assist" feature works 100% and truly helps, and never false-positives, or it's a problem/liability that gets disabled. Simple as.

I'm sure the latest tech is better these days. Know your vehicle, know the systems. If they work, great, leave it on. If not, turn them off.

For the active side collision trigger on the G05, it wasn't really a false positive. Yes, some truck or something was drifting over just a tad. The issue was there was still enough room, and it was nudging me towards a bunch of debris on the side of the road that I didn't want to run over at 75 mph and cut a tire on, and that the cameras/sensors/whatever couldn't see. I fought it to bring it back, kept the truck or van or whatever it was in my peripheral, didn't cut a tire, and all was fine.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 04-29-2024 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 12:52 PM   #40
chefwong
Major
Rep

OP here. I gotta say maybe one day it will save me in a bacon....but ASC just get's triggered for me too often and not consistent....meaning it can be at 20mph or 65mph. In the case of trying to get out between 2 tractor trailers of just simply even 25mph and it seeing the median and getting triggered on whatever variables of whatever it considers the median to be a left lane threat.

Perfect case most recent Middle lane of 3 trying to get into left. Started the turn in...and not sure if the side sensor sensed the concrete median or the front nose of the car seeing it, but halfway in to me getting into the left (split seconds here right), ASC was sharply trying to put me towards the right, thinking I was going to hit the median.....not fun of course in -moving traffic-
Appreciate 0