BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
zeethree
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 2008xi

Adding Apple CarPlay to E60 with CCC iDrive

I'm really striking out here finding a product.

I have a 2008 BMW 528xi. I'm really trying to get CarPlay added in my car. The features that are important are being able to change songs with the steering wheel and activating Siri.
I've had some folks recommend the Avin, but a local car audio place is hesitant to install saying it's junk (and the buttons for the steering wheel are confirmed not to work by the vendor)

Does anyone have a success story for a product that worked well?

Reading some of the reviews of them where AC stopped working and other quirky issues aren't very encouraging.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeethree View Post
I'm really striking out here finding a product.

I have a 2008 BMW 528xi. I'm really trying to get CarPlay added in my car. The features that are important are being able to change songs with the steering wheel and activating Siri.
I've had some folks recommend the Avin, but a local car audio place is hesitant to install saying it's junk (and the buttons for the steering wheel are confirmed not to work by the vendor)

Does anyone have a success story for a product that worked well?

Reading some of the reviews of them where AC stopped working and other quirky issues aren't very encouraging.
I retrofitted my E60 535 to CIC and then used the Bimmertech MMI unit. The Apple CarPlay system works flawlessly and feels like it came with the car. I installed the system myself
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
dosequisrex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi

I recently ordered a head unit off AliExpress that isn’t Android, but instead just does wired/wireless airplay.
It utilizes the aux input and it came with a back up camera.

All in all I paid about $250 shipped and I’m extremely happy. The screen is very crisp and sharp and the airplay is widescreen so the maps and other apps look amazing.

If your interested I can post the link.
It took me about ~5 hours to install. The aux port hook up was the hardest part.
Happy to help provide install lessons learned.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
zeethree
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweine View Post
I retrofitted my E60 535 to CIC and then used the Bimmertech MMI unit. The Apple CarPlay system works flawlessly and feels like it came with the car. I installed the system myself
I’ve thought about this, but I was scared off by a quote of $2k to do.

What was the cost like in your experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
zeethree
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosequisrex View Post
I recently ordered a head unit off AliExpress that isn’t Android, but instead just does wired/wireless airplay.
It utilizes the aux input and it came with a back up camera.

All in all I paid about $250 shipped and I’m extremely happy. The screen is very crisp and sharp and the airplay is widescreen so the maps and other apps look amazing.

If your interested I can post the link.
It took me about ~5 hours to install. The aux port hook up was the hardest part.
Happy to help provide install lessons learned.
That would be awesome! Please post if you can.

Can you change tracks with the steering wheel?

The other is “hey Siri” is disabled on my phone from my job.
Are you able to use the steering whee button to call Siri?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I’ve thought about this, but I was scared off by a quote of $2k to do.

What was the cost like in your experience?
Wait for the specials. Since the BimmerTech Multimedia Interface (MMI) only works with the CIC, the CCC must be retrofitted to CIC if you plan to go this route. If You can find a nice CIC unit (With a screen and updated iDrive controller) on eBay for a good price, BimmerTech will connect to your car remotely to code it to your VIN. It will then function like it came from the factory with the CIC. I also added the combo box, which enables full Bluetooth multimedia with a cellphone. However I feel that this is redundant and is not necessary if You add the MMI unit from BimmerTech, which adds CarPlay and which works with the iDrive controller. What I like about this setup is that it all integrates very well and functions and looks like OEM. I have an X7 with the latest iDrive and it's integrated CarPlay functions the same as my MMI CarPlay on my E60.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
zeethree
Rep

this is the route I'd really like to go. What's a good sale range price I should shoot for?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
this is the route I'd really like to go. What's a good sale range price I should shoot for?
I'll have to check. I think I paid around $500 for a mint CIC unit (late 2009 build), screen, iDrive controller on EBay.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I considered CIC upgrade from CCC but figured it's still out dated and may be better to go from CCC to android or CarPlay box
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
I considered CIC upgrade from CCC but figured it's still out dated and may be better to go from CCC to android or CarPlay box
I went to CIC with the CarPlay MMI to keep everything OEM looking. My HUD works and all Car options work (Sirius, service checks, etc). As well, the CarPlay is activated and works with the iDrive controller. It's all seemless. If you want to go Android, I would suggest the AVIN units.
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
zeethree
Rep

Quote:
I went to CIC with the CarPlay MMI to keep everything OEM looking. My HUD works and all Car options work (Sirius, service checks, etc). As well, the CarPlay is activated and works with the iDrive controller. It's all seemless. If you want to go Android, I would suggest the AVIN units.
The AVIN is the one I think I dig the most. Where I work my iPhone has "Hey Siri" disabled through their mobile device management.

Does anyone know if there is some workaround to get the steering wheel controls to call Siri?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
zeethree
Rep

Quote:
That's the first time I've heard of CarPlay box (if it's carplaysmartbox.

Unfortunately they don't have one for CCC. Is there anything else you suggest I check out?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #13
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's the first time I've heard of CarPlay box (if it's carplaysmartbox.

Unfortunately they don't have one for CCC. Is there anything else you suggest I check out?
That is why I upgraded to CIC and then used the MMI CarPlay/Android Auto unit. My car originally came with CCC.
Appreciate 0