BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-28-2022, 05:04 AM   #5941
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
19 gone so the chain of public thought is that officers were slow but they must realise the killer can't be neutralised in a flash.
Interestingly, albeit not surprisingly (…as more information is acquired), most of the killing happened in the 15 minutes prior to law enforcement arriving on scene. Because he was barricaded, crisis negotiations took place and lasted for nearly an hour (…using a CNT is standard procedure). During that time only a few gunshots were heard and the suspect was later killed.

The media is framing it as though everybody was killed with police on scene and that was not the case.
Appreciate 4
Buug95917177.00
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 05:13 AM   #5942
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ Familiar story that Ramos was a loner probably shunned by other students bc he was 'different' and took his action as a kind of revenge when in his mind things came to a head.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #5943
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
^ Familiar story that Ramos was a loner probably shunned by other students bc he was 'different' and took his action as a kind of revenge when in his mind things came to a head.
I don't doubt he was mentally unstable. His behavior and life decisions frame that accordingly.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick59589.50
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 05:45 AM   #5944
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Multiple officers had children in the building. One of the officers lost their child in this tragedy, so to think for one minute they didn't do everything possible to end this situation rapidly is just absurd to me. That isn't directed at anybody in this thread, but just the armchair quarterbacks who are echoing the divisive narratives.
Appreciate 7
Lady Jane70313.50
Buug95917177.00
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #5945
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeCxlcA...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Cooler head prevailing…..
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #5946
Jklotz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I have a friend who has been to Uvalde for work. He said it's a tiny little town, or "a dot on a map" as he put it. The local force wasn't LAPD with swat teams and tanks. The closest city was San Antonio, and it was an hour and 20 minutes away. Surely that had something to do with the delay.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-28-2022, 06:59 AM   #5947
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklotz View Post
I have a friend who has been to Uvalde for work. He said it's a tiny little town, or "a dot on a map" as he put it. The local force wasn't LAPD with swat teams and tanks. The closest city was San Antonio, and it was an hour and 20 minutes away. Surely that had something to do with the delay.
Indeed it did. They had to rally resources from other areas within the state.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #5948
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Sooooo….

…about 90 minutes ago I received a call from an officer employed by a Midwest department regarding an individual whose phone was pinging in my patrol area. The officer wanted us to do a wellness check at the location and to look for the blue Hyundai Elantra with Pacific Northwest plates. This individual was upset that his online girlfriend - whom he met playing World of Warcraft, and whom he never actually met in person - broke things off with him. He wrote a "goodbye" letter to his mother that included verbiage about killing himself and her never seeing him again. The address provided by the out-of-state officer turned up nothing, but we were able to find out where the ex-girlfriend lived. We arrived at her residence 30 minutes ago and discovered a vehicle matching the subject's description parked in the girlfriend's driveway. The vehicle was running and the headlights were on. We tactically approached the vehicle to find the subject dead in the driver's seat with a gunshot wound to the head; a letter explaining why he committed suicide on the dashboard. He drove all the way across the country to traumatize this poor girl and leave this horrible image in her head.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615140.50
      05-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #5949
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

^thats so insane - but he likely had serious mental health issues already - he prob attached to her hard during covid - but wow what an outcome, sad stuff bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
That is absolutely preposterous.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How to win the war on drugs in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Legalize ALL drugs

Step 2: You have to go through Comcast customer service to get them
Toronto has "safe injection sites", the crime rate is through the roof in the surrounding neighbourhoods, the folks that live there and some are in well off communities are pissed off, human waste everywhere, dirty needles everywhere, can't take their kids to the park or school yard. Street crime and drug dealing and what does the city want as the next step, decriminalize all drugs. What could possibly go wrong? I grew up and lived in Toronto for much of my life, I liked living in the city but I am so glad I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive away in the country now.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rime-1.5232876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
That is absolutely preposterous.

Reminds me of a joke I heard:

How to win the war on drugs in 2 easy steps:

Step 1: Legalize ALL drugs

Step 2: You have to go through Comcast customer service to get them
Toronto has "safe injection sites", the crime rate is through the roof in the surrounding neighbourhoods, the folks that live there and some are in well off communities are pissed off, human waste everywhere, dirty needles everywhere, can't take their kids to the park or school yard. Street crime and drug dealing and what does the city want as the next step, decriminalize all drugs. What could possibly go wrong? I grew up and lived in Toronto for much of my life, I liked living in the city but I am so glad I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive away in the country now.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rime-1.5232876
I have a very liberal cousin who lives there with her husband who's a native to Toronto and their 3 kids. They have a farm as well in the country. But anyway, their brownstone was broken into yrs ago and all my grandmas jewelry she inherited was stolen, makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-28-2022, 07:50 AM   #5950
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

If you have 90 minutes, here's some additional insight….

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeFiSE8...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #5951
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Multiple officers had children in the building. One of the officers lost their child in this tragedy, so to think for one minute they didn't do everything possible to end this situation rapidly is just absurd to me. That isn't directed at anybody in this thread, but just the armchair quarterbacks who are echoing the divisive narratives.
There might be some officers that are frozen in fear at such a moment. But I don't buy ALL of them were. I wasn't there and until and unless there is a prosecution and firing of some police I will assume all did their utmost to stop this creep.

It is sad that society had to find so many things to blame for this. Guns. Police response. Video games. is it possible the shooter was just defective?
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #5952
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Quote:
There might be some officers that are frozen in fear at such a moment. But I don't buy ALL of them were. I wasn't there and until and unless there is a prosecution and firing of some police I will assume all did their utmost to stop this creep.

It is sad that society had to find so many things to blame for this. Guns. Police response. Video games. is it possible the shooter was just defective?
They weren't. Listen to/watch the commentary. The response teams were all SWAT teams. Those dudes are not scary.
Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1643.50
      05-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #5953
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I honestly am concerned about the social media narrative being directed with one goal... cop blaming. It's a self-perpetuating downward spiral - reduced policing, cops quitting, increased lawlessness, and so on... resulting in anarchy? and increased government control to combat that anarchy?

Either media companies (social or old-school) don't care about such ramifications, or are complicit.
Appreciate 4
      05-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #5954
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They weren't. Listen to/watch the commentary. The response teams were all SWAT teams. Those dudes are not scary.
I met some of the SWAT guys here in Phoenix. Was a funny coincidence that I had bought a Steyr Aug and they were issued some too. Don't know if they stuck with them or liked them but they were at the range same time as me trying to shake them out.

I watched them shooting. I know I do not wish to ever be in a shootout with SWAT dudes. Scary good.

And yeah I'm thinking SWAT and SEALS and other special ops attracts alpha types to start with. Add in the training and while they may feel fear they overcome it and do their job.

Seems like there is a component of society that wishes to blame police for every event that occurs. My only complaint is the gloves off approach to Antifa and BLM protests. When they block roads and start rioting I want full on arrests and prosecutions. But I get it. The politicians don't have their backs so they follow orders and stand down.
Appreciate 4
paquet629.50
Sedan_Clan24976.00
      05-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #5955
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
I honestly am concerned about the social media narrative being directed with one goal... cop blaming. It's a self-perpetuating downward spiral - reduced policing, cops quitting, increased lawlessness, and so on... resulting in anarchy? and increased government control to combat that anarchy?

Either media companies (social or old-school) don't care about such ramifications, or are complicit.
Isn't this a normal reaction? When tragedy happens, it is quite a normal reaction to blame someone, or something for that tragedy. Unfortunately blaming has also not changed anything, because, I believe, we are dying spiritually. When we, as a society can accept the dying of innocents, especially children, we have to accept that we are corrupted morally. Matthew 24:12
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. What changes will we accept to stop, or even curb these tragedies? Looking back, remember how much we had to change due to drunk drivers, smoking, and even more recently due to 9/11. But to tolerate children to suffer what soldiers suffer in battle, has to be unacceptable. I don't see this as a liberal, or even a conservative problem, but rather as an American (namely U.S.) cultural problem. As stated before, we can blame cops, guns, and even mental issues, but the real problem, I feel does not lie there. This is simply a spiritual problem.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #5956
Jklotz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I try my best to stay out of politics, but in light of this tragedy, maybe we should change the gun laws? I mean, what 18 year old needs to be able to buy 2 assault rifles and 3K rounds of .223 ammo? I wasn't mature enough to be able to handle that sort of thing when I was 18. Not to say I'd shoot anybody, but I'm sure I'd have done some dumb shit like not following the safety rules and accidentally shooting a hole in my bedroom wall or some such nonesense.

Furthermore, I have to pass a test and carry a permit to be able to drive a car. Why is it not the same with a gun?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #5957
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
I try my best to stay out of politics, but in light of this tragedy, maybe we should change the gun laws? I mean, what 18 year old needs to be able to buy 2 assault rifles and 3K rounds of .223 ammo? I wasn't mature enough to be able to handle that sort of thing when I was 18. Not to say I'd shoot anybody, but I'm sure I'd have done some dumb shit like not following the safety rules and accidentally shooting a hole in my bedroom wall or some such nonesense.

Furthermore, I have to pass a test and carry a permit to be able to drive a car. Why is it not the same with a gun?
First of all, define "assault rifle." Rifles, or any firearm for that matter, don't assault anyone, anymore than your car drives drunk, or your pencil fails a test. Are you also saying 18-year old's shouldn't be allowed to vote? Be drafted or allowed into the military (BTW, compulsory 2-year service right out of high school will solve a lot of this)? How about obtaining a drivers license? What 18-year old NEEDS a sports car? What 18-year old even needs a car? Aren't there busses and trains they can take? I could go on, but your logic is seriously flawed and you're speaking out of feelings.

Do you have a Constitutional RIGHT to drive a car? Um, no.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24976.00
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #5958
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Isn't this a normal reaction? When tragedy happens, it is quite a normal reaction to blame someone, or something for that tragedy. Unfortunately blaming has also not changed anything, because, I believe, we are dying spiritually. When we, as a society can accept the dying of innocents, especially children, we have to accept that we are corrupted morally. Matthew 24:12
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. What changes will we accept to stop, or even curb these tragedies? Looking back, remember how much we had to change due to drunk drivers, smoking, and even more recently due to 9/11. But to tolerate children to suffer what soldiers suffer in battle, has to be unacceptable. I don't see this as a liberal, or even a conservative problem, but rather as an American (namely U.S.) cultural problem. As stated before, we can blame cops, guns, and even mental issues, but the real problem, I feel does not lie there. This is simply a spiritual problem.
You’re correct. There seems to be a moral compass gone askew in society at large.
It just seems to me that there is a societal undercurrent (one that’s becoming more visible of late) of blaming authority figures specifically the police, while asking a faceless entity (the government) for help… almost like a plea to a god (which is in itself denied vehemently because don’t you know, shitting on people’s religion is cool - unless it’s a non-Christian religion, then the fear of being called racist stops them)

— your local curmudgeon
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #5959
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
You're correct. There seems to be a moral compass gone askew in society at large.
It just seems to me that there is a societal undercurrent (one that's becoming more visible of late) of blaming authority figures specifically the police, while asking a faceless entity (the government) for help… almost like a plea to a god (which is in itself denied vehemently because don't you know, shitting on people's religion is cool - unless it's a non-Christian religion, then the fear of being called racist stops them)

— your local curmudgeon
You get it! This makes me happy.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #5960
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyone under 25 needs to take a test to buy any gun, that includes metal aspects.

The rural country kids will pass with flying colors don't worry.

Hell boys brains are still growing until they are 25.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #5961
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Anyone under 25 needs to take a test to buy any gun, that includes metal aspects.

The rural country kids will pass with flying colors don't worry.

Hell boys brains are still growing until they are 25.
Do you see how such a "test" could be written to cause failure among testees? How it can be abused to revoke a "right"? How it might be extended to ALL gun owners?

Sounds rational and reasonable but the devil is in the details and liberal states will end up using such a test to essentially ban firearms. Can't let them have that power over a "right".
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #5962
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok 24 and under…

We have kids being raised these days in an alternate universe - clearly there are many parents who have zero clue how to parent - in many cases loading them up with smart phones and video games that are rated for adult use only. It's truly out of control. Imo kids are crying for help and adults are too paranoid these days to do a goddamn thing about any of it. It's all sick.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24976.00
vreihen1615140.50