BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-25-2022, 04:30 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Digital springtime: New on and offboard functions for millions of BMW customers.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
+++ New widget in BMW iX with text-based QLOCKTWO time display +++ Enhanced assistance systems +++ New functions and widget for My BMW app +++

Munich. Digitalisation has shaped most people’s lives for a while now and regular over-the-air updates have become a matter of course. Updates deliver new features, greater security or enhanced usability for customers. The BMW Group became one of the first manufacturers worldwide to introduce Remote Software Upgrades in 2019. Today, it is able to modify every single line of programming code in its upgrade-compatible vehicles. This increasingly gives customers the option of adding functions later, as needed, or activating them for a limited time. BMW is constantly expanding this offering through “BMW ConnectedDrive Upgrades” – for example, for driver assistance systems or comfort functions. BMW will be offering another free Remote Software Upgrade from mid-May onwards for vehicles with upgrade capabilities. Since the number of eligible vehicles increases with every new BMW model, more than 3.3 million BMW cars worldwide with Operating System 7 and 8 are now upgrade-compatible.

QLOCKTWO widget: a highlight for the BMW iX.

The Remote Software Upgrade available from mid-May will prepare the BMW iX for the QlockTwo widget on the BMW Curved Display.
The QlockTwo time display has received multiple awards for its extraordinary design. The clock displays the time in writing every five minutes using a word matrix. Subtly illuminated points in each corner of the matrix indicate additional minutes. Like BMW, QlockTwo combines high design standards with luxurious workmanship. QlockTwo will be immediately available in BMW vehicles in a total of 16 languages, once the Remote Software Upgrade is complete. The widget automatically adopts the language from the settings in BMW Operating System 8. The driver can easily add the new widget by moving the existing tiles of the main menu to the far left with the “Add Widget” function.

Other digital functions and options with new Remote Software Upgrade.

• The Lane Keeping Assistant now recognises that the driver wants to merge back in after overtaking. During this manoeuvre, it emits a haptic signal only, in the form of steering wheel vibration, and no longer corrects the steering.

• The steering intervention made by the Lane Keeping Assistant is more comfortable overall, because it adjusts the steering time and steering duration to the respective driving situation: The slower the vehicle leaves the lane, the more gently it steers back.

• Another fully-electric BMW, the BMW i4, comes with BMW IconicSounds Electric, composed by Academy Award winner Hans Zimmer.

• The Remote Software Upgrade enables further vehicles to use the BMW Personal eSIM, which integrates the vehicle into an existing mobile phone plan and takes advantage of the 5G standard for fast data exchange by the customer. After logging in with their BMW ID, customers can also make phone calls from the vehicle without their smartphone and stream data via the Wi-Fi hotspot. Availability of this function depends on the respective mobile communications provider.

• Some vehicles, like the new BMW 8 Series models, will also get a new software to improve the Iconic Glow function, which illuminates the BMW kidney grille.

General notes on Remote Software Upgrades.

Remote Software Upgrade is currently available for more than 30 BMW models, including nearly all BMW models with BMW Operating System 7 and 8. Customers can view their software version and check for available upgrades in their vehicle’s settings menu under Remote Software Upgrade. Only the next possible upgrade is available for installation, so the user can never install the wrong version.
The availability and content of Remote Software Upgrades depend on the country, model, equipment and installed software version. The country pages of the BMW website provide information on the relevant content and prerequisites for Remote Software Upgrade in each market. Instructions and tips for Remote Software Upgrade can be found in the corresponding BMW how-to video.

New features and widget for My BMW app.

Updates to the My BMW app will also expand and improve its functionality. The latest update for the My BMW app includes a widget with a selection of features for the home screen of Apple iPhones and Android smartphones. With the help of the widget, users can perform remote functions, such as unlocking the vehicle remotely or starting the climate control, with one click directly from the home screen.

The My BMW app update will be available to download from the Apple and Google app stores from 16 May 2022. Customers can use the My BMW app to download the new Remote Software, as an alternative to downloading it through the vehicle. The new software is convenient to install and rarely takes longer than 20 minutes.
The My BMW app also offers additional features – for example, connecting drivers fully with their BMW and providing status updates at any time. A new tab, “BMW Services & Store”, provides access to digital features and services from BMW partners, as well as financial services and information on new models. All activated and available services are displayed in the Digital Services Hub and can be added with just a few clicks.

Press release: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-bmw-customers
Attached Images

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Nothing in my 22 m5 yet... guess we don't get one lol?
Appreciate 1
MAGugs1.50
      05-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

My life is obviously not complete as I won't be able to have qlocktwo on my older car.

Don't know how I've managed to date without that

Glad to see they are concentrating on the important stuff
Appreciate 9
Swappy531.50
lakmus22.00
Cadillac358.50
2srsman68.00
francton124.50
stein_325i25051.00
DavidXJ661.50
Brheik21.50
      05-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I've always wanted to decipher a word matrix to tell the time while I'm driving through the city 🤣
Appreciate 6
Swappy531.50
gnolivos306.00
volodp193.50
francton124.50
stein_325i25051.00
530iDriver1707.50
      05-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
I've always wanted to decipher a word matrix to tell the time while I'm driving through the city 🤣
Don't you worry, you've got driving assistants keeping you alive whilst you are being distracted by the plasma screens when behind the wheel /s
      05-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Soon you won't even need to buy a bmw once it becomes self driving. At that point you can sit and sleep in any brand. Toyota is going to make a killing once that happens.
      05-27-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
Jklotz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

QLOCKTWO has to be the most stupid thing I've ever seen a car manufacturer try to push. "Ya know, I was on the fence between the BMW and the Porsche, but then I saw QLOCKTWO and I knew I needed the bimmer."
Appreciate 7
      05-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

22-03-552 has been released as a RSU
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Do you guys remember when BMW set itself apart from competitors by having exceptional ergonomics and a strict driver focus. Now we have an illegible clock thing.
      05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I am surprised that nobody is mentioning the Personal eSIM feature.🤔
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #11
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

is this in 4K 144 FPS ?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
I am surprised that nobody is mentioning the Personal eSIM feature.🤔
That's what I wanted to see if it worked on my f90 but no update lol
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 12:30 AM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Yep, I'm now 100% convinced - iDrive 6 was peak iDrive. Does everything you could possibly need/want in a car, without trying too hard to do too much, without the ability to download a new "feature" or break an existing one, etc.
      05-31-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Man that QLOCKTWO widget will really mess with my ADHD "Ain't nobody got time for dat"
2002 M5 Carbon Black (sold) should have never sold her
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 01:15 AM   #15
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I'm surprised as hell it's allowed in a car to be honest. It must take longer to find out the Time and therefore your eyes are off the road for longer
Appreciate 0