BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

09-04-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
starla
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Stripped Lug Stud

I have a 2016 X5 and have a lug stud that is stripped. I was having my front tires replaced at a tire shop and they said that one of the lug nuts had to be forced out and the stud appears stripped. They said they do not have the proper tools to rethread the stud but that I could look at a machine shop to do it. Anybody have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay far away from the dealer shop. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #2
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
I have a 2016 X5 and have a lug stud that is stripped. I was having my front tires replaced at a tire shop and they said that one of the lug nuts had to be forced out and the stud appears stripped. They said they do not have the proper tools to rethread the stud but that I could look at a machine shop to do it. Anybody have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay far away from the dealer shop. Thank you.
BMW doesn't use pressed in studs, but rather the lugs are the studs. If the threads in the hub are damaged, you can try to chase the threads with a tap, but you may ultimately need to replace the hub. Try any local machine shop first to see if they can chase the threads and assess if they are okay to use. My guess is that the last shop that put those lugs on drove them in with an impact wrench before hand threading them several turns to get them started and they cross threaded the lug.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2024, 02:27 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

Agreed w/ all the above. You could find the tap size and DIY it, or get a helicoil or something in it, but would almost guarantee that replacing will be better and not any more expensive for the part by itself. $150-ish and an hour of work, not too bad. If the tire shop does other basic maintenance work, they'd be able to do this.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 02:32 PM   #4
starla
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Agreed w/ all the above. You could find the tap size and DIY it, or get a helicoil or something in it, but would almost guarantee that replacing will be better and not any more expensive for the part by itself. $150-ish and an hour of work, not too bad. If the tire shop does other basic maintenance work, they'd be able to do this.
You mean it's better to just replace the whole hub?

The tire shop does nothing but tires and told me they don't have the proper tools to help me. They were the ones to suggest the machine shop. Iam now leaning on taking it to my mechanic who specializes in German cars (not the dealer) and just having the hub replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
You mean it's better to just replace the whole hub?

The tire shop does nothing but tires and told me they don't have the proper tools to help me. They were the ones to suggest the machine shop. Iam now leaning on taking it to my mechanic who specializes in German cars (not the dealer) and just having the hub replaced.
The cleanest/safest approach would be to replace the hub and lug(s).
Appreciate 1
slilley80.00
      09-05-2024, 09:36 AM   #6
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

I would go back to the last shop that worked on the tire and tell them they damaged it and need to fix it! Or you'll fix it and take them to court! Have a certified shop examine and generate a report explaining the issue and what is required to repair it. Again, give the shop that last had that tire off an opportunity to fix or correct what they're responsible for. Then just do what you have to do! New hub is obviously best, but yes, the very least may be just using a tap and rethreading the hole. DIY isn't a problem, taps are freely available. And as long as the bolt tightens without stripping (make sure torque spec is used) when the threads are reestablished, you're good to go.

I give shops torque limiting extensions to be used when working on my car. But 99% maintenance and more I do myself for these types of reasons. Had my wife's car get an oil change because I was pressed for time. Next oil change I did and needed a breaker bar to loosen the oil drain plug! Man was I pissed... Those only need Good n Tight (30-40ftlbs)!!! Which is basically what you can tighten by hand + 1/4 turn!

Anyways...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 10:32 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '25 Z4, '15 X3 35i (135i sold)

No way you'll get the shop that caused the stripped bolt issue to admit to it, nor could you prove it was them. How long ago was it, no way to prove you didn't remove the wheel yourself and cause it, and of course another shops taken a wheel off as well.

More like 18 ft-lbs for my BMW's over the last 13+ years I've owned them. 30-40 is far too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #8
starla
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
No way you'll get the shop that caused the stripped bolt issue to admit to it, nor could you prove it was them. How long ago was it, no way to prove you didn't remove the wheel yourself and cause it, and of course another shops taken a wheel off as well.

More like 18 ft-lbs for my BMW's over the last 13+ years I've owned them. 30-40 is far too much.
That's what i'm thinking. The only people to touch that tire was the dealership I bought it certified used from and another BMW dealer closer to my home that took the wheel off because glass got stuck behind the brake drum. My money is on that being who damaged the stud but who could say?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #9
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I actually had a Discount Tire admit cross threading a lug nut on a car years ago and they gave me a voucher to get it repaired at a shop they sent me to. Chances are the person that drove your lug in probably had no idea that it was cross threaded when they did it.
Appreciate 0