BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

05-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #1783
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
When more and more people drive EV's, the incentives will materialize. Residential and commercial solar panels will also relieve a good portion of the workload.
I'm not sure it's that easy. The infrastructure to support even 20% EV's would cost staggering amounts, and that burden will be on the tax payer. Given current tax rates I'm not sure folks are going to be happy with that.

When the push for EV's started some years ago, Toronto Hydro said that if 10% of the cars in Toronto were EV's the grid wouldn't be able to support it, brown outs would be the least of the problems. Solar panels on homes aren't cheap, so besides buying an EV I have to spend another $20K + to charge it.....this is a big complicated problem and I don't see it being resolved anytime soon.
I don't think anyone thinks it's going to be easy. It's going to be very hard before it becomes less hard and then eventually it will just be the status quo. I think we've come a long way from where we were 10 years ago and I don't see a reason to stop because there's still a ways to go, if anything we should be pushing forward even more. I don't see perseverance as a downfall.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:34 AM   #1784
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Folks, Tesla is building cars and selling them. They are doing just fine. Plenty of people are willing to invest in Tesla. It is not for everyone. Let the haters hate, they have nothing better to do. Buy it don't buy it who cares.

Even if BEVs don't catch on with other manufacturers, Tesla owners are still fine driving all over the World with this mature and growing charging network. Those who have a BEV can still rent for occasional off road trail. Those with multiple cars in family can have both BEV and Petro.
Appreciate 2
D22M2477.00
jmg7346.00

05-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #1785
clee1982
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Tesla is 1000 Panasonic AAs taped together under the floor. This isn't advanced at all, you realize this? BMW does the same thing in the i performance cars.

The motors in BMW are also better than Tesla was using until just recently when Tesla switched over.

The only thing Tesla has going for it is a head start. Tech wise EVs are really simple at this point.
Yes conceptually it's simple, but conceptually a lot things are simple yet no one is doing (in volume) as well as Tesla
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #1786
SleepingBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
BMW EV owner here - this is a stretch.

No one can get their hands on enough of those 2170 AA cells... they're an advantage. Conceptually the tech is simple (Tesla has released all its patents), but scale and vertical integration will elude Germany for a while.
Well that's true on vertical integration. I just think GM and Germany won't be behind for long once they are ready.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #1787
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well that's true on vertical integration. I just think GM and Germany won't be behind for long once they are ready.
Would also add that TSLA is probably 2-3 years ahead of BMW on L4/5 autonomy.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #1788
SleepingBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's the legal status on that anyway? How many Tesla's sell with the upgrade for auto pilot? Genuinely don't know. I have no interest in it personally but I'd imagine an LA commute would get me thinking differently.

I also agree that if you're driving a 320i to work and back you may as well get an electric and save money and emissions.

But from where I'm sitting, pending a gas crisis, electrics are doomed to be a niche market like sports cars, and soon a very crowded one.

Look at Roadsters. Miata led to everybody making one. Merc and Nissan cancelled there's this year, BMW and Mazda both co developed there's and porsche.

Could be electrics in 20 years if gas stays cheap, hydrogen works out, or whatever and electrics end up being a trendy fad.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #1789
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's the legal status on that anyway? How many Tesla's sell with the upgrade for auto pilot? Genuinely don't know. I have no interest in it personally but I'd imagine an LA commute would get me thinking differently.

I also agree that if you're driving a 320i to work and back you may as well get an electric and save money and emissions.

But from where I'm sitting, pending a gas crisis, electrics are doomed to be a niche market like sports cars, and soon a very crowded one.

Look at Roadsters. Miata led to everybody making one. Merc and Nissan cancelled there's this year, BMW and Mazda both co developed there's and porsche.

Could be electrics in 20 years if gas stays cheap, hydrogen works out, or whatever and electrics end up being a trendy fad.
This isn't meant to be a diminutive question - have you driven a Model S or Model 3? Particularly one with HW3? If not, do, I'd recommend. The whole ecosystem was a novelty to me until I did.

And for context, my other cars are a V8 RR (which replaced an F85 X5M) and an E46 M3 Wagon (conversion). I've owned a 1M and nearly every generation M3. I am very much a patrol head... but the next car that I buy to take my family from point A -> B will be a BEV.

The i3s that I've referenced was a steal ($250/month for 24 months) and I needed a station car (wagon now has weekend duty) — it's been a revelatory for me. IMHO, BEVs are the future* and the most successful BEVs will have a proper charging network. While 90% of my charging happens at home, it's annoying that I can't drive long distances with the BMW (perhaps that's a knock on range, more than charging network), there's simply no reliable charging network remotely close to Tesla's (both in scale and kWh delivery). Politically, carbon emissions are likely to get more, not less expensive, particularly as we learn the medium term consequences of fracking, etc. ICE isn't going anywhere any time soon, but it's hard to believe that we've grid-scaled nearly everything but transportation (I.e. utility based computing, electricity, etc.) — it's just strange that we produce 17 million small, inefficient power plants with no higher use than moving people around.

On the L4/5 autonomy, I think (and perhaps I'm in the minority) that we're not far from human drivers being deemed more dangerous than L5. I'd recommend watching Tesla's autonomy day (yes, there's some fluff); at this point, it's less about following/location recognition than replicating/improving the biomechanics of a human driver (it reads signs, recognizes objects, people, has seen a many million miles of snow covered roads, has predictive capability/doesn't rely on GPS, etc.), augmented with a more effective sensory array (more eyes, radar and sonar) and (if not, already) faster processing. Here too, having done the work of building their own chips (everyone else relies on Nvidia), they have an advantage. Their chips are designed specifically for their neural network and their training apparatus. On training, in every recent Tesla the AI is running and comparing it's behavior to the human driver (even with AP off), if they diverge, the entire catalogue of data/video is uploaded to Tesla for training. Tesla is getting millions and millions of real reps and edge cases. Many more than even most human drivers will ever see. Everyone else is relying on simulation - which is inherently imperfect. Many manufacturers will fight L5 — they know it's the beginning of the end of car ownership in the classic sense. This is Western Union vs. Bell. It's too disruptive to accept. The battle the incumbents are fighting is imaginative, they now adapt or die.

*I love that can precondition indoors, it's silent, instant torque, way less NVH. Driving a BEV for a while, my regular ICE vehicle's almost feel like they're broken ("why so much vibration?").

P.S. perhaps I'm just bitter they're killing manuals
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #1790
SleepingBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This isn't meant to be a diminutive question - have you driven a Model S or Model 3? Particularly one with HW3? If not, do, I'd recommend. The whole ecosystem was a novelty to me until I did.

And for context, my other cars are a V8 RR (which replaced an F85 X5M) and an E46 M3 Wagon (conversion). I've owned a 1M and nearly every generation M3. I am very much a patrol head... but the next car that I buy to take my family from point A -> B will be a BEV.

The i3s that I've referenced was a steal ($250/month for 24 months) and I needed a station car (wagon now has weekend duty) — it's been a revelatory for me. IMHO, BEVs are the future* and the most successful BEVs will have a proper charging network. While 90% of my charging happens at home, it's annoying that I can't drive long distances with the BMW (perhaps that's a knock on range, more than charging network), there's simply no reliable charging network remotely close to Tesla's (both in scale and kWh delivery). Politically, carbon emissions are likely to get more, not less expensive, particularly as we learn the medium term consequences of fracking, etc. ICE isn't going anywhere any time soon, but it's hard to believe that we've grid-scaled nearly everything but transportation (I.e. utility based computing, electricity, etc.) — it's just strange that we produce 17 million small, inefficient power plants with no higher use than moving people around.

On the L4/5 autonomy, I think (and perhaps I'm in the minority) that we're not far from human drivers being deemed more dangerous than L5. I'd recommend watching Tesla's autonomy day (yes, there's some fluff); at this point, it's less about following/location recognition than replicating/improving the biomechanics of a human driver (it reads signs, recognizes objects, people, has seen a many million miles of snow covered roads, has predictive capability/doesn't rely on GPS, etc.), augmented with a more effective sensory array (more eyes, radar and sonar) and (if not, already) faster processing. Here too, having done the work of building their own chips (everyone else relies on Nvidia), they have an advantage. Their chips are designed specifically for their neural network and their training apparatus. On training, in every recent Tesla the AI is running and comparing it's behavior to the human driver (even with AP off), if they diverge, the entire catalogue of data/video is uploaded to Tesla for training. Tesla is getting millions and millions of real reps and edge cases. Many more than even most human drivers will ever see. Everyone else is relying on simulation - which is inherently imperfect. Many manufacturers will fight L5 — they know it's the beginning of the end of car ownership in the classic sense. This is Western Union vs. Bell. It's too disruptive to accept. The battle the incumbents are fighting is imaginative, they now adapt or die.

*I love that can precondition indoors, it's silent, instant torque, way less NVH. Driving a BEV for a while, my regular ICE vehicle's almost feel like they're broken ("why so much vibration?").

P.S. perhaps I'm just bitter they're killing manuals
Ill test drive a Tesla eventually, I have a shop nearby it's just a matter of doing it.

If everybody switches to electric that's sort of a win for sports cars IMO because then the need for regulations forcing them to reduce emissions go away as they become hobby and pleasure focused. Nobody minds small scale cars driving for fun, it's daily commuting that's taking a toll.

Likewise I'm interested in hybrid sports cars. I don't think electric is there yet but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #1791
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ill test drive a Tesla eventually, I have a shop nearby it's just a matter of doing it.

If everybody switches to electric that's sort of a win for sports cars IMO because then the need for regulations forcing them to reduce emissions go away as they become hobby and pleasure focused. Nobody minds small scale cars driving for fun, it's daily commuting that's taking a toll.

Likewise I'm interested in hybrid sports cars. I don't think electric is there yet but you never know.
Totally agree re: hobby-ization if sports cars.

Re: BEV sports cars... https://www.tesla.com/roadster

A bit pricey for me, but if they make one half as good for half the money, I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #1792
SleepingBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree re: hobby-ization if sports cars.

Re: BEV sports cars... https://www.tesla.com/roadster

A bit pricey for me, but if they make one half as good for half the money, I'm in.
I'm still considering the old Tesla Roadster tbh. I'm going to buy a 3rd car and a roadster in year or two an it's on my list. I'm too young to buy a car worth THAT price though for the new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #1793
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

This idiot is on crack...

Quote:
Elon Musk to investors: Self-driving will make Tesla a $500 billion company
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #1794
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post

This idiot is on crack...
Crack is the most docile drug in that cocktail
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #1795
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and Tesla P85

Quote:
Based on what?
I'm sure the reality is opposite and Tesla might never be able to reach level 5, or even 4. BMW have 2000 people working on autonomity and also cooperate with Mobileye and others. Tesla are all alone.

I think you are confused by the fact that Tesla uses Tesla drivers as testers and comparetheir tech with what BMW has live. I'm quite sure BMW is far far ahead in their research lab.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #1796
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
Quote:
Based on what?
I'm sure the reality is opposite and Tesla might never be able to reach level 5, or even 4. BMW have 2000 people working on autonomity and also cooperate with Mobileye and others. Tesla are all alone.

I think you are confused by the fact that Tesla uses Tesla drivers as testers and comparetheir tech with what BMW has live. I'm quite sure BMW is far far ahead in their research lab.
BMW doesn't have 2000 people doing anything in R&D. They charging for scale - that means subcontracting and resource sharing for R&D (i.e. research partnerships). That may be the efficient way to do things, but it's not the fastest, nor does it produce the 'best' product.

The market (and I don't necessarily agree with this) allows Tesla to light money on fire — BMW is held to a different standard as a mature company.

Could you imagine BMW announcing a massive annual loss because they're plowing money into a battery factory, completely custom chip and bleeding edge AI R&D?

Tesla has literally managed to lure some of the earliest/best AI pioneers on the promise of complete control and budget only constrained by what the market is/was willing to lend them.

IMHO, BMW and MB will eventually merge — they're already coordinating on next generation platforms/architectures/use the same suppliers and need more scale to compete with VAG, Toyota and the growing Indian and Chinese conglomerates.

The United States *seems* to still be better at creative destruction; TSLA will eat some of the incumbents and others will reverse merge with them (see Ford investment in Rivian) as the entire auto industry evolves into a pure autonomy play.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #1797
David70
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Folks, Tesla is building cars and selling them. They are doing just fine. Plenty of people are willing to invest in Tesla. It is not for everyone. Let the haters hate, they have nothing better to do. Buy it don't buy it who cares.

Even if BEVs don't catch on with other manufacturers, Tesla owners are still fine driving all over the World with this mature and growing charging network. Those who have a BEV can still rent for occasional off road trail. Those with multiple cars in family can have both BEV and Petro.

Building cars and selling them isn't a sustainable business on its own. They continue to lose money and yesterday announced they are taking actions to raise another $2.3 billion. Selling 3.1 million shares means the value attached to each share (what you own with each share) just went down. I guess it depends on what you mean by "doing just fine".
      05-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #1798
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Funny how most thinks EV are the future but my own prediction is Tesla might not be around 10 years from now.

They loss USD620M in 2016 and loss USD13,000 on very car they sold. The loss was only USD4,000 per car back in 2015.

Their cash flows are predominantly sustained by all the punters from Wall street.

When Wall street crashes (not if but when) and pull the plug so will Tesla.
I remember these posts about Amazon.
Appreciate 1
jmg7346.00

05-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #1799
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Building cars and selling them isn't a sustainable business on its own. They continue to lose money and yesterday announced they are taking actions to raise another $2.3 billion. Selling 3.1 million shares means the value attached to each share (what you own with each share) just went down. I guess it depends on what you mean by "doing just fine".
They're making enormous and bleeding-edge capital investment. The fact that they were profitable even for a quarter is a miracle. Comparing a mature car company with TSLA is missing the point - people view and invest in each for different reasons.

I for one can't figure out why Uber will IPO with 2x the market cap of TSLA when it's basically a race toward who has better autonomy/vertical integration. A ride hailing app is the easy part.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #1800
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Funny how most thinks EV are the future but my own prediction is Tesla might not be around 10 years from now.

They loss USD620M in 2016 and loss USD13,000 on very car they sold. The loss was only USD4,000 per car back in 2015.

Their cash flows are predominantly sustained by all the punters from Wall street.

Quote:
I remember these posts about Nortel.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #1801
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
Quote:

Quote:
I remember these posts about Nortel.
Touché - but TSLA's (admittedly nosebleed) valuation has never been afforded the extremes that Nortel, et al saw in late 1999/early 2000.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #1802
530iDriver
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:

Amazon is also a money losing scheme..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #1803
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Amazon is also a money losing scheme..
There's a difference between 'losing money' and reinvesting profits/making capital expenditure. Amazon has created enormous enterprise value through those investments. Something often forgotten in an age when most companies seem to have no higher use for their capital than to return it to shareholders.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #1804
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Something often forgotten in an age when most companies seem to have no higher use for their capital than to return it to shareholders.
Peak capitalism?
Appreciate 0