BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #23
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
4677
Rep
1,591
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
AMD will be cheaper, but they lack in stability and support in some cases (your mileage may vary).
Thats exactly the reason why I stay at Intel, no need to hide under some rocks.
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #24
ga9213
First Lieutenant
United_States
240
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Olathe, KS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I gotta be honest one of the reasons I stopped building PC rigs was because I had a kid and focused on my career and just wanted something that was play and play, which is why I got an x-box. I have way too many hobbies to spend a bunch of time piecing together another rig. I just want to play!!
ahh come on mannn that's no excuse. I have a career and kids and can find time to set aside maybe 2-3 hours to build the PC.

But I certainly understand if you just don't want to dick around with it. Me? I love having an excuse to have some quiet time and put together the grown up legos.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #25
Chapperss
God of Sod (all)
United Kingdom
61
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: e93 335i Msport - Clio 182 FF
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bognor Regis

iTrader: (0)

I don`t get the unreliability comment aimed at AMD, it`s very old school thinking (like 10 years ago at least old school) - I will say it again, AMD are trouncing Intel and Intel has no answer. It is expected Intel will not catch up for about 5 years.

I can not think of a single reason anyone wanting a gaming rig would go Intel over AMD.

Given i`m not the brightest, but AMD beat Intel in every benchmark at every price point and comparable product by a country mile. Add in the you can easily overclock AMD whilst Intel lock their chips down gives even more reason.

I get why people are Apple junkies even though there are better phones on the market (Apple has a great OS for one) but with a CPU for a PC it just doesn't compute (I thank you)!

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #26
ga9213
First Lieutenant
United_States
240
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Olathe, KS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
I don`t get the unreliability comment aimed at AMD, it`s very old school thinking (like 10 years ago at least old school) - I will say it again, AMD are trouncing Intel and Intel has no answer. It is expected Intel will not catch up for about 5 years.

I can not think of a single reason anyone wanting a gaming rig would go Intel over AMD.

Given i`m not the brightest, but AMD beat Intel in every benchmark at every price point and comparable product by a country mile. Add in the you can easily overclock AMD whilst Intel lock their chips down gives even more reason.

I get why people are Apple junkies even though there are better phones on the market (Apple has a great OS for one) but with a CPU for a PC it just doesn't compute (I thank you)!

Just to clarify here as a long time Intel guy who's recently decided to do the next build as Ryzen...

Intel pound for pound has had a stronger single core IPC so their lower cost/core chips have performed better specifically for most gaming applications.

Overclocking is also not at all locked down on the K chips...and overclocking is crazy easy. I actually reduced my vcore and still got a stable 4.8ghz overclock on my 7700k on the first try. Got as high as 5.2 but had to increase vcore and didn't see much improvement in most games.

That being said AMD has come a LOOOOOONG way and their Ryzen Zen 3 architecture looks like they might truly have intel beat. Given intel's business decisions I very much want to support AMD as the little guy fighting the giant in the industry. Good for them, and I'm ready to give them my money on my next build. (FOR CPU LOL)
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #27
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9531
Rep
10,440
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I gotta be honest one of the reasons I stopped building PC rigs was because I had a kid and focused on my career and just wanted something that was play and play, which is why I got an x-box. I have way too many hobbies to spend a bunch of time piecing together another rig. I just want to play!!
ahh come on mannn that's no excuse. I have a career and kids and can find time to set aside maybe 2-3 hours to build the PC.

But I certainly understand if you just don't want to dick around with it. Me? I love having an excuse to have some quiet time and put together the grown up legos.
Between tracking, photography, biking etc... my time is already very limited.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #28
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9531
Rep
10,440
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well, I guess you guys were right. I couldn't resist just building my own. I was not 100% happy with the components that Micro Center used for the PowerSpec G435:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...aming-computer
http://www.powerspec.com/systems/sys...selection=G435



Here is my build:


CPU
Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $377.77

CPU Cooler
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $169.99

Motherboard
ASRock Z490 Taichi ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $389.99

Memory
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $134.99

Storage
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $169.89

Video Card
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card $499.99

Case
NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case $149.88

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $108.78

Wired Network Adapter
TP-Link TG-3468 PCIe x1 1000 Mbit/s Network Adapter $14.50

TOTAL: $2185.77

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmg703/saved/RM4mrH

A few questions:

1) I really just want to play STAR WARS SQUADRON on the Oculous and maybe make it future compatible for VR. I play maybe 1 or 2 games a year and stick with it. I play a few hours a week, but I do not play a long list of games. Is this overkill? Keep in mind I have an iMac 5K with two monitors that I use for everything. This is ONLY be a gaming PC.

2) My problem is that I want to get the NVIDIA 3080, but it's not in stock anywhere. Do I get a cheap card and suck it up for a bit or just build without a card for now? It seems like waste of $500 to get the 2070.

3) Do I need a card for blutooth/wifi/Ethernet? Or is it built in now?

4) What else am I missing? Any "bottlenecks"?

THANKS!
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i

Last edited by jmg; 10-11-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #29
TheeE86
Private
23
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: AW
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

That computer is going to be badass.
I know I’d 100% wait for at least the 3070, or the new AMD cards are being annouced on the 29th I believe. The 2070 super is going to be your bottleneck.
I can’t comment if onboard WiFi is any good, but if you decide to get a WiFi card, I use this one my connection is 400down/400up and it works at full speed...
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC68...01648367&psc=1
Appreciate 1
jmg9530.50

      10-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #30
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9531
Rep
10,440
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeE86 View Post
That computer is going to be badass.
I know I’d 100% wait for at least the 3070, or the new AMD cards are being annouced on the 29th I believe. The 2070 super is going to be your bottleneck.
I can’t comment if onboard WiFi is any good, but if you decide to get a WiFi card, I use this one my connection is 400down/400up and it works at full speed...
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC68...01648367&psc=1
I'm just wondering if it NEEDS to be that badass for what I want. I mean, if I can get it down to $1500 with only maybe a 10% drop in performance I would.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #31
TheeE86
Private
23
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: AW
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I'm just wondering if it NEEDS to be that badass for what I want. I mean, if I can get it down to $1500 with only maybe a 10% drop in performance I would.
Im not familiar with performance of the Oculus, and it’s really hard to say what someone elses expectations are, of course all those components are very high end and you don’t ‘need’ them to run any game. If you choose the 10700k then where I can see you saving money is with memory, 16gb is going to be plenty fine. The nvme drive, a 1tb 2.5inch ssd can be found for cheaper. 850watt supply isn’t needed but probably won’t save you much money. Window 10 keys can be purchased for $25.
Most importantly though is waiting for the 3070, or finding a used 2080ti for ~$500. You’ll regret not waiting because there is quite a jump in power from the 3000 series cards. The 2070 super is pretty equal to a 1080ti which was released in 2017.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #32
limitless831
New Member
1
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: Landrover Discovery HSE, M6 GC
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

bringing this back from the dead, is there a place where everyone shares their comp builds?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #33
br2wdc
Second Lieutenant
95
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northern VA/Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

In 2017 AMD came out with the Ryzen chip, and Intel has been playing catch-up ever since. In fact, the Intel CEO was on CNBC this morning and could offer no explanation for their shrinking margins, but each analyst did and spelled it out: AMD

Some background on why AMD is a better value/choice for gaming:

https://www.gamingscan.com/amd-ryzen...el-for-gaming/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
I don`t get the unreliability comment aimed at AMD, it`s very old school thinking (like 10 years ago at least old school) - I will say it again, AMD are trouncing Intel and Intel has no answer. It is expected Intel will not catch up for about 5 years.

I can not think of a single reason anyone wanting a gaming rig would go Intel over AMD.

Given i`m not the brightest, but AMD beat Intel in every benchmark at every price point and comparable product by a country mile. Add in the you can easily overclock AMD whilst Intel lock their chips down gives even more reason.

I get why people are Apple junkies even though there are better phones on the market (Apple has a great OS for one) but with a CPU for a PC it just doesn't compute (I thank you)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Just to clarify here as a long time Intel guy who's recently decided to do the next build as Ryzen...

Intel pound for pound has had a stronger single core IPC so their lower cost/core chips have performed better specifically for most gaming applications.

Overclocking is also not at all locked down on the K chips...and overclocking is crazy easy. I actually reduced my vcore and still got a stable 4.8ghz overclock on my 7700k on the first try. Got as high as 5.2 but had to increase vcore and didn't see much improvement in most games.

That being said AMD has come a LOOOOOONG way and their Ryzen Zen 3 architecture looks like they might truly have intel beat. Given intel's business decisions I very much want to support AMD as the little guy fighting the giant in the industry. Good for them, and I'm ready to give them my money on my next build. (FOR CPU LOL)
__________________

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #34
limitless831
New Member
1
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: Landrover Discovery HSE, M6 GC
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
In 2017 AMD came out with the Ryzen chip, and Intel has been playing catch-up ever since. In fact, the Intel CEO was on CNBC this morning and could offer no explanation for their shrinking margins, but each analyst did and spelled it out: AMD

Some background on why AMD is a better value/choice for gaming:

https://www.gamingscan.com/amd-ryzen...el-for-gaming/
This is the truth, Intel for years has been on their high horse and now are getting off their ass seeing that they are being 2nd rated.

I've always been an intel lover and have the new 10900k but i literally cant find a single excuse to keep buying intel. My next CPU upgrade in 5 years will be AMD
Appreciate 1
br2wdc95.00

      10-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #35
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
4677
Rep
1,591
Posts

Drives: M4CPC
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitless831 View Post
bringing this back from the dead, is there a place where everyone shares their comp builds?
Sure, search here for "post your monster gaming rig" or so in titel.
__________________
M4CP - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
9531
Rep
10,440
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Update: ordered everything but the 3080. Total cosr was $1400. Canceled everything the next day. Buyers remorse. Getting track tires instead.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:59 PM   #37
RED_Y_
Major
United_States
464
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Oh man, building new computers is so easy and so much fun these days. I literally ask support team from my company to build custom computers for them, there are lots of amazing games over there and you don't have to drop giant stack of cash. You can get something around $1500 and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #38
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
160
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haymarket, VA

iTrader: (1)

Some of you guys are spending mad money for minimal performance gains, IMO. I use an old 4th gen Intel i7/GTX 1070 and play PUBG, COD:WZ, Apex Legends on high settings at 1080p at 90+ fps.

Here's my $1k'ish build, if you buy NEW. F that. Find something similar off local craigslist that has a decent foundation (mobo and case), then swap out the rest.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/joshta...d/#view=WtrjZL

Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD
Processor: Intel i7-6700k (4-4.2GHz)
CPU Fan: Frio Silent 12
Memory: Crucial Ballistic 16GB kit (2x8)
PSU: EVGA 500W
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD
Case: Roswell Galaxy-02 Mid Tower
Display: Asus 27" 1440p MG279Q

I recently swapped from a GTX 1070 to the RTX 2070 Super and noticed 20 FPS better on average on 1440p. If you're playing 1080p, don't bother, you'll still get 100+ FPS with the 1070.
__________________
2003 M3 | SMG | KW V1 | Apex ARC-8s | 3.85 LSD | Cobra Nogaro | S2R Tuning Sunroof Delete | Billy Boat Section 3
Appreciate 1
paliknight2101.00

      11-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #39
simmonsshorovitz
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

A few days ago I played LOTR Shadows of Murder after I have not played for more than 5 years. It was so cool)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #40
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
2101
Rep
2,606
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Am i too late to save people from getting ripped off?

I have been tracking 3070, 3080 and 3090 builds that range from 1400-2500. Please do not pay 2k for a 2070 build with outdated CPUs and GPUs.

If someone needs help then hit me up. I am NOT making any money. Just giving out advice since I’ve been in the market and managed to grab a 3070 and a 3090 at MSRP.
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #41
ga9213
First Lieutenant
United_States
240
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Olathe, KS

iTrader: (0)

If you have pointers I'm all ears. I was able to snag a 5600x cpu but now trying to get a 3080 and my God these bots are horrible.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST