BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #155
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I always thought the best form of flattery was lies and deception?

Or is that the best way into her drawers..., either way, its all about having the look.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #156
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
I’m not an expert by any means, but I have a fair amount of personal experience combined with a good bit of knowledge I’ve learned from people much smarter than me so take my responses for what they’re worth.
As far as what makes a good running shoe: The one that you’re happy with and the one that doesn’t cause injury. That could mean buying a pair on sale for $50 or spending top dollar on the best ones out there.

If I were you, I’d take the time to go to a running store and have them recommend something to you. They’ll uncover how your feet are shaped, and the weaknesses in your running form then find a shoe that caters to you.

Note: Dick’s Sporting Goods is NOT a running store.

Find something that:
- Fits perfect (the most important quality)
-Caters to your how your foot contacts the ground (pronation or supination)
-Caters to the arch of your foot (flat feet, high arch, etc)
-Support (something that provides cushion when your foot strike the ground)

Don’t buy minimalist shoes. Many companies are catering to this market right now. It’s really popular, but minimalist shoes are horrible for the beginning runner. You can tear your feed, ankles, back and knees up if you try and run with these kinds of shoes without a lot of experience.

Most running shoes will naturally start to lose their form and support before 500 miles. Even the best running shoes should be retired before that point.

I personally have flat arches, very wide feet, and have a strong pronation issue. There aren’t many shoes out there that cater to that, but I’m currently using something very similar to the New Balance 1340. They aren’t the best for everyone, but knowing how my feet are built they’re the best FOR ME.

EDIT- If you're runing 10 miles a week and don't weight very much, you can probably get away with almost anything. However, with you increase your distance, have less than perfect form, or weigh more than most the problems will quickly begin to present themselves.
This is all very good information, thank you!

I have an athletic build, high arched crest, and an average foot width. I play a lot of ice and roller hockey in my free time, as well as bicycling and now running, so I am not the fat guy trying to make up for lost time, just doing it to keep me busy and active.

Right now I run about 10 miles a week, 2 miles every morning before work. Sometimes I'll go for a run on the weekend depending on how I feel. So, I guess I haven't exactly pushed myself to where shoes would be a huge impact, but I'd rather avoid any prolonged issues that I know would come from having the wrong support.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #157
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

RH offers some very good guidance. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and let them help guide you. A good store has trained staff that are often hard core runners themselves. They can help determine if you are a normal pronator, over pronate (see link below) or under pronate and then get you into the right shoe. If you pronate (either way), you will want a motion control shoe like the NB 1340's RH is using. Personally I use a neutral shoe (New Balance 880's) with some custom orthodics to control what little pronation I have.

Over time, even your 10 miles a week with the wrong shoes can lead to issue like runner's knee, IT band issues or plantar plantar fasciitis.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...ed?page=single
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #158
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
I’m not an expert by any means, but I have a fair amount of personal experience combined with a good bit of knowledge I’ve learned from people much smarter than me so take my responses for what they’re worth.
As far as what makes a good running shoe: The one that you’re happy with and the one that doesn’t cause injury. That could mean buying a pair on sale for $50 or spending top dollar on the best ones out there.

If I were you, I’d take the time to go to a running store and have them recommend something to you. They’ll uncover how your feet are shaped, and the weaknesses in your running form then find a shoe that caters to you.

Note: Dick’s Sporting Goods is NOT a running store.

Find something that:
- Fits perfect (the most important quality)
-Caters to your how your foot contacts the ground (pronation or supination)
-Caters to the arch of your foot (flat feet, high arch, etc)
-Support (something that provides cushion when your foot strike the ground)

Don’t buy minimalist shoes. Many companies are catering to this market right now. It’s really popular, but minimalist shoes are horrible for the beginning runner. You can tear your feed, ankles, back and knees up if you try and run with these kinds of shoes without a lot of experience.

Most running shoes will naturally start to lose their form and support before 500 miles. Even the best running shoes should be retired before that point.

I personally have flat arches, very wide feet, and have a strong pronation issue. There aren’t many shoes out there that cater to that, but I’m currently using something very similar to the New Balance 1340. They aren’t the best for everyone, but knowing how my feet are built they’re the best FOR ME.

EDIT- If you're runing 10 miles a week and don't weight very much, you can probably get away with almost anything. However, with you increase your distance, have less than perfect form, or weigh more than most the problems will quickly begin to present themselves.
oh oh, this fucking guy is an expert shoeman now !?!?

who dafuq you think you are !?!? Al Bundy !?!?

i used the word shoeman, ya'll !!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #159
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
RH offers some very good guidance. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and let them help guide you. A good store has trained staff that are often hard core runners themselves. They can help determine if you are a normal pronator, over pronate (see link below) or under pronate and then get you into the right shoe.
i think i'm under pronate.

...i still have my foreskin...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #160
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
RH offers some very good guidance. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and let them help guide you. A good store has trained staff that are often hard core runners themselves. They can help determine if you are a normal pronator, over pronate (see link below) or under pronate and then get you into the right shoe. If you pronate (either way), you will want a motion control shoe like the NB 1340's RH is using. Personally I use a neutral shoe (New Balance 880's) with some custom orthodics to control what little pronation I have.

Over time, even your 10 miles a week with the wrong shoes can lead to issue like runner's knee, IT band issues or plantar plantar fasciitis.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...ed?page=single
Thank you for including a link, because my dirty mind wandered every time you said "pronate" lol.

Being that I play hockey, I'm sure I under pronate as all my foot movement on the rink is generated by being flat footed and pushing outward, which I'm sure relates to my running habits.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #161
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

Saw this stuff on the television called bluesteel for underpronated men. Studies have shown a 199.99% improvement in less than 1 dose.

I still yield no results. Would not buy again.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #162
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
just as a reference, Nike doesn't make very good running shoes.

New Balanace, Asics and Saucony have to be at the top for best running shoe.
I think that may be, but only if they also fit your foot better than a Nike does. I know when I bought my Nike running shoes, the major reason was fit and the store had nothing from those other brands that fit as well. Since I only run on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day, I decided the Nike would be just fine. Outside of the gym, barring a life, death or diarrhea situation, I'm not running anywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #163
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #164
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

EDIT- If you're runing 10 miles a week and don't weight very much, you can probably get away with almost anything. However...[if you] weigh more than most the problems will quickly begin to present themselves.
I take it this is insight offered to non-Americans, the majority of whom need a bike more than they need a car???

I'm 6'0" and weighed 188 this morning and my waist was 31". Most American women I encounter weigh more than I do, and most men are heavier than most women. Frankly, I think most folks should forget about what kind of running shoes they are wearing and just do something to lose the excess weight. I understand that wearing proper athletic shoes is better for one than performing extended bouts of athleticism in the wrong shoes, but I also think being athletic is more important than what shoes one has on while trying to be athletic.

I get how in some countries, obesity is a status symbol. But I don't think that's so in U.S. In U.S., it's just laziness and complacency, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #165
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh oh, this fucking guy is an expert shoeman now !?!?

who dafuq you think you are !?!? Al Bundy !?!?

i used the word shoeman, ya'll !!!
I don't know if he's an expert, but I do know nothing he said is wrong.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #166
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't know if he's an expert, but I do know nothing he said is wrong.
i know - i was just fuckin with him
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #167
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I take it this is insight offered to non-Americans, the majority of whom need a bike more than they need a car???
Well I certainly agree that some people just need to get off their ass and do something. That’s a different issue entirely. However, to someone who is overweight, they’re going to hurt themselves very quickly and use it as an excuse.

It’s an easy variable to change and something that will keep you on the pavement and keep you exercising. I’m 5’10” 210 pounds with ~10% body fat. I consider myself to be in excellent shape, yet I still wear proper shoes no matter if I’m running, at work, or going out to a bar.

I say all this from personal experience. I wasn’t always in good shape. In a two year time period I gained 40-50 pounds after a powerlifting injury (and discovering Taco Bell in college). One day I decided to get off my ass and do something about it. I was one of the few who changed overnight and lost 50-60 pounds in about 15 weeks. I was lifting weights 1.5 hours a day, running 30 miles a week, doing extra cardio 1 hour a day, and still had 2-3 hour college baseball practices a day.

I lost a ton of weight, was in extremely good shape (resting heart rate in the low 40s), and had a very low body fat percentage, but I tore my body up. I developed Plantar fasciitis, runner’s knee, and pulled a hamstring.

Long story short, I learned how to manage that level of exercise by focusing hard on my form, technique, and I also used proper equipment which included the proper shoes. Eventually, those problems went away as well as the majority of my chronic back pain. It’s a simple variable to change so I see no reason why it should be negated.

Quote:
i know - i was just fuckin with him
I don’t take many things seriously on the internet. That usually includes my own posts as well. I assumed you were just messing around.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #168
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t take many things seriously on the internet. That usually includes my own posts as well. I assumed you were just messing around.
i thought it would be cute after i had originally said "you knew what you were talking about"
Appreciate 0