BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Out of state ticket -should I attend traffic school?

as the title says, i received a ticket while out of my home state. I live in FL, and received a ticket in California. The ticket is for speeding 5mph over the limit on a highway.

i have the option to do traffic school for the ticket. is this necessary since the ticket is not from Florida? Will any points from california affect my insurance?
      08-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Was it actually 5 MPH over the limit, or were you in fact going faster and the cop just gave you a break (no points) by citing you for 5 over?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Was it actually 5 MPH over the limit, or were you in fact going faster and the cop just gave you a break (no points) by citing you for 5 over?
was going faster, but the officer cut me a break. does a ticket for 5mph over have no points in ca? from what i've read, i thought it would be a 1 point violation.

from what i read, both fl and ca are part of some data sharing program.
      08-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
was going faster, but the officer cut me a break. does a ticket for 5mph over have no points in ca? from what i've read, i thought it would be a 1 point violation.

from what i read, both fl and ca are part of some data sharing program.
Oh I guess California is different from Texas. In Texas, when an officer cuts you a break by saying you only went 5 over the limit, he really just wants the money but a 5 over citation won't add any points to your record.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I like Texas. You can go 10-15 over and the police still won't pull you over...unless it's getting towards the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Just pay it. It's unlikely that FL or your insurance company will find out.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
I like Texas. You can go 10-15 over and the police still won't pull you over...unless it's getting towards the end of the month.
He already stated that he was going faster than that but the cop cut him a break.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Nah, no need for school. Got a ticket in cali and just paid it off. No points off my license.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
He already stated that he was going faster than that but the cop cut him a break.
He only said that he went more than 5 over. I'm just saying that you usually don't get pulled over for going 10-15 mph over the limit here.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the answers.

I'm not complaining about the ticket. The cop was very lenient in giving just 5 over. It was a long straight stretch approaching the border of Arizona so I was booking it. Surprisingly the cop was driving the opposite direction and still managed to catch up. He must have been hauling ass. I think he appreciated that I honestly answered how fast I was going.
      08-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

It'll show up if it gave you points, which I really doubt. I have a VA license, and got a 6pt ticket in NY. It showed on my license shortly after, and VA is a pretty stupid/slow state as it is.
      08-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman
VA is also a stone's throw away from NY. Neighbooring states seem to better at complying with reciprocity. But in the OP's case clear across the country, doubt it.
You'd have to have quite an arm to throw a stone from NY to VA.

OP, unfortunately I think people are giving you misleading advice. In general, if you get a ticket out of state that would be considered a point violation in your home state, you will be assessed the points if they find out. This is due to the Interstate Drivers License pact.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

The only states that are not party to this agreement are Georgia, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Tennessee.

From FL gov website:

If I get a ticket in another state, will I receive points on my Florida driving record?

Yes, if the violation is an offense that earns points in Florida. For example, if you get a speeding ticket for going 14 miles above the speed limit outside Florida, you will earn 3 points on your Florida record. It does not matter how many points the other states would assess against their drivers-Florida treats this as though the ticket was received in Florida.

As far as how many points, it looks like it could be up to 3:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/teendriv.html#points

I had this happen for a FL ticket while living in NJ. It took awhile, but they found out. You may want to reconsider how to proceed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Yeah just do traffic school since that's an option available to you.

12 points in 18 months will result in a suspension. Looks like this violation is worth 3 points.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/point-system.php
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium3er View Post
You'd have to have quite an arm to throw a stone from NY to VA.

OP, unfortunately I think people are giving you misleading advice. In general, if you get a ticket out of state that would be considered a point violation in your home state, you will be assessed the points if they find out. This is due to the Interstate Drivers License pact.
Agreed. I've had licenses in 4 different states and received tickets in many more.

Things have changed a lot over the last 10-20 years. 15 years ago OH didn't notify other states if you paid the ticket. That one never showed up on my driving record but it made it onto my ins when it got renewed 6 mo later. Same happened in PA. More recently an OH ticket bit my sister on her NY license.

Also, what gets you out of a ticket in one state may not apply the same way in your home state.

If the traffic school makes it go away and FL recognizes that, then I'd do it. If FL doesn't recognize it, get a lawyer in CA to make it go away.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
as the title says, i received a ticket while out of my home state. I live in FL, and received a ticket in California. The ticket is for speeding 5mph over the limit on a highway.

i have the option to do traffic school for the ticket. is this necessary since the ticket is not from Florida? Will any points from california affect my insurance?
Depends on your state.

I got a ticket in Arkansas for going 2 over the speed limit on the freeway (I have a California DL and resident there). The cop told me to just mail it in to the court. It was like $72. I then asked if this would go on my driving record back home in California and he said it would not because they do not have a system like California or one that can report it. So I paid the fine and drove off. Never went back to the state. I looked at my driving record years later and nothing from Arkansas on it AND California DMV told me they have no record ever of a speeding ticket from Arkansas.

We also just had last December Maine State Police come visit and I asked a similar question if someone got caught speeding and say they were from California what would happen. State trooper said you would pay the fine or appear in court and explain why you were speeding but it WOULD NOT be reported to California DMV.

So I have two clear cases where they couldn't or wont bother to report it to California.

Other folks here say they could. I believe they could.

Last edited by Endless619; 08-06-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0