BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #23
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

135i TT: thanks for all the input and I'm sorry to hear that you knew someone who was directly involved. I hope that everything has or is working out for you and their family.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #24
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Of course dude, a lot of my family lives in Mexico and I do love the country but even people who live there are scared.. and thanks man... my parents havent told me anything lately about that person but last time I heard them talk bout it it had been a few days since he was kidnapped and they were still looking for him... I try not to ask much about it bc it is a sensative subject.. but thanks again and I hope yall make the right decision..

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

anyone else have any input?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
How ironic...This was forwarded me by a friend yesterday. He has a college age kid and did not allow him to go there this year.

=========================================

-----Original Message-----
From: Office of the VP for Student Affairs <mx-vpsa@saclink.csus.edu>
To: csus-students-everyone <csus-students-everyone@saclink.csus.edu>
Sent: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:28 am
Subject: Mexico Travel Alert

To all students,

Due to escalating crime and violence in Mexico, the U.S. Department of State on Feb. 20 issued a Travel Alert warning. Although thousands of people travel to Mexico every day for study, tourism or business, Sacramento State recommends that students do not travel to Mexico during spring break. If you must to travel to Mexico at any other time in the near future, we strongly encourage you to be alert to safety and security concerns, especially when visiting the border region.

Please read excerpts of the Travel Alert (below) and visit travel.state.gov regularly for updates.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lori Varlotta
Vice President for Student Affairs

TRAVEL ALERT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Mexico
February 20, 2009

While millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year, violence in the country has increased recently. It is imperative that travelers understand the risks of travel to Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and whom to contact if one becomes a crime victim. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where prostitution and drug dealing might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

Crime and Violence Throughout Mexico

The greatest increase in violence has occurred near the U.S. border. However, U.S. citizens traveling throughout Mexico should exercise caution in unfamiliar areas and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Mexican and foreign bystanders have been injured or killed in violent attacks in cities across the country, demonstrating the heightened risk of violence in public places. In recent years, dozens of U.S. citizens have been kidnapped across Mexico.

Violence Along the U.S. - Mexico Border

Mexican drug cartels are engaged in an increasingly violent conflict - both among themselves and with Mexican security services - for control of narcotics trafficking routes along the U.S.-Mexico border. Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades. Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez. The situation in northern Mexico remains fluid; the location and timing of future armed engagements cannot be predicted.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
I was actually thinking of that the other day. Then yesterday I went and saw Taken. Good movie but the wrong thing to see with the gf about to go out of the country for a week.
Go show her taken. Problem solved.
      03-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #28
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Go show her taken. Problem solved.
haha, I tried and she refused. based on most of the things we've been reading though, I'm pretty sure she's not going now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #29
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

just tell her to bring some drugs, and i'm sure the cartel would love to have her as their new family member.

Stay away from Mexico right now/
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #30
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

just to give you an idea of how bright some college girls are . . . when she confronted her friends about not going, their solution was to have one of them be sober each night to look after the other 6. First off not one of them could stay sober for the night, secondly, wtf are you going to do if somebody just grabs your friend and throws them in their car and drives off. That was their solution to staying safe. Good effing plan
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #31
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Alright so thanks everyone for your input. It has been greatly appreciated. Luckily she has decided not to go. . . Finally I found a smart girl!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #32
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Stay in the US and head as south as possible. Will be way safer and support the local economy there.

Glad she made a smart choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #33
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Im glad she made a good decision..

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #34
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I was planning on going with a few friends through SWAT. At this point, fuck that. I kind of feel the need to go to make sure some friends are safe.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #35
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
I was planning on going with a few friends through SWAT. At this point, fuck that. I kind of feel the need to go to make sure some friends are safe.
Not like its news to you but I was doing searches this morning and found some articles about kidnappings in Cancun. Conveniently enough, the articles had already been taken down (After being posted this morning).

Be safe out there everyone
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #36
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
Not like its news to you but I was doing searches this morning and found some articles about kidnappings in Cancun. Conveniently enough, the articles had already been taken down (After being posted this morning).

Be safe out there everyone
Tell her to go to South Florida, not worth losing your life over getting smashed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #37
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I don't know about Cancun but I would stay away from TJ or Juarez. In January there were 210 killings just in Juarez, most of them executions.
      03-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #38
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

I wouldn't venture down there... the end

I had a friend that did EP work (executive protection), he was always with clients in Mexico City and packing while riding around with "re-enforced" vehicles for protection purposes.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0