BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7741
Rep
7,314
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
In 2016, there were 10.7 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., or less than 3.5 percent of the nation's population. This represents a significant decrease (13%) from the 12.2 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. in 2007, and is the lowest total since 2004.
Let's rebuild our roads.
You seem to be new around here, so I'll ask again: Where do these numbers come from, if we can't track the illegals in the country?

All the ones I know personally, with the exception of one who passed on, are still here.

And I paid out of my own pocket for her funeral, and regularly bought cases of Ensure the last couple of years when that was all she could really "eat." Payment in kind for the services rendered whenever I or the boys had some issue and needed tissue/bone manipulation. I still sometimes shudder when I think of the amount of pressure a woman upwards of 80 could apply to my aching back
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #24
insanecoder
Brigadier General
1338
Rep
3,204
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Walls are immoral

https://davidharrisjr.com/politics/p...all-in-jordan/

Anything wrong with this picture?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #25
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1835
Rep
4,318
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Can't we get the MIC to give up some worthless F35s or something, build the damned wall, and get this shit show moving again?
No...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #26
******
Banned
United_States
2033
Rep
1,689
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
No...
Ah, you edited that..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
AnOldBiker
Private First Class
AnOldBiker's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive 30i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

We do send money to Mexico, Obama sent mountains to them to drill for their oil so we could buy it, thus not using ours. Recently, in Obamas era, same with Brazil.

We support more countries than any other individual country. Stop this and we could build a wall around every states border in a just a few years, paid in full.

I seen on the news we spend over 150 billion on illegals, and the wall, even at 25 billion would drop this a lot. That alone would save enough in the long run and pay for the wall.

And as for our infrastructure, if they spend the tax money collected for that instead of everything else, we'd be good to go. California did it wrong for years, then Brown admitted to it and had increase state fuel taxes so they can fix the roads and all the other handouts.
__________________
______

Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #28
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
1802
Rep
2,244
Posts

Drives: Yaz M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

yawwnn.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #29
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1540
Rep
4,301
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Might want to research ‘omnibus bill’ because like most conservative news stories the implication is false.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #30
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5186
Rep
5,653
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
No...
Fair enough. Just print the money then and add it to the monumental mountain of money this country is never going to pay back anyway?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #31
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
11735
Rep
3,281
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ok, so I'm just spreading rumours here, because I haven't looked it up.

Rumour has it, US provides assistance to Mexico on an annual basis...is that true? Because someone I know and respect told me that, and that effectively, his suspicion is that Trump will just cancel these assistance payments indefinitely and therefore the wall will be built indirectly using money that would have otherwise gone to Mexico.

But I don't know if that's true...

According the the US Government website and confirmed by USA Today, the US gives Mexico about $240 Million a year in aid.

https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/MEX

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...fire/97103024/
__________________
Nou gaan ons braai!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8833
Rep
21,906
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
Valid point but we need to move forward on it.

I would rather my tax dollars go to that then funding programs for illegal aliens. I reckon many others feel the same way.
Concur
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
8833
Rep
21,906
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Just show their houses with gated community and ask them to explain again.
Appreciate 4
Torgus1872.50
MKSixer14469.50
N54Yankee1400.50

      01-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #34
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
1835
Rep
4,318
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
No...
Fair enough. Just print the money then and add it to the monumental mountain of money this country is never going to pay back anyway?
Sure, why not. We don't have any fiscal conservatives left in power anyways.
Appreciate 4
Run Silent11734.50
minn195684.00
de Witt18.00

      01-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #35
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
3623
Rep
3,161
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
According the the US Government website and confirmed by USA Today, the US gives Mexico about $240 Million a year in aid.

https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/MEX

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...fire/97103024/


In ~24 years we could start building the wall ($5.7B) if we stopped paying Mexico aid this year, if my calculator worked right.

That's ignoring the fact that we could stop paying Mexico that aid money regardless of whether there is a wall or not, so it's not really analogous to "Mexico paying for it".
Appreciate 1
******2033.00

      01-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #36
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
///M4ster Yoda's Avatar
2857
Rep
3,433
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ha ha ha - oh at least he gives me a laugh. But assuming he is back in 2020, I suspect this type of behaviour will come back to bite him, and he's going to have a very short term memory about him pulling these types of stunts and will complain that it isn't fair.

Right now, I suspect people don't really know how to handle him, and so he has the upper hand. That will only be for a limited time though.

While I disagree with the wall as contemplated, I do enjoy seeing him make the other politicians squirm.
Ummm. He's been in office for 2 years. If they haven't figure out by now how to handle (deal) with him they never will.

Mr Orange is a real piece of work but these are the types of situations that helped him get elected. This is exactly what the people that voted for him want to see.

This whole custerfuck helps Trump and hurts Schulosi.

Schulosi will give in at some point. Mark my words
__________________
'03 330 '04 325 '08 328 '11 335 '11 335is
'14 335 '16 340 '16 M4 (Retired)
4 ED's 1 PCD
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14469.50

      01-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #37
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1540
Rep
4,301
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Just show their houses with gated community and ask them to explain again.
Yeah, ask the Chinese.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #38
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
UglyBuzzard's Avatar
United_States
4173
Rep
1,924
Posts

Drives: Use to be a X5 50i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Yeah, ask the Chinese.
They only know their SS#'s.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #39
******
Banned
United_States
2033
Rep
1,689
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
In ~24 years we could start building the wall ($5.7B) if we stopped paying Mexico aid this year, if my calculator worked right.

That's ignoring the fact that we could stop paying Mexico that aid money regardless of whether there is a wall or not, so it's not really analogous to "Mexico paying for it".
Ah, you’re well schooled in financial analysis... cool... I did that for a living some years back.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #40
xQx
General
Australia
852
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

So I don't offend or get into a fight over the following questions, here's where I stand on the issue of the wall: I think the free migration of people across borders is a good thing. I don't think the life of a US citizen is more important than that of a Mexican, and I think western countries should increase their migrant intake. BUT. I believe countries have the right to determine who comes in and who stays. Controlling the flow of people and goods at borders is a critical component to a controlling who comes in and who stays. I believe that every illegal migrant allowed in causes one legal, deserving migrant to be denied access in the long term. Finally, if people are running from starvation or death the only thing that will stop them from doing anything they can to enter a country is an iron-clad guarantee that it's either not worth the effort (ie. not possible), or going to lead to something as bad or worse than starvation and death.

Therefore, even though I'm a bleeding-heart lefty when it comes to immigration policy; I'm further to the right than Trump when it comes to enforcing immigration control.

So, with that out of the way, I have some questions:
1) Has it been established that a wall is the best long-term value-for-money solution? Wouldn't a fence be much cheaper and do the same job?
2) How is Trump defending the government shut down over wall funding, when his pre-election promise was "Mexico will pay for it"?
3) Is the government suggesting corresponding immigration policy to efficiently and effectively kick out any illegal immigrants who are in already, or who manage to get past the wall?

Legitimately asking to learn, not having a go at the Administration.

Last edited by xQx; 01-09-2019 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: fixed an accidental double negative
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #41
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5186
Rep
5,653
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I think the free migration of people across borders is a good thing. I don't think the life of a US citizen is more important than that of a Mexican, and I think western countries should increase their migrant intake.
Good lord....

1. If you think "free migration" of people is a good thing, why stop there? Why not allow anybody in here at anytime for free medical care, schooling, and the opportunity to vote. Hell just set up train lines to ram people in here anytime they need something to be paid on the US taxpayer dime, then ship em back. Fantastic idea.

2. The lives of my American family are more important than every Mexican sitting across that border to me. Same goes for you.

3. How noble of you to volunteer that all western countries increase their migrant intake. Thank you for using my tax money, my labor, and my culture for your own means so that you can feel better about yourself. What a noble progressive you are.

Didn't read the rest of the crap after this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #42
xQx
General
Australia
852
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Good lord....

Didn't read the rest of the crap after this.
Perhaps you should, because I went on to say that even though I'm obviously approaching this issue from as massively different viewpoint than yours, I (probably) still agree with you on the fact that America should build a wall (or some kind of barrier) along its border, and harden up its immigration policy so you 1)stop the flow of queue-jumping illegal migrants, and 2) kick out all the existing queue-jumpers, and sufficiently punish them and the people who've supported them (eg. landlords and employers) such that they never try to come back.

Edit: While I really think it's pointless me and you discussing our views on immigration policy because I'm doubtful it's going to remain constructive, I do feel I owe you an answer to your questions.
1) Simply because somebody is inside your country doesn't make them entitled to your social services. Australia and the USA allow virtually unlimited amount of EU tourists to come into the country on tourist visas, but it doesn't automatically make them a drain on your taxpayer dollars. Our lives have become much richer as a result of the free trade of goods between countries; and the free migration of citizens between EU countries hasn't resulted in massive internal migration from countries with small social security benefits to those with large social security benefits. Personally, I don't believe the mantra that countries will go broke or be overrun by crime and terrorists if they allow more migrants. America and Australia are the countries that they are today because of migrants. I'm sure you disagree, so lets move on

2) Yeah, the lives of my family to me are more important to me than the lives of every stinking Indonesian. But frankly, the life of a child born into a white trash family inside australia who's lived off benefits for three generations and has near-zero chances of improving its station in life is worth far less to me than that of a Chinese national who's willing to leave everything behind and come to Australia to start a dry cleaning shop.

3) Thanks.

Last edited by xQx; 01-09-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Jockey1834.50

      01-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #43
adc100
Major
911
Rep
1,125
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
In 2016, there were 10.7 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., or less than 3.5 percent of the nation's population. This represents a significant decrease (13%) from the 12.2 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. in 2007, and is the lowest total since 2004.
Let's rebuild our roads.
lol. I knew as soon as soon as you said "only" what your lying post would be.

You have to have a documented IQ score of 75 or greater to post on this board. Read the forum rules. It tells you where to send that info.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #44
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5186
Rep
5,653
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Perhaps you should, because I went on to say that even though I'm obviously approaching this issue from as massively different viewpoint than yours, I (probably) still agree with you on the fact that America should build a wall (or some kind of barrier) along its border, and harden up its immigration policy so you 1)stop the flow of queue-jumping illegal migrants, and 2) kick out all the existing queue-jumpers, and sufficiently punish them and the people who've supported them (eg. landlords and employers) such that they never try to come back.
What you wrote there has no correlation at all with what I was responding to originally. If you think "free migration" is a good thing, everything you wrote above was probably just written to make it sound like you're impartial on the issue and willing to look at it from both sides. Free means free, no walls, no checks, no balances, NOTHING. Everybody in the world can come and go as they please. That is completely insane.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST