BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

02-01-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
Brophy92
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series M Sport 320D (2015)

3 Series Windscreen (F30)

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to say I'm new here

I bought my car in June of last year, its my dream car! Worked hard to get it and paid cash for it at Arnold Clark. Before they had the car, I checked the MOT etc on the MOT I saw that it has a crack in the windscreen, just an advisory. Nothing major, but it's still a crack.

Went to Arnold Clark, checked over the car. Few problems which were fixed, but when it came to the crack in the windscreen. I asked Arnold Clark to fix it for me as I could see it and be told I would get a message from the manager. A few days later I get a few text messages from the Manager which still have the messages.

To say, "Sorry about the glass, I thought we would of fixed it as it passed MOT without any advisory's but we don't have the facility here to get it fixed. Only the garage we had to car transported from but my advice is go through insurance as it wont effect your no claims"

So I did and they got National Windscreens out to me today. Nice bloke called Mark, he was straight up with me and said "cant fix it mate, they did a bodge job with tiny bit of resin and UV light. It hasnt actually gone into the crack only sealing the top of it. If I have to get the resin out id have a big risk of completely cracking your windscreen. It would have to be a brand new one. But problem is, It wont have the BMW stamp and I'm pretty sure your insurance wont cover an official BMW stamped glass you would get an aftermarket glass which is the same strength and quality, but it could devalue the car abit if you do come to sell it."

So I'm asking what should I do? The crack isn't massive, probably the size of my pinky finger nail and its on the passenger side. So should i ignore it? Just wait for it to completely crack and get an aftermarket one or get an original?

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts!

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
HondaRC51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi

Garage List
2009 335xi E92  [0.00]
2016 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
I have never heard of an aftermarket windshield decreasing the value of a vehicle. I'd ask your insurance first before you make a claim for a new windshield just to see if it will increase your rates or not. Personally I'd let it go until it cracks all the way or fails any type of inspection but that's just me
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
Brophy92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaRC51 View Post
I have never heard of an aftermarket windshield decreasing the value of a vehicle. I'd ask your insurance first before you make a claim for a new windshield just to see if it will increase your rates or not. Personally I'd let it go until it cracks all the way or fails any type of inspection but that's just me
Thank you for your reply! Yeah I've never heard of it before but I think hes saying it because something like that could happen? He did say, you get people out there who will look for "official stamps". Me personally, I didn't when I was buying the car lol. My insurance is brilliant, nothing will change on the policy and I will not lose my no-claims bonus. I just have to pay for the excess of the glass which is £25 per crack or £115 for a brand new windscreen.

I'm in no need to get in changed. I just thought it would be a good idea to get it filled at this moment in time before anything did happen as my MOT is coming up in the next few month. I'll probably just leave it for the time being and speak to my insurance on any possibility of getting an Original BMW windscreen but I highly doubt it lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Congratulations on getting the car you have been wanting.

If it is bothering you, replace it with the aftermarket one. But I would wait until you see if it will pass the MOT and carry on.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2023, 05:23 AM   #5
Brophy92
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono63 View Post
Congratulations on getting the car you have been wanting.

If it is bothering you, replace it with the aftermarket one. But I would wait until you see if it will pass the MOT and carry on.

Cheers
Yeah, I might just leave it for the time being.
It's not in my line of sight, its all good. Thank you for your comment, I do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0