BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #45
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Coming soon: the same thing for college sports. I hope not but I think so.
That's my fear too.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      12-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #46
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
- Speeding in Utah: officer thought I was kidnapping my girlfriend
- Skiing: tried it once back in 5th grade, hated it plain and simple
- Roommates: Had one or more every year in college, and I promised myself I would NEVER have roommates once I graduated (and so far I am very proud to have kept my word)
- Flying with Lufthansa: The few times I had no choice in which airline i fly with, was pretty terrible. A close second would be United
Roomates is a good one. I moved in with 3 of my best friends after our freshman year of college into a 4 bedroom apartment. We were all looking forward to it all summer...thought it was going to be amazing.

Until you live with your friends - you really have no idea about them on a personal level. It could either be amazing or turn into a complete disaster.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10142.50
      12-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #47
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Taking powerful hallucinogens and going to Great America and King Richard’s Fair in the same day. To this day I’m still terrified of roller coasters and giant turkey legs.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 4
wrickem2101.00
RickFLM410968.00
wdb4718.00
Tommy-G4484.50
      12-30-2022, 10:13 PM   #48
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Ha ha, this is a comical thread. So many of these things resonate (or don’t I should say) with me. Camping, Vegas, Disney, Halloween, the Zoo. No thanks.

For those who don’t like cruises, or those on the fence, I will say that an exception might be an Alaska Cruise. Very different vibe. I really enjoyed it, whereas I would not want to go on a more traditional cruise to some tropical destination.

I’ll add to the list the following:

Buying a hot tub.

You’ll use it a lot at first, then less, then less, then less … then you’ll wonder why you bought it.
Appreciate 4
ASAP10142.50
translux479.50
wdb4718.00
      12-31-2022, 02:29 AM   #49
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

There’s no doubt that learning to ski has a steep and painful learning curve. But once you master it it’s magical.
I will say that learning to ski at an early age of 10 years old in the Midwest on ice was definitely a plus.
The first time I went to Colorado and skied on real snow was a revelation!
Today at 54 years old skiing on the green and blue runs of Aspen is essentially effortless.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3131.50
      12-31-2022, 04:23 AM   #50
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Marijuana has been hit or miss for me. If I'm alone I don't care for it at all unless I want a sleep aid, just makes me super sleepy. Now I've also had it with friend where it makes everything hilarious and just made the whole thing better, however more often it seems to be the sleepy version.

#6 for me is the total opposite. Would never go back to a regular job. In fact I try to save as much as I can and put myself in a position where if something happens to my business and I have to shut it down or something I can just retire or at least not have to go back to a regular job until I can start up some other business. That being said my business is me and it's online so I don't have to deal with a lot of the bs I'm sure comes with other businesses like having staff, offices/stores etc.
I think a large part of the problem for me to run a business is that I'm NOT a businessman. Not at all. I can do the work, but all the marketing, accounts, etc etc...cannot do.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 04:26 AM   #51
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ok, I have to ask but did you go camping for 2 years....or are you living in a van down by the river? /Chris Farley

Don't kill me
I saved some money when I started my business

Left the business in the hands of my business partner 7 years later - it still wasn't turning over enough to make a liveable salary. More of a passion project.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 04:30 AM   #52
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yup I went on a camping road trip in the mountains, my GF at the time convinced me that a tent with a "sleeping pad" would be good enough. What a heck of a time that was. We did about 2000 miles. I got about 2 hours sleep each night. One night it poured and I had just gotten my E90, let me tell you it isn't comfortable to sleep in. The last night I said nope we are getting a hotel. I can laugh about it now, but it was hard to enjoy the nice driving roads on zero sleep and a stiff back.
I occasionally sleep in the back of my e91 now. Did it a few weeks ago in -8degC Not the best sleep, but as an occasional thing it's grand. Saves getting an Airbnb or whatever.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 04:32 AM   #53
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
There’s no doubt that learning to ski has a steep and painful learning curve. But once you master it it’s magical.
I will say that learning to ski at an early age of 10 years old in the Midwest on ice was definitely a plus.
Today at 54 years old skiing on the green and blue runs of Aspen is essentially effortless.
I tried skiing once. Was in a small group of learners, on a slope that was pretty much flat... Really wish someone had just taken me to the top of the mountain and given me a shove
Appreciate 1
Buug95917361.50
      12-31-2022, 07:48 AM   #54
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This resonates w me as I'm still a 'cruise virgin' and dunno if I should do it eventually or just stay uninitiated, many questions like what should be the time for port calls and time on the ship, where to spend time, etc. Any more opinions?
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't ever try cruises, I'm saying it's not for me. You may love it and it really depends on the cruise itinerary. The cruise I took was in port quite early each morning and traveled between ports overnight. Because of the overnight sailing everyone had to be back on board by 6pm which meant you missed any opportunity to experience the local nightlife.
The first couple of nights on the ship were interesting as there was some exploring to do but that didn't last long. The rest of the time on the ship was like being trapped in a nice hotel.
I did enjoy the limited time I spent in the ports and I have some wonderful stories and memories from each one. That brings up another opinion I have regarding cruises, avoid the shore excursions. They are , in my opinion, overpriced and too restrictive, for me anyway. I like to explore at my own pace, not be ushered along following some pink and yellow umbrella through a jumble of 15 or 20 other excursion groups following their own particular colour of umbrella, flag or stick held in the air. Most of my favourite experiences while travelling have been well off the regular tourist tracks, sometimes in some pretty sketchy areas (Budapest, I'm talking about you ), places an excursion would never go.
As far as ports of call, that really depends on you. Pick an area you are interested in and research the cruise lines that offer cruises in that area. Cruises can be a good way to sample a number of different places you think you might want to spend more time at on a dedicated trip in the future. The cruise I chose departed from Venice, Italy with stops at Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu and Split, Croatia and then a long day sailing back to Venice. I arrived in Venice a couple of days before the cruise departure so I could spend some time there. Venice was ok but I really enjoyed getting out to Murano and Burano. Of the ports of call, I would definitely go back to spend more time a Mykonos and Split and maybe Athens.
Ok, I've rambled on enough. I hope this gives you some more to think about and if you think you want to try a cruise, then by all means, try a cruise. You may love it... or not. But it will be an experience either way.
      12-31-2022, 08:32 AM   #55
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I tried skiing once. Was in a small group of learners, on a slope that was pretty much flat... Really wish someone had just taken me to the top of the mountain and given me a shove
I had the same experience with the exception that after a couple of bunny slope runs, someone took me halfway to the top and sent me down on my own.

Suffice to say, that didn't work out too well. As always, however, YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 09:36 AM   #56
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Key West/the keys. So many people raved about how great it was. I’ve been 3 times (moved along the keys) and just don’t love it. Don’t ever have to go back again.
I had a bucket list item to drive US 1 from the mainland to Key West. So we did. Bought an E93, took it to FL on the Auto Train, drove to Key West. The drive down is pretty much a miserable thing; most of it is very built up and very busy, and of course there is only one road and so it is full of trucks. Once we got far enough south it got better, but overall it was definitely not what I imagined it would be.

We liked Key West very much though. Stayed in some old part of town in a little place recommended by friends. Car never moved the entire time we were there, everything was on foot. Would do that again.

Thing I thought would be neat but was the opposite: Cass Scenic Railroad. https://mountainrailwv.com/tour/cassscenicrailroad/ We did it with a group of fellow Z enthusiasts, so that part was good. The history of the place is absolutely jaw dropping; for example, before they cut down every single tree for miles in every direction, the forest was so old and dense that it never warmed up down on the ground even in the middle of summer. You couldn't dig a hole because the ground was always frozen. But the train ride itself was pure misery. Coal fired locomotive pouring soot out of its stack and down onto the passengers, soot and little gritty black particles everywhere, for hours on end. Took us an age to get clean back at the hotel. I still cough just thinking about it.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917361.50
rebekahb3131.50
      12-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #57
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I had the same experience with the exception that after a couple of bunny slope runs, someone took me halfway to the top and sent me down on my own.

Suffice to say, that didn't work out too well. As always, however, YMMV.
Yeah, probably a 'grass is always greener' situation for me. I guess I just wanted to feel feedback from leaning to turn etc. Zero interest in french fries/pizza. I felt like I needed speed to get that, but chances are I'd eat sh1t before I even got up to speed. I'll stick to my bike, I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 10:37 AM   #58
Kowalski2011
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 135i-11E93-M3-01 Z3-91 M5

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [9.38]
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i  [8.50]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Many things are 'one and done' for me. Mexico, Vegas, Jello Shots. Hell I'll try anything once.

I grew up skiing, lucky to learn how to fall at an early age. I raised my youngest daughter in FL and HI, so surfing translated to snowboarding for her when we moved to the mid-west. However, the last time I visited her in Reno I convinced her to try skiing at Heavenly. Now she skis about half the time. I never could get the hang of snowboarding though I tried, so I don't waste my time on that. And since then I've had the pleasure of teaching my grand-daughter to ski, with another now just reaching that age. Skiing makes for great family memories.
Appreciate 1
translux479.50
      12-31-2022, 01:08 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
I've been 'scarred' indirectly cuz almost every. single. time we come back from Xmas break, there would be some classmate w a scary leg cast in traction. I mean, I took classes when I was a kid but it didn't stick and get me excited like some of you guys. I would be alright w cross-country but I wonder if it's worth it to go on an outing just for that. It's unfortunately, I love the romantic idea of just cozying up next to the fireplace in some snowy chalet by the hills after a day of skiiing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I saved some money when I started my business

Left the business in the hands of my business partner 7 years later - it still wasn't turning over enough to make a liveable salary. More of a passion project.
Well, at least you took your shot and did something for your passion, and not for the almighty dollar...very few ppl get to do this and they just live and die like drones, so it's admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't ever try cruises, I'm saying it's not for me. You may love it and it really depends on the cruise itinerary. The cruise I took was in port quite early each morning and traveled between ports overnight. Because of the overnight sailing everyone had to be back on board by 6pm which meant you missed any opportunity to experience the local nightlife.
The first couple of nights on the ship were interesting as there was some exploring to do but that didn't last long. The rest of the time on the ship was like being trapped in a nice hotel.
I did enjoy the limited time I spent in the ports and I have some wonderful stories and memories from each one. That brings up another opinion I have regarding cruises, avoid the shore excursions. They are , in my opinion, overpriced and too restrictive, for me anyway. I like to explore at my own pace, not be ushered along following some pink and yellow umbrella through a jumble of 15 or 20 other excursion groups following their own particular colour of umbrella, flag or stick held in the air. Most of my favourite experiences while travelling have been well off the regular tourist tracks, sometimes in some pretty sketchy areas (Budapest, I'm talking about you ), places an excursion would never go.
As far as ports of call, that really depends on you. Pick an area you are interested in and research the cruise lines that offer cruises in that area. Cruises can be a good way to sample a number of different places you think you might want to spend more time at on a dedicated trip in the future. The cruise I chose departed from Venice, Italy with stops at Athens, Mykonos, Katakolon, Corfu and Split, Croatia and then a long day sailing back to Venice. I arrived in Venice a couple of days before the cruise departure so I could spend some time there. Venice was ok but I really enjoyed getting out to Murano and Burano. Of the ports of call, I would definitely go back to spend more time a Mykonos and Split and maybe Athens.
Ok, I've rambled on enough. I hope this gives you some more to think about and if you think you want to try a cruise, then by all means, try a cruise. You may love it... or not. But it will be an experience either way.
Wow, tx very much for your description and recounting your experiences. I definitely need to try it at least once, seems like a great idea to hit a bunch of cities to see if I wanna explore more in the future, like you said.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 01:15 PM   #60
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Key West/the keys. So many people raved about how great it was. I’ve been 3 times (moved along the keys) and just don’t love it. Don’t ever have to go back again.
there is nothing to do in they keys especially key west after like 3 days... its like being on an island but with only 1 way off and that island is tiny
rebekahb3131.50
      12-31-2022, 01:27 PM   #61
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
there is nothing to do in they keys especially key west after like 3 days... its like being on an island but with only 1 way off and that island is tiny
Fishing and diving / snorkeling for those that like those activities. Drinking and vomiting for everyone else. So something for everyone.

I did catch my sailfish in Key West in the mid-1990's. Still on my wall. Now, that was a great trip. Best time I've had in the Keys.

3 days is my max down there too and it has been at least 10 years since I've made the trip down. The drive has some nice views that I can't really see because I'm driving and trying to avoid head on collisions. Ride sucks overall.
      12-31-2022, 02:06 PM   #62
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski2011 View Post
Many things are 'one and done' for me. Mexico, Vegas, Jello Shots. Hell I'll try anything once....
I'll second Mexico & Vegas and add San Francisco, Portland (OR), and Seattle to that list.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5060.50
      12-31-2022, 02:07 PM   #63
phoenx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3, Tacoma, GT4 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Vacations with small children
I have a younger brother that I took traveling with me a few times. We did El Salvador, Iceland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy between age 9-12 and it was pretty fun! I was around 25-29. Now would I take my own kids specially when they're little ones, hell no .
Appreciate 1
wtwo317962.00
      12-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #64
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenx View Post
I have a younger brother that I took traveling with me a few times. We did El Salvador, Iceland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy between age 9-12 and it was pretty fun! I was around 25-29. Now would I take my own kids specially when they're little ones, hell no .
Yeah I'm excited for my kids to be older... 9 and 12 are great ages. But currently my daughter is 5 years old and my son is 8 months old... and we haven't had a fun vacation in over 5 years all of our vacations since my daughter's been born have just been more stress than the trip is worth.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 02:21 PM   #65
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Yeah I'm excited for my kids to be older... 9 and 12 are great ages. But currently my daughter is 5 years old and my son is 8 months old... and we haven't had a fun vacation in over 5 years all of our vacations since my daughter's been born have just been more stress than the trip is worth.
I grew up taking driving vacations and I continued the tradition with my kids. We took our 9 month old and 9 year old on about a 3500 mile road trip to Canada one time. Our 9 month old was quite unhappy in her car seat for the 1st day or so. After that she was a happy camper. Both our kids liked the road trips, as long as we found something to interest them. Our granddaughter will be taking road trips with us when she's old enough.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317962.00
wdb4718.00
      12-31-2022, 03:10 PM   #66
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I grew up taking driving vacations and I continued the tradition with my kids. We took our 9 month old and 9 year old on about a 3500 mile road trip to Canada one time. Our 9 month old was quite unhappy in her car seat for the 1st day or so. After that she was a happy camper. Both our kids liked the road trips, as long as we found something to interest them. Our granddaughter will be taking road trips with us when she's old enough.
I absolutely love road trips... used to take them as a kid and would have loved to continue. My wife however has had road trips forever ruined by her parents. Their idea of a road trip was to drive through the night to get to their destination as fast as possible - it was all about the destination and never the journey. So she grew up absolutely hating the journey part of it. If it's any more than a 6 hour drive she needs to fly. It's a sad sad reality...

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Buug95917361.50