BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #133
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Yesterday, after deciding the bare metal backup wasn’t working, we installed server2008 from scratch, to get the drive bootable. THEN tried bare metal again. But since there were 2 indentical sized arrays, manually ejected the one I knew wasn’t needed. Bare metal worked! Reboot and put the drives back in, raid won’t import foreign, but also won’t let me put online. Fuck it just get going, just for log files

Boot, domain not recognized. OK, local admin. Password not recognized. OK, password reset CD, won’t write back give. Next pw reset CD finally resets. Remove/join domain, get the SQL tools, everything in pending rebuild. Search for ldr files, not even on disk
40,000+ evidence records, and the files are just gone. No chain of record, and now I will have to go to court for every case to explain

2 month of file level backups, no ldr files. Uni trends was telling me the full SQL backups completed, but details show bad user account, couldn’t connect to table. WTF, how is that completed????

Well, nothing can get worse, let’s just try a restore on one of those

-continued in Good day thread
      12-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #134
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Three weeks ago the battery on one of the Winter cars went kaput, no problem, the battery was from 2012. A week later the same car blew the upper rad hose, okay. A week later another car with a dead battery. OK, battery was from 2014.
This morning the 3rd winter car wouldn't start, guess what, battery was dead .. Battery was from 2016. Now I have 3 winter beaters all with new batteries
$1000.00+ for 3 batteries in less than a month.

Merry Xmas to me

Edit: Oh, and my wife just told me that the dryer stopped working yesterday, again ��.

Last edited by Dino GT; 12-24-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
Buug95916851.50
Esteban42251.50
      12-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #135
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Just noticed a dark spot on the living room ceiling. Further investigation found several such areas where the newly installed roof and gutters are obviously letting in moisture. The conditions have been extreme with bitter cold, high winds, and snow, but still, a new roof and gutters shouldn't be allowing moisture to gather enough to leave wet spots in the ceiling. Of course it's Christmas Eve, so I won't be able to call the roofer until Tuesday, probably.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35121.00
Buug95916851.50
Esteban42251.50
      12-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #136
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

This cold snap has shown that this house and my car are not ready for serious cold weather. The stains in the ceiling have disappeared, so maybe that was a one time thing due to the extreme cold and non-stop gale-force winds. But this morning Wifey and I went to head out to the store and my GLC300 wouldn't start. Yes, it's been sitting outside in this bitter cold for the past week. But still, the battery was obviously not up to snuff. I'm glad we're home at least and not coming back from a trip somewhere to find a dead car in the parking lot of some airport. Time for a new battery.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
Esteban42251.50
Buug95916851.50
      12-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #137
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This cold snap has shown that this house and my car are not ready for serious cold weather. The stains in the ceiling have disappeared, so maybe that was a one time thing due to the extreme cold and non-stop gale-force winds. But this morning Wifey and I went to head out to the store and my GLC300 wouldn't start. Yes, it's been sitting outside in this bitter cold for the past week. But still, the battery was obviously not up to snuff. I'm glad we're home at least and not coming back from a trip somewhere to find a dead car in the parking lot of some airport. Time for a new battery.
Welcome to the club
"Tis the season for dead batteries"
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #138
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Keep a tender connected when not in use over the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #139
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Turned out it wasn't the battery. Just a finicky starter button. I pulled off the button and used the key and it fired right up. Ran it around the block and then let it sit for an hour. Came back and tried again and it worked with and without the key. So all is good.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 5
Dino GT35121.00
Esteban42251.50
Buug95916851.50
Soul_Glo13297.50
      01-08-2023, 11:58 AM   #140
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

We haven't heard from vreihen16 in a couple of weeks. Hope he finally got his vacation.
      01-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #141
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
We haven't heard from vreihen16 in a couple of weeks. Hope he finally got his vacation.
I saw that you posted here and it got me worried!

Ok, hope that he and everyone else w a fml post is ok.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Esteban42251.50
      01-08-2023, 12:23 PM   #142
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I saw that you posted here and it got me worried!

Ok, hope that he and everyone else w a fml post is ok.
Thanks, I'm doing well. Hope you are too.

Was hoping that things are going good for vreihen16, considering his last post.
      01-08-2023, 12:29 PM   #143
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'm doing well. Hope you are too.

Was hoping that things are going good for vreihen16, considering his last couple of posts.
Ya, the poor guy definitely ran out of horseshoes and 4-leaf clovers for the moment.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
Esteban42251.50
vreihen1614907.50
      01-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #144
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, the poor guy definitely ran out of horseshoes and 4-leaf clovers for the moment.
Well since we haven't seen him on here for a bit I guess we should assume he finally got his vacation trip.
      01-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #145
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

TXSTYLE I cannot find your sneakers thread for the life of me to show off my new kicks. So fml I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:49 PM   #146
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

So my one and only employee just gave me notice that she's switching over to a bigger firm. I knew this could happen, and I knew I'm going to be in a tough spot if I can't get someone in time to replace her, but frick, it happened at a bad time where I'm just starting to get busy.

I was so close too, was going to be looking to hire a full time CPA in the summer/fall, and then I would have options in the event she leaves, but now I'm scrambling. At least she valued me enough that she gave me four weeks notice so I have some time to plan.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13297.50
      02-04-2023, 06:25 PM   #147
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Overnight last night (Friday) the forecast deep freeze arrived along with the high winds. Temperature dropped to -28c with the windchill making it feel like -39c. Pretty cold when you're not used to it but I had no reason to go out in it so no huge deal. Somewhere around 4am I woke to a sound I haven't heard since installing the heat pump a few years ago... the furnace was running. The heat pump just couldn't keep up with the cold. Again, no biggy. The real drama started when I got up at about 8am and discovered that my refrigerator was not working. It has a history of taking a long time to restart after a power outage, a couple or three hours usually, so I wasn't terribly concerned. That is until I checked my most sensitive clock and noticed that it had NOT reset meaning the power had not gone off overnight. Huh. I did some research and discovered that this particular model of refrigerator has a history of motherboard failure. More research turns up a popular diagnostic test and , sure enough, my fridge failed exactly as the test predicted. Still more research and I have the new motherboard ordered from Amazon ( arriving Tuesday ) for $270CDN. Meanwhile I have a fridge full of food that is no longer being refrigerated so I decide to go out and pick up a small fridge to use until the new motherboard arrives. I've been thinking about getting a little fridge for cold snacks for a while now so this seemed like the perfect time to get one. So now I have to go out ( did I mention the deep freeze and nasty windchill numbers?) and shop for a small fridge. This means moving the Golf which I park in front of my truck. It's cold but the Golf fires up reluctantly. My truck doesn't realize that it's cold and starts like the champ it is. Off I go but before I start looking for a fridge I stop to eat. After filling my belly I hop back in the truck and turn the key. I know what you're thinking, it won't crank. Nope. It spins over just fine but it doesn't start. WTF? I try again. Still doesn't start. I swear under my breath and pull the key out, wait a few seconds, put the key back in, turn it on and wait a few seconds then crank it. It fires up like nothing was wrong. SMH. That's a little disconcerting but it's running fine so I brush it off.
Off I go in search of a fridge. My first stop is Home Depot. Turns out it was a good choice because I found a great little fridge for under $400 Canadian pesos. Sold! I pay and take it out and load it on my truck. Finally things are starting to turn around...Nope. My truck won't start, won't even attempt to turn over. I pop the hood and look for anything obvious like loose battery cables etc. All looks good. I try jump starting it even though I'm not convinced the battery is the problem, dash lights, headlights, stereo, wipers all work perfectly. Once again it feels like -39c in the wind and I'm in the middle of the Home Depot parking lot pointed directly into the frigid gale. I climb back in to the truck out of the wind.
I'm sitting there wondering what my next move is when I remember that I have CAA. Woo Hoo! I dig out the card from the bowels of my wallet (never used it before) and call the magic number. I get the obligatory " high volume of callers", " please stay on the line", " or try online" blah, blah, blah. After a remarkably, in my mind, short 3 minute wait I'm talking to the CAA rep and tell her my truck won't start. She gets some details including where I am and puts me on hold for a short time. When she comes back it is not with good news. Apparently because of the unusually frigid weather my area has been classified as a "Red Zone" and they are only responding to "Emergency" calls and because I am "safe" in the Home Depot parking lot they won't send anyone.Of course she couldn't even give me any guess as to when they might be able to respond. So there I am sitting in a truck that won't start with a new fridge in the back and a fridge full of food at home getting warmer by the minute and no help from CAA. What to do now? I look out the windshield and notice the Home Depot rental van parked in the opposite row facing me... Eureka! I'll rent the van, get my new fridge home, save the food ('cause we all know how expensive groceries are now) and deal with the truck tomorrow...when it's supposed to be "only -15c". The van rental went smoothly and I'm now back home, a half-thawed dinner in the oven and a big glass of rum in my hand. Let tomorrow bring what it can, I'll be ready.
This may not sound like a legitimate "FML" post to some of you, that is until now. While sitting back enjoying my well deserved rum I caught a quick flash out of the corner of my eye, a green flash, the same colour of green as the display on my fridge panel. FFS my fridge came back to life and is purring like a well fed kitten... and a tray of ice just dropped in the ice maker. At least I'll have fresh ice for the next rum. And believe me there is going to be a next rum.

Last edited by Buug959; 02-04-2023 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 9
JJ 911SC21896.50
Dino GT35121.00
Esteban42251.50
cmyx6go15582.50
Llarry14500.00
Lady Jane68987.00
M_Six16556.00
      02-04-2023, 07:36 PM   #148
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Vacation? Today is the first DAY OFF that I've had since my 12/20 post...every one of them working 12-16 hours per day out of a closet on-site since I don't even have a freaking office there since COVID! For the first time in four decades, I hate the IT field, computers, networking, etc, and don't want to ever work another day in the field.

I can't afford to retire yet. Even worse, my ticker batteries have 3-4 months left in them before they (and I) die, so I sort of need health insurance or else I would have quit a month ago. (The company that my DW works at is teetering on the edge of bankrupt, and no way would I jump onto their medical plan or even count on her pay checks not to bounce as a primary income source.)

FML, FML, FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm signing out of my computer now, because my eyes need a break before the onslaught begins at work all over again tomorrow. Did I say FML?!?!?!?
Esteban42251.50
Buug95916851.50
M_Six16556.00
      02-04-2023, 08:34 PM   #149
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ Sorry to hear of your woes, vreihen16, glad to know you're still with us. Hope that things get better for you. Hang in there, buddy.
Dino GT35121.00
cmyx6go15582.50
      02-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #150
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
Overnight last night (Friday) the forecast deep freeze arrived along with the high winds. Temperature dropped to -28c with the windchill making it feel like -39c. Pretty cold when you're not used to it but I had no reason to go out in it so no huge deal. Somewhere around 4am I woke to a sound I haven't heard since installing the heat pump a few years ago... the furnace was running. The heat pump just couldn't keep up with the cold. Again, no biggy. The real drama started when I got up at about 8am and discovered that my refrigerator was not working. It has a history of taking a long time to restart after a power outage, a couple or three hours usually, so I wasn't terribly concerned. That is until I checked my most sensitive clock and noticed that it had NOT reset meaning the power had not gone off overnight. Huh. I did some research and discovered that this particular model of refrigerator has a history of motherboard failure. More research turns up a popular diagnostic test and , sure enough, my fridge failed exactly as the test predicted. Still more research and I have the new motherboard ordered from Amazon ( arriving Tuesday ) for $270CDN. Meanwhile I have a fridge full of food that is no longer being refrigerated so I decide to go out and pick up a small fridge to use until the new motherboard arrives. I've been thinking about getting a little fridge for cold snacks for a while now so this seemed like the perfect time to get one. So now I have to go out ( did I mention the deep freeze and nasty windchill numbers?) and shop for a small fridge. This means moving the Golf which I park in front of my truck. It's cold but the Golf fires up reluctantly. My truck doesn't realize that it's cold and starts like the champ it is. Off I go but before I start looking for a fridge I stop to eat. After filling my belly I hop back in the truck and turn the key. I know what you're thinking, it won't crank. Nope. It spins over just fine but it doesn't start. WTF? I try again. Still doesn't start. I swear under my breath and pull the key out, wait a few seconds, put the key back in, turn it on and wait a few seconds then crank it. It fires up like nothing was wrong. SMH. That's a little disconcerting but it's running fine so I brush it off.
Off I go in search of a fridge. My first stop is Home Depot. Turns out it was a good choice because I found a great little fridge for under $400 Canadian pesos. Sold! I pay and take it out and load it on my truck. Finally things are starting to turn around...Nope. My truck won't start, won't even attempt to turn over. I pop the hood and look for anything obvious like loose battery cables etc. All looks good. I try jump starting it even though I'm not convinced the battery is the problem, dash lights, headlights, stereo, wipers all work perfectly. Once again it feels like -39c in the wind and I'm in the middle of the Home Depot parking lot pointed directly into the frigid gale. I climb back in to the truck out of the wind.
I'm sitting there wondering what my next move is when I remember that I have CAA. Woo Hoo! I dig out the card from the bowels of my wallet (never used it before) and call the magic number. I get the obligatory " high volume of callers", " please stay on the line", " or try online" blah, blah, blah. After a remarkably, in my mind, short 3 minute wait I'm talking to the CAA rep and tell her my truck won't start. She gets some details including where I am and puts me on hold for a short time. When she comes back it is not with good news. Apparently because of the unusually frigid weather my area has been classified as a "Red Zone" and they are only responding to "Emergency" calls and because I am "safe" in the Home Depot parking lot they won't send anyone.Of course she couldn't even give me any guess as to when they might be able to respond. So there I am sitting in a truck that won't start with a new fridge in the back and a fridge full of food at home getting warmer by the minute and no help from CAA. What to do now? I look out the windshield and notice the Home Depot rental van parked in the opposite row facing me... Eureka! I'll rent the van, get my new fridge home, save the food ('cause we all know how expensive groceries are now) and deal with the truck tomorrow...when it's supposed to be "only -15c". The van rental went smoothly and I'm now back home, a half-thawed dinner in the oven and a big glass of rum in my hand. Let tomorrow bring what it can, I'll be ready.
This may not sound like a legitimate "FML" post to some of you, that is until now. While sitting back enjoying my well deserved rum I caught a quick flash out of the corner of my eye, a green flash, the same colour of green as the display on my fridge panel. FFS my fridge came back to life and is purring like a well fed kitten... and a tray of ice just dropped in the ice maker. At least I'll have fresh ice for the next rum. And believe me there is going to be a next rum.
Glad things worked out for you. Sounds like luck was (finally) with you.

I think I would have a few more rums too!
      02-04-2023, 08:55 PM   #151
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ya, sending good vibes. Man...
Appreciate 1
Buug95916851.50
      02-06-2023, 07:01 AM   #152
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Vacation? Today is the first DAY OFF that I've had since my 12/20 post...every one of them working 12-16 hours per day out of a closet on-site since I don't even have a freaking office there since COVID! For the first time in four decades, I hate the IT field, computers, networking, etc, and don't want to ever work another day in the field.

I can't afford to retire yet. Even worse, my ticker batteries have 3-4 months left in them before they (and I) die, so I sort of need health insurance or else I would have quit a month ago. (The company that my DW works at is teetering on the edge of bankrupt, and no way would I jump onto their medical plan or even count on her pay checks not to bounce as a primary income source.)

FML, FML, FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm signing out of my computer now, because my eyes need a break before the onslaught begins at work all over again tomorrow. Did I say FML?!?!?!?
I'm so sorry to hear this. I checked your profile a few times to see if you'd logged in. I was hoping you were down south and off the grid.
      02-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #153
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
For the first time in four decades, I hate the IT field, computers, networking, etc, and don't want to ever work another day in the field.
Shoulder available. I can't help, but can commiserate.

Me: Just recently, despite all my battles, I seem to have been converted to salary. And for the last 3 closed Fridays, I've been at work at least a part of the day. In two weeks we are replacing all the core network switches, and two weeks after that all the central office phone switches.
      02-10-2023, 09:09 PM   #154
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

FML
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
M_Six16556.00
Esteban42251.50
eluded2960.50
Buug95916851.50