BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb A Tale of Customer Service or Lack Thereof...

I came across this in my Google feed and ironically, Ive had similar poor experiences lately with my local dealer service department and not the first time...

I'd like to hear from current owners specifically with poor or bad customer service, and how you have dealt with it/them?

We all enjoy the product obviously, that's why we're here. But I've noticed a notable drop in dealers really giving AF about great or even good service experience. Particularly from a "luxury brand"

https://medium.com/@mikeschoultz/how...re-dee20f0fd40
      11-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I have to say I have never had a bad service experience with BMW. I service at the dealer I lease from. I have leased 7 cars from them (+1 from a different dealer, long story but my dealer continued to give me loaners). Being I lease and normally no issues, maybe I’m not a fair point of comparison but I did have a big issue with my 2010 X6 50i. Part needed was on national backorder. They gave me a good loaner then fabricated the part to hold me over until part was available. They also stepped up to the plate for my brother when he had one of the first 7s with the bangle butt (I forget the year) with all the issues. He has had probably 12 leases from dealer. I have been tempted at times to switch teams but the service has been a big part in keeping me loyal.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 11-30-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

The more vehicles you have bought from them and the higher up the BMW chain they are (expense), the better the service is. At least that’s been my experience over several decades and multiple dealers in different states.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

TXSTYLE what were your service problems ? In the link you provided I didn't think $216 repair or if I had to pay for a rental all that egregious.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Sadly this is becoming quite common across all brands. The few experiences I have had with the BMW dealer have actually been decent. MUCH better than the experiences I've had with other dealers.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I have had good experience in terms of service at the Des Moines dealership. The service reps all seem to care and know what they are talking about, good communication on pricing, good timing, and always a BMW loaner.

Much better than my GMC experiences (with a newer, more expensive vehicle). Have to fight to get a loaner and even when you do get one it is a bare bones turd.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Sadly this is becoming quite common across all brands. The few experiences I have had with the BMW dealer have actually been decent. MUCH better than the experiences I've had with other dealers.
Customer service across all industries has declined. If you go in with lower expectations, you may be pleasantly surprised but worst case will be that your expectations have been met.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

One of the first things I do when I have to deal with a dealer service department on a frequent basis is to establish a rapport with a SA/service writer. I establish I do know some things about cars but don't come across as being a dick. I've found this approach has paid off and have never had a horrible experience. This approach has been done with 2 BMW indies, a BMW dealership, and when I had my Fix Or Repair Daily. And the service I've received wasn't indicative of how many cars I've purchased from said dealership or how expensive the car is/was.

I don't understand the harping about loaners either. Maybe I have my standards set way too low. As long as I get a car to drive in which doesn't look as if it was junkyard salvage special, I could care less. I'm just happy to not have to worry about the inconvenience of dealing with my personal transportation logistics. It's not as if this loaner is going to be the car you'll have for an extended period.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #9
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've always had good service from both my BMW dealer and a few GM dealers I've dealt with...if there is an issue we work things out. Loaners a normally not an issue at either dealers and as mentioned above, I don't care what it is, as long as I can get to work and come back to pick up my car/truck
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Xrygrl23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 2015

I agree even when you are cash buyer, service sucks. :0(
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13773.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Unfortunately it all depends on the specific dealer. The service at my dealer has always been great. Granted I don't go a lot because I'm a diy kind of guy. But they always have a loaner ready for me and my car is ready exactly when they say it will be. The sales department doesn't seem to profile like most higher end dealers. I'm 27 but look like I'm 18, and last year I showed up in my beater Scion Tc and they had no problem letting me test drive a brand new F80.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
TXSTYLE what were your service problems ? In the link you provided I didn't think $216 repair or if I had to pay for a rental all that egregious.
Some of you may be aware of the now infamous "N63 Campaign" aka recall (even if BW refuses to call it that). I won't go into the plethora of issues plaguing this engine (some much worse than others) but let's just say that a successful Class Action Suit was made against BMW. That being said, back in Jan 2016, I was among the first in my area to have my car brought in and repaired out of warranty for the N63 Campaign by BMW. You may think that was pretty sweet huh? Well yeah, to a degree.
The dealer initially gave me the run around even acknowledging the campaign and that BMW had agreed to perform major repairs on affected vehicles. Including: replacing Timing Chain, all Fuel Injectors and more. After my initial call to the dealer to setup the appointment, I was told they were unaware and needed to confirm with the manufacturer. Even though I had a letter in hand. Ok, so after almost 2 weeks later they call and schedule the appointment. But, they did not have a loan car for me at that time. That doesn't work for me so I had to wait another week supposedly. Finally got my car in and it took @ 10 days for all the repairs as some parts had to be received. I also had battled with them over a defective battery that I had heard some customers were in fact getting replaced quickly and some not so much. I've had a great relationship with my SA and the SM in fact. So that wasn't much of thought. But I would notice various customers complaining with other SA's just in passing. Even when I took my car in for routine maintenance.
There have been other hiccups as well, that could or should not have occurred, if "Customer Service" were a priority. I'm not not only as a huge consumer but as a Business Owner, customer service is HUGE in my book!
Fast forward to recently. There is a new campaign related to this engine/N63 regarding excessive oil consumption and defective batteries or excessive drain coming from electrical system from turbo fans. Got another letter and called to make my appointment. Set the date to drop off and get my loaner. Got a call back the next day that, "unfortunately I would not be getting a loaner due to the nature of my issue'. When questioned, I was told that due to the overwhelming number of other vehicles needing these tests and or repairs, they could not accommodate loaners for those customers.
I've purchased a previous car from this dealer but have serviced more than 3 bimmers there.
I understand the entire 'franchise and manufacturer' thing and how the dealers set their standards for things like loaners. But I know other owners from this dealer who too, are unhappy with the poor customer service provided.

I will add that my car overall has been great! It's been paid for years and I really don't care for car payments. If it were a money pit, I would have gotten rid of it and replaced it. Inside and out it is super clean and does what I need it to do. I understand the nature of these cars and the potential for $$$ repairs out of warranty. I have the cash to handle that. And I only average @ 5k miles a year. But again, this is about Customer Service or the lack thereof...
      11-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
One of the first things I do when I have to deal with a dealer service department on a frequent basis is to establish a rapport with a SA/service writer. I establish I do know some things about cars but don't come across as being a dick. I've found this approach has paid off and have never had a horrible experience. This approach has been done with 2 BMW indies, a BMW dealership, and when I had my Fix Or Repair Daily. And the service I've received wasn't indicative of how many cars I've purchased from said dealership or how expensive the car is/was.

I don't understand the harping about loaners either. Maybe I have my standards set way too low. As long as I get a car to drive in which doesn't look as if it was junkyard salvage special, I could care less. I'm just happy to not have to worry about the inconvenience of dealing with my personal transportation logistics. It's not as if this loaner is going to be the car you'll have for an extended period.
Well, being refused ANY loaner ain't cool and furthermore, under the circumstances (manufacturer deemed repairs) should be available.
I don't ask for a 7 Series or some shit. A loaner is pretty common place and expected from luxury brands.
      11-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Some of you may be aware of the now infamous "N63 Campaign" aka recall (even if BW refuses to call it that). I won't go into the plethora of issues plaguing this engine (some much worse than others) but let's just say that a successful Class Action Suit was made against BMW. That being said, back in Jan 2016, I was among the first in my area to have my car brought in and repaired out of warranty for the N63 Campaign by BMW. You may think that was pretty sweet huh? Well yeah, to a degree.
The dealer initially gave me the run around even acknowledging the campaign and that BMW had agreed to perform major repairs on affected vehicles. Including: replacing Timing Chain, all Fuel Injectors and more. After my initial call to the dealer to setup the appointment, I was told they were unaware and needed to confirm with the manufacturer. Even though I had a letter in hand. Ok, so after almost 2 weeks later they call and schedule the appointment. But, they did not have a loan car for me at that time. That doesn't work for me so I had to wait another week supposedly. Finally got my car in and it took @ 10 days for all the repairs as some parts had to be received. I also had battled with them over a defective battery that I had heard some customers were in fact getting replaced quickly and some not so much. I've had a great relationship with my SA and the SM in fact. So that wasn't much of thought. But I would notice various customers complaining with other SA's just in passing. Even when I took my car in for routine maintenance.
There have been other hiccups as well, that could or should not have occurred, if "Customer Service" were a priority. I'm not not only as a huge consumer but as a Business Owner, customer service is HUGE in my book!
Fast forward to recently. There is a new campaign related to this engine/N63 regarding excessive oil consumption and defective batteries or excessive drain coming from electrical system from turbo fans. Got another letter and called to make my appointment. Set the date to drop off and get my loaner. Got a call back the next day that, "unfortunately I would not be getting a loaner due to the nature of my issue'. When questioned, I was told that due to the overwhelming number of other vehicles needing these tests and or repairs, they could not accommodate loaners for those customers.
I've purchased a previous car from this dealer but have serviced more than 3 bimmers there.
I understand the entire 'franchise and manufacturer' thing and how the dealers set their standards for things like loaners. But I know other owners from this dealer who too, are unhappy with the poor customer service provided.

I will add that my car overall has been great! It's been paid for years and I really don't care for car payments. If it were a money pit, I would have gotten rid of it and replaced it. Inside and out it is super clean and does what I need it to do. I understand the nature of these cars and the potential for $$$ repairs out of warranty. I have the cash to handle that. And I only average @ 5k miles a year. But again, this is about Customer Service or the lack thereof...

coincidental that a colleague just contacted me about N63 this morning.

Your situation would make me mad also.

Thanks for describing the details
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13773.50
      11-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
coincidental that a colleague just contacted me about N63 this morning.

Your situation would make me mad also.

Thanks for describing the details
Absolutely. You're welcome and good luck.

I'm not one to really bitch and complain. But customer service is a huge hot button for me. I will take the time and praise a attentive and courteous, smiling waitress to her manager before I leave the restaurant or a do the same for a sales person at Nordstroms or wherever I'm shopping. Likewise, if the service is piss poor, I will either bring it up or never return.
      11-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Well, being refused ANY loaner ain't cool and furthermore, under the circumstances (manufacturer deemed repairs) should be available.
I don't ask for a 7 Series or some shit. A loaner is pretty common place and expected from luxury brands.
On the loaner, from my understanding, not all BMW dealerships provide loaners. But my comment was directed to those that say they have X model Bimmer and expect an equal or better loaner. I really don't care what loaner I get. As long as I get something I can drive around in.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13773.50