BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

E70 50i to F15 35d suspension differences

My previous ride was a '11 X5 50i w/ Sport Pkg. I didn't purchase the dpc option. My new ride is a '14 X5 35d MSport w/ the dynamic handling pkg. I was pretty impressed with the ride performance of my 2011 but it's light years different from this new X5. I feel like this thing is more confident in the corners than my '06 M Roadster. Seriously, it has almost no body roll in corners when in sport mode.

I'm curious if this drastic difference is the combination of the new F15 suspension and the DHP or is it mainly DHP? Would a 2011 E70 w/ Sport Package handle like a base F15?

I seriously love this new car. I hated to part with my old X5 but after months of issues out of the V8, I had to let her go. I miss that enormous amount of power especially at higher speeds but this diesel is a hell of a machine. The fuel mileage is phenomenal, tons of torque, no black tail pipes, and it pulls my "toy" trailer great. I hope this car is as reliable as all of my previous BMW's have been. (other than the last X5)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
XLR8_24/7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

I am very pleased to hear you are very happy with the handling with DHP. I have a 2014 X5 35d M Sport with the DHP due to arrive next week. The dealership didn't have an X5 with DHP to test drive when I placed my order, so I am not quite sure what to expect. I have DHP in my 2011 550i and absolutely love it. The car handles extremely well and has zero body roll in corners. I am glad to hear DHP works well in the X5 as well. Like you, I will probably miss the massive power from the V8, but I'm looking forward to the torque and great gas mileage.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

It's mainly the DHP but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8_24/7 View Post
I am very pleased to hear you are very happy with the handling with DHP. I have a 2014 X5 35d M Sport with the DHP due to arrive next week. The dealership didn't have an X5 with DHP to test drive when I placed my order, so I am not quite sure what to expect. I have DHP in my 2011 550i and absolutely love it. The car handles extremely well and has zero body roll in corners. I am glad to hear DHP works well in the X5 as well. Like you, I will probably miss the massive power from the V8, but I'm looking forward to the torque and great gas mileage.

The improved cornering is most likely due to the DHP's Active Roll Stabilization feature. I have an E70 50i with Adaptive Drive and it handles as flat as a pancake in the corners. Test drove an M-Sport F15 without DHP and I could tell the difference IMMEDIATELY. First on-ramp I took in the F15 I was sliding in my seat, the front corner was diving and my head was not level. Got back into my car and took the same on-ramp and it is night and day different.

I believe that the suspension in the F15 may benefit from a stiffer frame, but the main difference you are feeling is from the Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) portion of the Dynamic Handling Package.

ARS is particularly valuable with the X5 because it is tall and heavy and subject to body lean and diving in corners. ARS keeps the car almost completely level. It is something that must be felt. Description doesn't do it justice. I liken it to the sensation you have as a passenger when banking in a plane. Your head stays perfectly level but the plane is turning aggressively.

As others have said, it is an extremely expensive option, it adds a ton of complexity to the car, and it is debatable how much value it will retain upon trade-in, but no one should debate how much better the X5 (E70 or X15) handles with ARS. And the best part is that the X5 already handles very well without the DHP.

The shame is that almost no dealers have DHP-equipped vehicles in stock because it is a priority 1 option meaning it can only be ordered specifically for a customer. But my belief is that every dealer should have at least one X5 with ARS so buyers could compare. If buyers could compare then BMW would probably sell a lot more of the DHP package, despite its cost, and would probably make more money.

Am about to place an order for a 2015 35d and the first box checked was DHP because it's the only way to get ARS. In Europe, ARS is a stand alone option. In the US we must purchase the full DHP for $4,500. I am happy to get performance control (torque vectoring) but the ARS is the crown jewel of the Dynamic Handling Package.

Sorry to be so long winded, but strongly believe that ARS continues to be one of the most misunderstood yet most valuable options, particularly in a vehicle with the dimensions of an X5

Good luck.

Last edited by Cavman; 06-18-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

The E70 had a very similar option if not the same.. quoted from the E70 forums in Bimmerfest http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...andling&page=3

Quote:
Dynamic Drive (Active Roll Stabilization..ARS)
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...=dynamic_drive

+

EDC (Electronic Damping Control)
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...r_control.html

=

Adaptive Drive
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...adaptive_drive

(VDM (Vertical Dynamics Management) is the system that controls the movement of the EDC and works in co-op with Dynamic Drive.)

VDC (Variable Damping Control) is the same as EDC – only different names. Why - ask BMW?

You can not get the stand alone EDC on the X5 – only in combination with Dynamic Drive. The system has only 2 settings, compared to EDC in the F10 which has 4 settings.

The X5 M and the regular X5 with AD share exactly the same technology. The difference is the setup. The X5 M is incredible harsh, and has been widely criticized for its horrendous ride. The M division at BMW stood firm for a long time, and refused to make a M model out of a SUV because of the natural limitations in height and weight.

The EDC and Dynamic Drive (AD) on the M allows for two settings IMO;
1. extremely harsh.
2. Harsher than extremely harsh.

When it is so harsh from start, it is off course difficult to notice the difference between the two settings.

The EDC and Dynamic Drive (AD) on the ordinary X5, is on the other hand incredible comfortable. I regard the two settings as;

1. Comfort (++). One of the softest cars i have driven, but with almost no body roll. This combination makes it almost surreal:-)
2. Sport. Not as hard as the 226 X5 sports suspension – but with less body roll..And miles away from the X5 M setup.

The system is described in detail in the video below, which I have posted earlier. I recommend everyone interested in AD to take a closer look.

Video explaining the Adaptive Drive that could be same as Dynamic Handling package??

Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
SpeedN8
Slower traffic keep right.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35d & '18 M4 Coupe ZCP

I just did a youtube for BMW Active Roll Stabilization and found this. I had no idea the car would shift this much. That's awesome!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedN8 View Post
I just did a youtube for BMW Active Roll Stabilization and found this. I had no idea the car would shift this much. That's awesome!
Oh wow. Great video.
Appreciate 1