BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2024, 07:16 PM   #1
FlyingAlpaca
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None Yet
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Negotiating X4 Price (and BMW purchases generally)

Hello Esteemed Forum Members,

I'm contemplating purchasing a new X4 & have never previously owned a BMW, let alone any car exceeding about $35K.

Obviously I want the best deal possible, but I know dealerships need to make a profit at the same time. How much maneuver space should I expect in terms of price? Or put another way, is it unrealistic to expect MSRP -5%? -10%?

There's a dealership in the state (CO) that says they don't negotiate at all & instead just give an aggressive price out of the gate.

I will certainly shop & do my due diligence, but if I can extract some tips/tricks/knowledge from your experience, I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

FA
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
eldyf93
Extraordinaire
20
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: F93
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAlpaca View Post
Hello Esteemed Forum Members,

I'm contemplating purchasing a new X4 & have never previously owned a BMW, let alone any car exceeding about $35K.

Obviously I want the best deal possible, but I know dealerships need to make a profit at the same time. How much maneuver space should I expect in terms of price? Or put another way, is it unrealistic to expect MSRP -5%? -10%?

There's a dealership in the state (CO) that says they don't negotiate at all & instead just give an aggressive price out of the gate.

I will certainly shop & do my due diligence, but if I can extract some tips/tricks/knowledge from your experience, I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

FA
Do your research on the X4 invoice price. There's usually another 6% behind invoice good dealerships will get. Aim for at least 10% off MSRP. Don't play four square, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 09:41 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
10543
Rep
6,903
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If you are a Costco member they negotiate purchase prices for their members. You just need to ask them what BMW dealers in your area are on the Costco purchase list. Usually the Costco deal is the same or better than an individual can negotiate.
__________________
BMWCCA member Puget Sound Chapter
Appreciate 4
Xover22106.00
Llarry15178.50
      02-20-2024, 09:58 PM   #4
FlyingAlpaca
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None Yet
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldyf93 View Post
Do your research on the X4 invoice price. There's usually another 6% behind invoice good dealerships will get. Aim for at least 10% off MSRP. Don't play four square, etc.
Thank you eldyf93! At least I now have a target in mind & def. won't be playing any games.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:00 PM   #5
FlyingAlpaca
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: None Yet
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If you are a Costco member they negotiate purchase prices for their members. You just need to ask them what BMW dealers in your area are on the Costco purchase list. Usually the Costco deal is the same or better than an individual can negotiate.
Thank you Dan G! I didn't know Costco could (would) conduct negotiations on my behalf. I'm not a member but will definitely consider it if it'll save me $$ and headache. I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:22 PM   #6
RigaTony1982
Colonel
RigaTony1982's Avatar
2535
Rep
2,030
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Could also go the broker route. The one Iíve used on my Z4 and wifeís X3 is advertising 7% off MSRP on X4.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 09:40 PM   #7
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
5616
Rep
4,346
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
Could also go the broker route. The one Iíve used on my Z4 and wifeís X3 is advertising 7% off MSRP on X4.
In your experience has a dealer ever matched a brokerís discount?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:39 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
2856
Rep
2,751
Posts

Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
In your experience has a dealer ever matched a brokerís discount?
My local dealer matched the broker price minus the broker and shipping fee from an out of state dealer.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 08:24 AM   #9
RigaTony1982
Colonel
RigaTony1982's Avatar
2535
Rep
2,030
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
In your experience has a dealer ever matched a brokerís discount?
On the two cars weíve bought using a broker, no. When we ordered my wifeís X3 in December of 2022, we got 10% of MSRP. We reached out to a few dealers, including the one where she got her previous X1 and we take our cars for service. We have a good relationship with them, so figured they might. They basically told us there was no way we were getting that much off and that the broker was lying to us.

A few weeks later, I was at the same dealer getting service on my M340i. Happened to run into the sales guy and he asked how it panned out. I told him exactly how I said. They gave us 10% off. He was still baffled as to how.

When I ordered my Z4, same dealer had one sitting in their showroom. Had been there at least 5 months. Was January 2023 (so dead of winter in Chicago) and was a 2022 model. I told him I had an offer to order a 2023 for 3.5% off MSRP. Asked if they could beat it on the one sitting there. Couldnít beat that offer either.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 09:53 AM   #10
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
Westside Guy's Avatar
United_States
5616
Rep
4,346
Posts

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Hallandale Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
On the two cars weíve bought using a broker, no. When we ordered my wifeís X3 in December of 2022, we got 10% of MSRP. We reached out to a few dealers, including the one where she got her previous X1 and we take our cars for service. We have a good relationship with them, so figured they might. They basically told us there was no way we were getting that much off and that the broker was lying to us.

A few weeks later, I was at the same dealer getting service on my M340i. Happened to run into the sales guy and he asked how it panned out. I told him exactly how I said. They gave us 10% off. He was still baffled as to how.

When I ordered my Z4, same dealer had one sitting in their showroom. Had been there at least 5 months. Was January 2023 (so dead of winter in Chicago) and was a 2022 model. I told him I had an offer to order a 2023 for 3.5% off MSRP. Asked if they could beat it on the one sitting there. Couldnít beat that offer either.
IMHO, any dealer that wouldnít negotiate on a convertible where you live and it is the middle of winter is a moron. Did you contact any other dealers in your area at that time to see if they were flexible on the price?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #11
LVBMW
Captain
LVBMW's Avatar
1233
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
On the two cars we’ve bought using a broker, no. When we ordered my wife’s X3 in December of 2022, we got 10% of MSRP. We reached out to a few dealers, including the one where she got her previous X1 and we take our cars for service. We have a good relationship with them, so figured they might. They basically told us there was no way we were getting that much off and that the broker was lying to us.

A few weeks later, I was at the same dealer getting service on my M340i. Happened to run into the sales guy and he asked how it panned out. I told him exactly how I said. They gave us 10% off. He was still baffled as to how.

When I ordered my Z4, same dealer had one sitting in their showroom. Had been there at least 5 months. Was January 2023 (so dead of winter in Chicago) and was a 2022 model. I told him I had an offer to order a 2023 for 3.5% off MSRP. Asked if they could beat it on the one sitting there. Couldn’t beat that offer either.
I had a similar experience ordering an iX. Broker deal = 10% off MSRP. Local dealer said if I can get that deal for real, take it (but it must actually be a loaner, etc. have them send me a photo of the odometer) - it wasn't. Ordered it custom made. Emailed the salesperson I dealt with at the local dealer a photo of the car after I received it. Never got a reply. First time using a broker, but it was so incredibly easy and an amazing savings. I don't think I will ever go back to the "old" way.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2024, 05:33 PM   #12
RigaTony1982
Colonel
RigaTony1982's Avatar
2535
Rep
2,030
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
IMHO, any dealer that wouldnít negotiate on a convertible where you live and it is the middle of winter is a moron. Did you contact any other dealers in your area at that time to see if they were flexible on the price?
For the X3, yes. On the Z4, no. There was only that one and a Frozen Grey one for sale around me (again, mid-winter in a Chicago). Just decided that the broker discount seemed fair and I could order exactly what I wanted.

Funny thing is, that Frozen Gray one is still for sale: https://www.elmhurstbmw.com/new-vehi...%5D%5B0%5D=New
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1232.50
      02-23-2024, 06:52 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
P1's Avatar
11552
Rep
11,132
Posts

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Or buy a one-year old CPO with less than 10K miles and pay 30%+ off MSRP.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 09:36 AM   #14
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
Rafichicago's Avatar
United_States
699
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
For the X3, yes. On the Z4, no. There was only that one and a Frozen Grey one for sale around me (again, mid-winter in a Chicago). Just decided that the broker discount seemed fair and I could order exactly what I wanted.

Funny thing is, that Frozen Gray one is still for sale: https://www.elmhurstbmw.com/new-vehi...%5D%5B0%5D=New
The reason for unwillingness to negotiate on Z4 vs X3 is quite simple. They will get hundreds of x3 allocations and very few for Z4. Z4 will sell regardless.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 01:50 PM   #15
RigaTony1982
Colonel
RigaTony1982's Avatar
2535
Rep
2,030
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
The reason for unwillingness to negotiate on Z4 vs X3 is quite simple. They will get hundreds of x3 allocations and very few for Z4. Z4 will sell regardless.
Agreed. I'm not surprised the discount we got on the X3 was much higher. I was still able to get a discount on the Z4 through the broker, just not nearly as much.
__________________
2023 Z4 M40i - San Francisco Red Metallic/Ivory White
Past: 2021 M340i xDrive - Sunset Orange Metallic/Black w/blue stitching
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2024, 01:54 PM   #16
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
Rafichicago's Avatar
United_States
699
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigaTony1982 View Post
Agreed. I'm not surprised the discount we got on the X3 was much higher. I was still able to get a discount on the Z4 through the broker, just not nearly as much.
Z4s are cool cars. Not comparable to new one in any way but We have first Z4. 3.0SI 6 speed manual. Even though itís 18 years old its are fun as hell. My wife uses it as daily and loves it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #17
Nettles
Lieutenant
Nettles's Avatar
757
Rep
441
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Or buy a one-year old CPO with less than 10K miles and pay 30%+ off MSRP.
Didn't want to be the guy to bring this up and appreciate you said it. On a car like the X4...putting it nicely you should really consider this advice.
Appreciate 2
P111552.00
      02-24-2024, 05:33 PM   #18
X5MBlue
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: X5M
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

any reccomend brokers you can message me that everyone here has used ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 06:22 AM   #19
SpeedyATL
Major
SpeedyATL's Avatar
1839
Rep
1,133
Posts

Drives: Z4 M40
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Day Laborer

I haven't worked with him, but he gets great reviews on this forum.
__________________
2022 Z4 M40 Alpine White/Magma Red
2023 X4 30i MSport BSM/Cognac
2018 BMW S1000XR & BMW R1200RT
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2024, 08:21 AM   #20
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
Day Laborer's Avatar
United_States
1741
Rep
1,882
Posts

Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY, NY, CT, PA, MD, VA, DE, FL

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Day Laborer

I haven't worked with him, but he gets great reviews on this forum.
Thanks for the recommendation!

My email is nextlevelautobrokersdc@gmail.com
__________________
http://www.precisionmedals.com/charts1/car.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/day_laborer/ (DM me from this account)
Email: nextlevelautobrokersdc@gmail.com
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2024, 08:36 AM   #21
omasou
Brigadier General
omasou's Avatar
United_States
2084
Rep
3,002
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
End of day. You need to eat and the CA needs to feed his family. If you go in w/the attitude of trying to rape them no one will be happy.

Also what is your value to the dealership. Are you the type of customer that will buy parts and have your service done there or are you someone with no loyalty and only interested in price. The CA will take this into consideration too.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 05:53 PM   #22
RigaTony1982
Colonel
RigaTony1982's Avatar
2535
Rep
2,030
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MBlue View Post
any reccomend brokers you can message me that everyone here has used ?

Thanks in advance
Iíve used Clutch for both of our cars:

https://www.clutchautodeals.com
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST