BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #133
Pawtato
Private First Class
Pawtato's Avatar
143
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 24 iX M60
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Ontario, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Iím assuming theyíre saying rinse first as in donít go straight into washing/contacting the paint?

I see the value in foaming first and dwelling before the actual first rinse. A similar concept of lots of detailers using a persoak. A presoak is the very first thing to hit the paint, before any pre rinse. Iím seeing this becoming the norm more and more.

Iím also more OCD about this now as black raven (GM) is a uni, so no metallic to hide imperfections.

I will say, I only do this prefoam when the car is heavily soiled. 2+ weeks no wash, daily use.
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that conversation and your comment just reminded me of it, maybe I should ask them for clarification.

On top of potential damages from the initial rinsing with a pressure washer, if any, I suppose the water will also dilute the foam a bit to make the the first dwelling less effective. Although Iíve also read elsewhere that the foam typically doesnít do much work at all just sitting on top of the paint without any contact washing. I guess it still helps in cases where the car is heavily soiled.

I feel like metallic black is already painful to maintain for a constant clean appearance, is uni finish worse? You canít even pretend the dusts are glitters 🫣😂
Appreciate 1
FISH225392.00
      09-12-2023, 05:49 AM   #134
FISH22
Colonel
FISH22's Avatar
United_States
5392
Rep
2,028
Posts

Drives: G80 M3 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtato View Post
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that conversation and your comment just reminded me of it, maybe I should ask them for clarification.

On top of potential damages from the initial rinsing with a pressure washer, if any, I suppose the water will also dilute the foam a bit to make the the first dwelling less effective. Although Iíve also read elsewhere that the foam typically doesnít do much work at all just sitting on top of the paint without any contact washing. I guess it still helps in cases where the car is heavily soiled.

I feel like metallic black is already painful to maintain for a constant clean appearance, is uni finish worse? You canít even pretend the dusts are glitters 🫣😂
When I do the initial prefoam; I let it dwell, rinse, then apply another coat for lubrication, then get to washing.

As for the uni black, yes itís a nightmare. Imagine having super dark tinted windows and what that glass looks like. You can make out every imperfection. Even after I paint corrected it and ceramic coated it, itís still work. But, itís absolutely breathtaking when itís clean.
Appreciate 1
Pawtato142.50
      01-28-2024, 11:10 AM   #135
captain_kangeroo
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 318d SE (2009)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wiltshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Old three I know but just picked up my X4 with Frozen Gray paint. When collecting from the dealer all looked ok but a week down the line itís got some cloudy patches where they touched up some scratches which I asked them to sort before buying the car (itís 2 years old)

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
If itís easy Iíll do it myself but if not Iíll just throw it back to BMW as it was from a main dealer.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 01:57 PM   #136
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Wow.. what a hack job. I would be furious.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17412.50
P111550.50
      01-28-2024, 02:15 PM   #137
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
2350
Rep
3,508
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_kangeroo View Post
itís got some cloudy patches where they touched up some scratches which I asked them to sort before buying the car (itís 2 years old)
Any idea if something is on the paint, or if it's damage to the paint itself?

I'd probably take it back either way, let them take care of it. And for them to also explain whatever work they will do / did do. This can make it somewhat official that the earlier work didn't come out well, and so if you have to elevate the issue there's some record of it. Also if they tell you what they do to fix it it might put your mind at ease (maybe something was applied and can be removed).

Hopefully they didn't just sand it down or something. Probably won't ever look right again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 02:24 PM   #138
NickyC
Lieutenant General
NickyC's Avatar
17413
Rep
10,634
Posts

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacked out of my mind

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_kangeroo View Post
Old three I know but just picked up my X4 with Frozen Gray paint. When collecting from the dealer all looked ok but a week down the line it’s got some cloudy patches where they touched up some scratches which I asked them to sort before buying the car (it’s 2 years old)

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
If it’s easy I’ll do it myself but if not I’ll just throw it back to BMW as it was from a main dealer.
Congrats on your purchase and hate to be the one to tell you this, but those paint sections are screwed. There is no "touching up" frozen paint, they likely destroyed the paint using traditional buffing methods. You simply cannot do that on frozen paint. Those sections will need a full respray, they won't be able to remedy those sections any other way.

Frozen paint is another animal. I absolutely adore frozen paint on my M4 CS, but I have all but admitted if I keep the car after another couple of years I will pop for a full respray in another color (likely either daytona or purple silk metallic). My car only has 20k miles on it, is always garaged, never abused, and even with that I can see some issues here and there in the paint. It is NOT for the faint of heart, and if I had to do it over again I likely would not buy a car with this paint.

With that being said, it's still unbelievably gorgeous and I get questions from random folks with every ride.
Appreciate 3
chris7197318.00
P111550.50
      01-28-2024, 08:10 PM   #139
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

The respray comment is interesting -- I wondered just this weekend what the delta would be between a full ppf (7-9k) and a respray without color change.. I'd bet it's not a big difference.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17412.50
      01-29-2024, 05:21 AM   #140
captain_kangeroo
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 318d SE (2009)
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wiltshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Popped down to the dealer this morning and they have agreed itís a problem and will sort it out.
Their just now rubbing their heads on the Ďbest wayí to sort it out.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17412.50
      01-29-2024, 07:43 AM   #141
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
2350
Rep
3,508
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
My car only has 20k miles on it, is always garaged, never abused, and even with that I can see some issues here and there in the paint. It is NOT for the faint of heart, and if I had to do it over again I likely would not buy a car with this paint.
Good info. I am highly considering an upcoming Manual Z4 and basically already decided against the frozen option for it, but notes like these basically confirm it. I have a history of keeping cars like 10+ years. I could keep a clear coated "normal" paint car looking pristine, a frozen car... doubtful.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17412.50
      01-29-2024, 09:18 AM   #142
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_kangeroo View Post
Popped down to the dealer this morning and they have agreed itís a problem and will sort it out.
Their just now rubbing their heads on the Ďbest wayí to sort it out.
Glad to hear that. Very curious how they resolve.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:25 AM   #143
NickyC
Lieutenant General
NickyC's Avatar
17413
Rep
10,634
Posts

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacked out of my mind

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Good info. I am highly considering an upcoming Manual Z4 and basically already decided against the frozen option for it, but notes like these basically confirm it. I have a history of keeping cars like 10+ years. I could keep a clear coated "normal" paint car looking pristine, a frozen car... doubtful.
Yeah it just wonít happen. Donít get me wrong, the paint (Frozen Dark Blue II) is beautiful. Everyone asks about it, most even think itís a wrap. However, any scratches/chips/other imperfections which might occur cannot be remedied. The panel in question would need to be resprayed, there is no other way from all Iíve been told. I think my car still looks great, but OCD type folks would probably lose their mind on a quick look over the car as you can see some small issues at certain angles and lighting. Overall I think it looks fantastic, but as the years go by I think it will be less and less so (sort of like me hah)!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #144
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Yeah it just wonít happen. Donít get me wrong, the paint (Frozen Dark Blue II) is beautiful. Everyone asks about it, most even think itís a wrap. However, any scratches/chips/other imperfections which might occur cannot be remedied. The panel in question would need to be resprayed, there is no other way from all Iíve been told. I think my car still looks great, but OCD type folks would probably lose their mind on a quick look over the car as you can see some small issues at certain angles and lighting. Overall I think it looks fantastic, but as the years go by I think it will be less and less so (sort of like me hah)!
Welcome perspective... how long have you owned it? Assume no film? Coating?
Appreciate 1
NickyC17412.50
      01-29-2024, 12:10 PM   #145
NickyC
Lieutenant General
NickyC's Avatar
17413
Rep
10,634
Posts

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacked out of my mind

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandonment View Post
Welcome perspective... how long have you owned it? Assume no film? Coating?
September 2022, bought with 14,800 miles from a local BMW dealer. Now have 20,300 miles on it. No protection, only product I have used is the BMW nano wax for matte paint. I’d recommend anyone who purchases new to get full PPF for the matte paint.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 03:46 PM   #146
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Really? Why full ppf? I'm not ocd about every little scratch, said in a different thread that in 20+ years I've had one 'paint correction' done.

Crashes, bent sheet metal, etc is different... that sucks regardless of finish.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:36 PM   #147
Flyer87
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: Z4
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Hello all

I absolutely love the frozen grey, I would if I could, hand clean it (honestly) but I have to park in a multi-storey story with no drainage

What would be the best way to get it cleaned?

The guys on the side of the road with the jet washers and ask them just to use water and maybe a 4/6 monthly specialist ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:17 PM   #148
Rcasa20
Private First Class
Rcasa20's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: Lambo Huracan EVO Chevy Tahoe
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_kangeroo View Post
Popped down to the dealer this morning and they have agreed itís a problem and will sort it out.
Their just now rubbing their heads on the Ďbest wayí to sort it out.
Any update? This happened to the hood of a Challenger I had and it had to be repainted. Then I had to wait 60 or 90 days before ppf went down because matte paint takes longer to cure.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #149
iifymbro
Lieutenant
622
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: '24 M2
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: U.S

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
I used the basic matte coating the first month and was pretty happy with it. I kept looking at the pro kit and finally said screw it and ordered it. Complete different results.

I talked to Dr Beasleyís about the pro coating quite a bit. Reason for its price, itís hardness rating of 10h. One of the highest on the market. Itís as good as ceramic coatings get. The best part, it was extremely easy to DIY! I was stressing it at first, but it was a breeze.
Did you have to strip the basic coating off first before applying the better one, how does that work on a frozen paint?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 07:39 AM   #150
FISH22
Colonel
FISH22's Avatar
United_States
5392
Rep
2,028
Posts

Drives: G80 M3 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
Did you have to strip the basic coating off first before applying the better one, how does that work on a frozen paint?
Thereís a surface prep that comes with their pro kit, and that will strip wax. The only option with matte paint, as you cannot clay or polish.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2024, 10:38 AM   #151
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
11453
Rep
10,324
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (2)

Frozen paint is just fine as long as you're willing to ppf the whole car.

I would definitely not own a frozen car without ppf, but it's been years with gts2, oem frozen with ppf from day 1, and it's just as easy to take care of as any of our other non frozen cars. Zero special care required.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #152
abrandonment
Lieutenant
abrandonment's Avatar
636
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2023
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91blksi View Post
For minor scratches and scuffs

Dr Beasleyís Matte Final Finish



Whoa.. if this is real...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 04:29 PM   #153
M3SQRD
Major General
M3SQRD's Avatar
2050
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

My biggest concern with frozen colors is having a bird crap on the paint and not knowing about it for hours. If it etches into the matte clearcoat thereís not much you can do to address it. Iíd be afraid to leave my car parked anywhere except in my garage!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #154
iifymbro
Lieutenant
622
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: '24 M2
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: U.S

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
My biggest concern with frozen colors is having a bird crap on the paint and not knowing about it for hours. If it etches into the matte clearcoat thereís not much you can do to address it. Iíd be afraid to leave my car parked anywhere except in my garage!
ceramic coat takes care of that for the most part, I definitely wouldn't want to own a frozen color without at least that applied to it
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST