BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #67
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

guys im in the process of getting a quote from my dads insurance company.

Wish me luck. Also heres an ad on kijiji for a 2004 GSXR600.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ80467636

he says the lowest he'll go is $5500.

Input please!!!

PS: Dont hate me chris and mpower!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #68
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgar0777 View Post
Your peer group (the people you are going to ride with) will have a significant influence on how you ride. If they can behave, so can you. If they are idiots, you will be too.

To be completely honest, the size of the bike is not particularly important, as they will all go fast enough to kill you, right here, right now. A large majority of rider error accidents occur when you get into a turn too hot and run wide. This rarely happens at 180mph. The slide won't kill you, but a sudden stop can be a b!tch.

Here is my advice:

1. Get some professional training at a riding school.

2. Lay down some rules about who you will ride with, and where you will ride.

3. Spend all of your money on safety gear, the best you can get your hands on. Wear it. All the Gear- All the Time.

4. Buy a bike that fits your standards with what you have left over after buying all of that safety gear.

5. Enjoy yourself, but never forget that you are taking a risk that can end your life, or worse.

6. Slow in, fast out. Be safe, and when in doubt, brake.
thanks for the advice. None of my friends have a bike so i'm guessing i will be a lone wolf. Thats is if i get one
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #69
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
guys im in the process of getting a quote from my dads insurance company.

Wish me luck. Also heres an ad on kijiji for a 2004 GSXR600.

here.

he says the lowest he'll go is $5500.

Input please!!!

PS: Dont hate me chris and mpower!!!
You insist on the 6er eh? sigh Be careful man and they won't hate you, they're saying it for your well being. I started on a 6er and look what happened to me. I'm going back to a 250r learn from me. It's not that you're gonna go too fast. The bike is too heavy for a beginner man. A 250r is much lighter and you can swerve and stop easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #70
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmstyle71 View Post
You insist on the 6er eh? sigh Be careful man and they won't hate you, they're saying it for your well being. I started on a 6er and look what happened to me. I'm going back to a 250r learn from me. It's not that you're gonna go too fast. The bike is too heavy for a beginner man. A 250r is much lighter and you can swerve and stop easier.
dude didnt you live in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #71
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
dude didnt you live in Canada?
Yeah didn't you read my previous posts?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #72
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah didn't you read my previous posts?
yes i did read your post, i just wanted to make sure it was you who said that it happened on the 401.. You guys probably think im arrogant and ignorant. I understand that people who are saying to go with a 250 are speaking sense BUT i cant hep pass up this offer, provided insurance isnt too much of a bitch, and my parents give in. Any Ontarions here? Besides im not planning on going on the highway. Also what ya think of the bike and the price? And do you think that hindle exhaust will make too much of a racket?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #73
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes i did read your post, i just wanted to make sure it was you who said that it happened on the 401.. You guys probably think im arrogant and ignorant. I understand that people who are saying to go with a 250 are speaking sense BUT i cant hep pass up this offer, provided insurance isnt too much of a bitch, and my parents give in. Any Ontarions here? Besides im not planning on going on the highway. Also what ya think of the bike and the price? And do you think that hindle exhaust will make too much of a racket?
Link is broken. I don't think you're anything man. It's your choice on what you want to do. We just don't want to see you get hurt. I hate to break it to you man but insurance WILL rape you.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #74
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Link is broken. I don't think you're anything man. It's your choice on what you want to do. We just don't want to see you get hurt. I hate to break it to you man but insurance WILL rape you.
i edited the link.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #75
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Too many miles well..kilometers. If you insist on using used gear, Don't use the helmet even if he says it's in perfect condition. Once a helmet is dropped on in a crash it is useless and if you crash wearing a helmet like that it will NOT protect you because the stuff in it has already absorbed a previous impact. I'm sure you can find a better deal. Look around. You can get a brand new 250r for less than that and by the time you're ready to upgrade from the 250r, there will be a ton more deals on bikes like that. 24,000 km is A LOT on a bike, mileage on bikes is not the same as cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #76
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Too many miles. If you insist on using used gear, Don't use the helmet even if he says it's in perfect condition. Once a helmet is dropped on in a crash it is useless and if you crash wearing a helmet like that it will NOT protect you because the stuff in it has already absorbed a previous impact. I'm sure you can find a better deal. Look around. You can get a brand new 250r for less than that and by the time you're ready to upgrade from the 250r, there will be a ton more deals on bikes like that. 24,000 km is A LOT on a bike, mileage on bikes is not the same as cars.
makes sense. But i was soo keen on buying a 600cc i just cant fathom myself going 250cc. None the less i will keep a open mind and check out some 250cc. Thing is i cant find any decent looking used ones. And buying brand new gear is gonna be expensive. I was thinking this bike would be ideal becase he's also including gear. i'll also ask him if hes every downed the bike or his helmet.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #77
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
makes sense. But i was soo keen on buying a 600cc i just cant fathom myself going 250cc. None the less i will keep a open mind and check out some 250cc. Thing is i cant find any decent looking used ones. And buying brand new gear is gonna be expensive. I was thinking this bike would be ideal becase he's also including gear. i'll also ask him if hes every downed the bike or his helmet.
Gear is expensive? More expensive than a funeral or a a wheelchair? Don't skimp on your gear. Obviously he's gonna say no it hasn't been downed. I know what you mean, you don't wanna be seen riding around in a pussy 250r. Dude, who cares you're a beginner and that's what you are. When i started flying, I didn't jump in a triple 7 or an airbus 340-600, I started on a cessna 172 and worked my way up. Same things with bikes man.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #78
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Do you even know if the gear will fit you? That's one of the most important things people over look. Gear you wear should fit right or its practically useless. If your jacket/pants are too big or too small the pads won't be in the right place and so on...

I spent 4k on my bike new and $900 on new gear after some good discounts.

I spent almost $450 dollars on my helmet alone. Why you ask? Quite frankly the well being of my head is worth more to me than $500 dollars

When I went out riding I was always in full gear...helmet, jacket, pants, boots, & gloves. I suggest you do the same. If price is an issue....save more money.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #79
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Do you even know if the gear will fit you? That's one of the most important things people over look. Gear you wear should fit right or its practically useless. If your jacket/pants are too big or too small the pads won't be in the right place and so on...

I spent 4k on my bike new and $900 on new gear after some good discounts.

I spent almost $450 dollars on my helmet alone. Why you ask? Quite frankly the well being of my head is worth more to me than $500 dollars

When I went out riding I was always in full gear...helmet, jacket, pants, boots, & gloves. I suggest you do the same.
Smart man. That's why I'm here talking to you today as well.
OP: Look into the shoei rf-1000: sexy design, endless animations, moderately priced, dot ANDDDDDd snell approved
Oh and if you don't strap your helmet with the chin strap, you might as well not be wearing a helmet because it will slip right out in a crash.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #80
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Damn...all of these posts in this thread are the reason why I just completely ignore my want to get a bike. Too much risk. Too many idiots. Too unsafe. But god it looks fun.

Razzy, you better listen to these guys. Get the 250cc and get the best gear. You will thank them if ever you are in a crash (hopefully you won't be)...And if you're not, you'll thank them later on down the road for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #81
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Don't forget to sign your organ donor card.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #82
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Whatever you do, dont get a used helmet! Your melon is probley the most important part when going down, and its that piece of plastic on your head that will save your life! I rode all throughout summer on my r6 and went down beginning of summer! Luckily it was minor bruises!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #83
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Damn...all of these posts in this thread are the reason why I just completely ignore my want to get a bike. Too much risk. Too many idiots. Too unsafe. But god it looks fun.

Razzy, you better listen to these guys. Get the 250cc and get the best gear. You will thank them if ever you are in a crash (hopefully you won't be)...And if you're not, you'll thank them later on down the road for the advice.
Dude, these guys dont even know how much i appreciate their responses, whether they are what i want to hear or not. i might be arrogant when it comes to deciding what motorcycles to get but i wont be arrogant when it comes to the great responses peopel have given me. It litterally renewed my hope about being on the internet. I figured i would get smartasses telling me to go gearless on a 1300cc hayabusa, but what i got was extremely logical answers. I honestly thank each and everyone of you. i never knew the internet could have soo many understanding and helpful people on the otherside. Heck these people do not even know me. My friends tell me not to get a bike , but you guys give me assurance and tips,something i would never be able to get from anyone i know. I hope you guys understand why i am the way i am. So keen on getting a 600cc, theres plenty of reasons. Looks, Longevity, Fun Factor, and somehow i feel i will be much more content with the 600cc. When i used to pretend to ride a motorcycle when i was young i always imagined myself on one of those 600cc, even if i could not comprehend the differences between dieing and living.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #84
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

squid lol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #85
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
+1 squids don't know anything yet

kids that learn right get alot more respect points from me, but its hard to resist the urge to step up to a bike like that. When i was 16 I was sneaking out my dad's litre sports bike and guess what... I went in to hot and learned what sliding off the road is like in jeans. Its not just the power, its alot more bike...

anyone that rides alot knows atleast 1 person that has a pretty serious wreck on a bike. You need to protect yourself

anyhoo goood luck.
Lol what did your dad do?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #86
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep
Drives: '21 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
squid lol
Gotta love em... So many around here too.
      12-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #87
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Care to define squid?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #88
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Squid is someone who rides with no helmet with flipflops/shorts/loafers/etc etc. no protective gear.
see pic
Attached Images