BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
Sy1616
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I never understood car interior air fresheners. I mean, does the inside of your car stink?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #24
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Be careful what you use. Many frangranced products are made with toxic chemicals. Even if they don’t bother you, those things could give other people terrible headaches or put them into shock. Schools have had to ban certain products, like Axe body spray, because some people are so allergic and the chemicals are so toxic they can die from them.

My best advice is essential oils. From a reputable company, not super cheap. You can get them on amazon, in pretty much any scent you want and in many blends. You can use a little diffuser pad, or just dab a drop or two onto a paper towel and put it somewhere inconspicuous.

Be sure you are buying essential oil NOT fragrance oils.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #25
b92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

this guy

I'm a big fan of the aroma that comes with reapplying Zaino leather conditioner
      07-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #26
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy1616 View Post
I never understood car interior air fresheners. I mean, does the inside of your car stink?
Haha, nope. Still smells brand new. I just want to try out different smells all the time.
      07-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #27
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Haha, nope. Still smells brand new. I just want to try out different smells all the time.
Essential oils would be good for that. I have hundreds of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #28
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [4.50]
Got any suggestions for me to try out?
      07-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #29
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4rD0nM3 View Post
Got any suggestions for me to try out?
Anything that you like the scent. The fir tree family would be great - spruce, fir needle, cedar, copaiba balsam, juniper berry, gosh they are endless.

If you like citrus, you can get lemon, lime, lots of different orange oils, and also lots of blends. Bergamot is a type of citrus people don’t eat, but it is used in earl grey tea. So if you like earl grey, you would probably like bergamot.

To get rid of stinks like cigarette smoke smell, the melaleuca is great. I like the smell but some people don’t. To me it smells clean and somewhat woody. Peppermint also is good. I’m not crazy about wintergreen and spearmint, stick with peppermint. Peppermint also will discourage both bugs and rodents in the home.

You also can get lots of sweet floral oils - personally I’m not a fan but some good ones would be helichrysum, ylang ylang is popular and lots of people love lavender.

I also love myrrh, frankincense and patchouli, the traditional eastern scents. They are mostly made from wood-like plants, so aren’t sweet.

You only need a tiny amount. They are very strong. One drop on a cotton ball will probably produce plenty of scent in a space as small as a car.

So I suggest you get a kit that has a bunch of different oils, but in small bottles. That way you can test them out.

Don’t buy the super cheap ones coming out of China. God only knows what they are made from. On amazon some brands I like are Now, miracle botanicals, plant therapy. Duterra are probably the most expensive but you have to buy them from a dealer, which can be found online.

I buy all of mine from a company called melaleuca, but it is a membership with monthly purchase. I use all their cleaning and personal products, as well as their vitamins. I trust them to sell only high quality oils, and they have many to choose from.

Don’t bother with those car diffuser gadgets. Just put a little on any absorbent material, like cotton ball or pad or paper towel, and tuck it away somewhere in the car. The oils could leave a stain, so put it in a little container, baggie, or Dixie cup or sometching like that. But I don’t think they would bother the plastic or faux leather on the car’s storage bins.

Essential oils are fascinating and fun. Once you start looking into them, it gets very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #30
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’ve never used any scents in a car, and I generally don’t like being exposed to cleaning chemicals, which is why I only use melaleuca cleaning products. I even use their glass cleaner in my windshield-washer fluid.

But you’ve got me thinking. I have some tiny bottles and I think I will make up a selection of essential oils to take in the car. In my house I use diffusers in the winter.

One of my favorites is sage. Saging the house with smudge smoke is kinda messy, but when my husband acts up I just diffuse some sage oil and things get calm pretty quick!

I also tried Palo Santo, but the scent is pretty spicy. I’ll stick with sage (NOT Clary Sage, which is completely different).
Appreciate 0