BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Randall0208
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 bmw 535xi

p2271 p2096

My 09 bmw 535xi has p2271 and p2096
Apparently from what I've read the codes mean:
P2271 BMW - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 2
P2096 BMW - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1

I hooked up a smoke tester on the vacuum system and found smoke coming out from the back part of the motor. I could not tell exactly, but I narrowed it down to the plastic tube that hooked up to the valve cover. I couldn't tell if that was the actual cause because it cracked and broke into a bunch of pieces when I was taking it off so I replaced it. I did a smoke test again with that part replaced and did not see any more smoke. I cleared the codes and ran the car for a while. Every now and then the car has a hard start, it will crank for longer than usual or it will sputter once or twice when starting. I ignored it because I finally got the check engine light to go away. It stayed away for a week and now it's back for the same codes. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm thinking about smoke testing it again and if that's not it could it be a leaky injector that is also causing the hard start occasionally?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall0208 View Post
My 09 bmw 535xi has p2271 and p2096
Apparently from what I've read the codes mean:
P2271 BMW - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 2
P2096 BMW - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1

I hooked up a smoke tester on the vacuum system and found smoke coming out from the back part of the motor. I could not tell exactly, but I narrowed it down to the plastic tube that hooked up to the valve cover. I couldn't tell if that was the actual cause because it cracked and broke into a bunch of pieces when I was taking it off so I replaced it. I did a smoke test again with that part replaced and did not see any more smoke. I cleared the codes and ran the car for a while. Every now and then the car has a hard start, it will crank for longer than usual or it will sputter once or twice when starting. I ignored it because I finally got the check engine light to go away. It stayed away for a week and now it's back for the same codes. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm thinking about smoke testing it again and if that's not it could it be a leaky injector that is also causing the hard start occasionally?
There were some old threads on this in the e90 forum. Sounded like the solution was via TSB to flash the DME. Other than that, people threw a lot of parts at it to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Randall0208
Registered
Rep

If you wouldn't mind could you link me one if you can find one? I don't really understand what you meant by flashing the DME
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind could you link me one if you can find one? I don't really understand what you meant by flashing the DME
It means reprogramming the DME with updated software. Their is a TSB from several years ago out there discussing it. A simple search of the e90 forums with those codes will show you the results.

Some people solved it with adjusting the O2 sims in their modded cars, but I'm assuming yours is stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Randall0208
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
It means reprogramming the DME with updated software. Their is a TSB from several years ago out there discussing it. A simple search of the e90 forums with those codes will show you the results.

Some people solved it with adjusting the O2 sims in their modded cars, but I'm assuming yours is stock.
I appreciate the response, I found the threads you were talking about they seem to be on mostly modded and tuned cars, mine is stock. But I could be wrong, if it is still a possible solution among the stock cars how would you update the DME software is that a dealership type of thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post

I appreciate the response, I found the threads you were talking about they seem to be on mostly modded and tuned cars, mine is stock. But I could be wrong, if it is still a possible solution among the stock cars how would you update the DME software is that a dealership type of thing?
If you're asking, it's a dealership thing. It was addressed in a TSB. You might able to get an Indy to do it also.
Appreciate 0