E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Jet Black - hard to keep good

01-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

lol, I bought a MF wash mitt from Bavauto, and ended up using it for my wheels and non-paint areas. Only skeepskin mitts for my finish.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #24
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
Oh my!!!

It's no wonder you have swirl marks!

First and foremost, forget the pressure wash. Depending on the amount of pressure, you may actually be pushing dirt into your clearcoat.

Next, do not use a sponge to wash. Get yourself a two sheep skin wash mitts. These mits are soft and they have a deep knap that will pull in dirt away from the paint as you glide it over. Sponges have no knap. Any dirt that gets trapped will just rub against the paint, effectively turing your sponge into sand paper. Use one mitt for every part of the car above the middle of the door, and the other for every part below the middle of the door. Start washing from the roof and work your way down, doing all horizontal panels first. Also keep another bucket of clean water on hand. Dunk the mitt into this bucket between cleaning each panel to remove any trapped dirt. Always wash wheels and wheel wells first with their own dedicated wash mitt, then wash the rest of the car after.

Next, do not ever wash your car with just water. Always use car wash soap. Car wash soap will provide lubricity that will help the mitt glide over the paint as well as dissolve and remove dirt safely and effectively.

Your drying routine is ok, except do not use a synthetic shammy. They are not as gentle as a large Waffle Weave Microfiber towels (which I recommend).

I have my own washing guide in Detailing 101 with more tips. Seriously, give it a read. If you want to keep your car looking nice, then read the whole 101. It is worth it.
O.k. thank you for the tips.

I always make sure that the sponge is clean. I clean it almost after every stroke and as I said I use a lot of water all the time. Maybe this is just not enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #25
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Your welcome. I hope I could help.

But like I said before, water alone is not enough, no matter how much you use. Seriously, try my method. I think you will see a drastic reduction in swirl marks.
Appreciate 0