BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

08-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
Omega fit and finish is better than Rolex. And I say this as a Rolex/Pam guy who owns no Omegas at this time.
I would have to disagree with you on that.. and I own both
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
Omega fit and finish is better than Rolex. And I say this as a Rolex/Pam guy who owns no Omegas at this time.
Out of curiosity to what aspect of "finish"are you referring?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #47
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
I would have to disagree with you on that.. and I own both
I agree and also own both.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #48
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Since when did "fit and finish" assessments become a matter of personal opinion? That there's no consensus on which brand boasts superior "fit and finish" is testament to its uselessness as a horological quality indicator.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #49
tcpsoft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Ladies love the Timex Ironman. Casio G-Shock is probably of slightly higher quality plastic but doesn't have the bling-factor of the classic Ironman.

2015 M3 DCT (sold)
2008 Lotus Exige S240 - too many mods to list (sold)
2007 Lotus Exige S (RIP)
2006 MINI Cooper S (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #50
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Since when did "fit and finish" assessments become a matter of personal opinion? That there's no consensus on which brand boasts superior "fit and finish" is testament to its uselessness as a horological quality indicator.
I think the problem is that as goes exterior fit and finish (most folks never see the inside of a Rolex) there's not much difference between a $500 watch and a $50K watch. There's just not any actual superiority to be found in terms of F&F; among' similar watch-type offerings, nearly all the brands are pretty much equal.

Once in a while, I come across an ergonomic design aspect that is better on one brand than on another. For example, I can, without the aide of my glasses, read the date on a Rolex Oyster watch; I can't read it on my Omega Constellation, and on my Deep Blue T-100, I can barely discern the aperture for the date, let alone the actual date, which I can't see with or without glasses. (It's been so long since I wore my Seamaster I couldn't tell you that I can still read the date. The last time I wore it, I could.)

Construction varies among watch brands, but at the Omega and Rolex levels (even before one gets that far up the pricing scale), construction quality tends to be as good as it's going to get for a given type of watch. Also, engineering techniques and the innovation associated with the design of a movement varies among brands and specific watches. For example, more and more makers these days are shifting to silicon components for all or part of some of the movement parts' because that material has sufficient structural strength, surpasses the metal in that it wears more slowly, and it's not susceptible to magnetic fields. Omega has implemented the co-axial escapement throughout most of, if not all, of their mechanical watches, so on the innovation front, they are a step ahead of Rolex.

The thing about innovations is sometimes they have a practical benefit to the typical consumer and sometimes they don't. For example, I'm pretty sure silicon parts are less dear than metal ones, particularly gold ones and rhodium plated ones, but I can promise you the price of the watches using silicon parts isn't going down in comparison the same watch model that was made with all metal parts. The maker's profits, however, will surely increase. The co-axial escapement is a brilliant innovation, but it necessarily makes a watch's movement thicker and yet collectors who care about innovation would prefer a thinner watch because the thinner a movement is, the more difficult it is to create, especially if the movement is an automatic one, so thinner speaks greater volumes to the maker's skill.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #51
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I've been wearing my Rolex Expy II for about a year and a half. You know how many people have noticed it is a Rolex? Zero (or if they did, they didn't say anything). You know how many people have even noticed my watch and cared enough about it to make conversation involving me disclosing it is a Rolex? One (a guy who I worked with that was into watches) and he originally thought it was a Tag.

I've been wearing my Omega Speedmaster for about 6 months. Again, you know how many people have noticed it is a $4000.00 watch? Zero. In all my time owning my Rolex, you know how many people I have seen wearing a Rolex besides me? Three. Two of them were doctors that were treating me or my wife, and yes, I do pay attention to the watches people wear because I am interested in nice watches.

The point is, who cares? The average person doesn't care enough to notice, or even try to see what kind of watch you are wearing. You can't tell without getting a foot away from the watch and looking at it for a few seconds to read the name anyways, and that just won't happen often. If someone knows enough about watches to notice you are wearing a Rolex just by looking at it as you wave your hands around in front of them, chances are they are "watch people" themselves and are likely more "okay" with your lavish, expensive and self-indulgent choice in timepiece.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #52
bunnysloper
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 F10, '09 MBZ C300

I think it comes down to a matter of preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #53
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I wouldn't judge anyone for what watch they wear (as long as it's not a glaring fake).

I wear my stainless Rolex GMT Master II pretty every day. I have a Tag Heuer Link Auto Chrono tucked away since the movement gave me some issues. Currently looking for a Cartier Ballon Bleu de Cartier (stainless, leather) as a more understated dress watch that I can wear on occasion.

I've had the Rolex for about 4 years now, still love wearing it every day. Still looks like new. I would most likely always take a Rolex over an Omega personally (I do think Rolex is in a slightly higher tier), but again, I would never look down on someone wearing either watch.

Long term goals would be something like a Patek, Audemars or something like a Bregeut Tourbillion
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #54
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

A decent Rolex is going to be priced at $20K+ while most Omega watches are around $1 to $4K. Very different league between a Rolex and Omega.

One thing is for sure about the Omega brand is that they hold value very well. I had a Omega Seamaster that I purchased in 2007 for $1,900 and sold it a few weeks ago at Torneau for $1,100. I'm sure Rolex are pretty good too.

I currently wear my Omega Planet Ocean that I purchased in 2008 for $3,750 which is in great condition.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #55
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
I've been wearing my Rolex Expy II for about a year and a half. You know how many people have noticed it is a Rolex? Zero (or if they did, they didn't say anything). You know how many people have even noticed my watch and cared enough about it to make conversation involving me disclosing it is a Rolex? One (a guy who I worked with that was into watches) and he originally thought it was a Tag.

I've been wearing my Omega Speedmaster for about 6 months. Again, you know how many people have noticed it is a $4000.00 watch? Zero. In all my time owning my Rolex, you know how many people I have seen wearing a Rolex besides me? Three. Two of them were doctors that were treating me or my wife, and yes, I do pay attention to the watches people wear because I am interested in nice watches.

The point is, who cares? The average person doesn't care enough to notice, or even try to see what kind of watch you are wearing. You can't tell without getting a foot away from the watch and looking at it for a few seconds to read the name anyways, and that just won't happen often. If someone knows enough about watches to notice you are wearing a Rolex just by looking at it as you wave your hands around in front of them, chances are they are "watch people" themselves and are likely more "okay" with your lavish, expensive and self-indulgent choice in timepiece.
Maybe you should start wearing them OUTSIDE of your house.

Just like someone previous posted. You will only get compliments on your watch from someone who knows watches and has a similar one them self.

Its the same argument on other threads on M specific colors, some ppl are hard over on getting this because it will highlight their car as a ///M, but the the average car driver, they just notice it as a yellow, orange or blue car, not an ///M.

But back on topic, I have 3 Omegas, my wife has one and we love them and we don't think they are "pretentious" or "ostentatious" at all. I never went for a Rolex because ppl think its fake due to the proliferation of fake Rolex's....but then again copying is the highest form of flattery.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #56
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
A decent Rolex is going to be priced at $20K+ while most Omega watches are around $1 to $4K. Very different league between a Rolex and Omega.
Dark Side of the Moon retails for 9,400 euro and it's Beautiful and sporty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #57
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

That's nice but again majority of Omegas are cheaper in price compared to Rolex.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #58
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
That's nice but again majority of Omegas are cheaper in price compared to Rolex.
Probably true, I was just trying to point out that there are more expensive Omegas than $4K.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #59
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
A decent Rolex is going to be priced at $20K+
I guess you're only looking a precious metal rolexes, as most SS ones are around $10K.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #60
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One thing is for sure about the Omega brand is that they hold value very well. I had a Omega Seamaster that I purchased in 2007 for $1,900 and sold it a few weeks ago at Torneau for $1,100. I'm sure Rolex are pretty good too.

I currently wear my Omega Planet Ocean that I purchased in 2008 for $3,750 which is in great condition.
You really should refrain from making assertions such as that one, for which there is zero support. Among uncomplicated Rolex Oysters, the only meaningful differences are:
  • the size of the watch itself
  • the metals from which they are constructed
  • the styling options and defaults
  • in the case of the Milgauss, the presence of a Faraday cage inside the case
http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers

Even moving to Oysters having complications, one need not at all spend $20K to get a "decent" Oyster. Truly, I don't even think the Rolex Cellini models, which offer more lavish movement decoration and styling costs $20K (new). Indeed, for $20K one has enough to buy a Cellini Time, uncomplicated, dress Rolex and a steel Submariner or other uncomplicated Oyster.

As far as most intrinsic concerns go, the only substantive difference between a Rolex Oyster and a comparable Omega is the price. In terms of intangible factors that matter to some serious collectors, Omegas having co-axial escapement movements have the far more horologically and technically notable movement inside. Among vintage pieces, there are certainly more Rolex models that are in greater demand, but that demand has more to do with what Rolex has done for itself, both in terms of (1) securing a solid reputation for making tough, work horse movements and cases, and (2) in inuring itself among the upper middle classes as the benchmark against which all others are measured than it does with the watches themselves being particularly special in a horological sense.

All the best.

Last edited by tony20009; 05-06-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #61
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Buy a watch because it speaks to you, not for it's status. I have a Rolex Sea Dweller that I bought years ago, I was working as a commercial diver and actually took the watch in the water for what it's intended purpose was. I also have a vintage Speed Master Professional, I love the watch and it's history. I bought my wife an Omega Sea Master 44 mm with Orange strap, she loves it because it's chuncky and Orange, and I bought her a Rolex Yacht Master for a more subdued look. I'm not a watch snob, I like nice things that speak to me and I like stuff that isn't cookie cutter. I sold my 911 because you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one, I bought my Z4MC because I love the thing, and I love that it's unique.

If you want to buy a watch, buy one that speaks to you, not one that will speak to other people. If that's a G-Sport or Timex Ironman than so be it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #62
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

One of the interesting developments I've seen is that used omegas are now commanding a higher value with the co-axial escapement and of course their dark side of the moon edition. Whether that will be true long-term or is just a more recent phenomenon who knows. But for now, a co-axial omega speedmaster is trading at a 100% premium compared to older models. And a dark side of the moon speedmaster is trading close to it's MSRP on the used market.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #63
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post

Exactly this for me too. I had a brand new GMT II...1 person noticed it in the 4 years I had it...same deal with my Omega Seamster Chrono. Most people just aren't into watches.

Funny thing...my boss wears an AP as one of a few high-end watches join his rotation. I noticed it and let him know it was nice. I guarantee no one ever mentioned it before....most of the very high end watches aren't on peoples radar...

BTW, the quality of the Rolex vs. Omega was night and day. Rolex fit and wore so much better than my Omega. You can tell the difference...Toyota to Lexus, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #64
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

What is the typical discount offered on new Submariners Date?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #65
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
What is the typical discount offered on new Submariners Date?
7% or less is all one should expect on the stainless steel ones. On the gold and gem studded ones, ~20% isn't uncommon.

Might one be able to wrangle a higher discount? I suppose anything's possible given the right circumstances.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #66
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
One of the interesting developments I've seen is that used omegas are now commanding a higher value with the co-axial escapement and of course their dark side of the moon edition. Whether that will be true long-term or is just a more recent phenomenon who knows. But for now, a co-axial omega speedmaster is trading at a 100% premium compared to older models. And a dark side of the moon speedmaster is trading close to it's MSRP on the used market.
I didn't realize the recent versions of the Speedy co-axials sell for double the price of recent Speedy Pros in the pre-owned market, but it doesn't surprise me that they do. Provided the watch carries a 2500D or later co-axial (or the chrono movement based on the 2500D), it's a technically superior movement in most every practical way except for the necessary added thickness it forces a watch case to have.

I doubt they'll ever surpass the vintage Speedy Pros among collectors, but the vast majority of pre-owned watch buyers aren't collectors. (http://www.fratellowatches.com/omega...-guide-part-1/ and http://www.fratellowatches.com/speed...-guide-part-2/) They are just folks who want a nice watch at a better price than they'd have to buy were they to buy it new.

All the best.

Appreciate 0