BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

moar wuddufuxlolbbq

I think John made the last two a bit too easy... so let's see who solves this.

You walk into your BMW dealership and a greeted by the general manager (GM). He tells you that you have the opportunity to win a brand new E92 M3 and ten million dollars, and all you have to do to win is make a choice. Being the BMW fan that you are you sign up for the contest without really reading the rules.

The rules to the contest are as follows.

- You will be presented with three brand new E92 M3s that are all exactly the same.

- In the trunk of one of the three M3s there is a briefcase containing ten million U.S. dollars.

- The trunks of the other two cars are wired to explode when opened.

- The GM asks you to pick one of the three cars.

- You make your selection.

- After making your selection the GM will show you a bomb in the trunk of one of the two cars that you did not pick.

- After showing you the bomb contained in the trunk of one of the two cars that you did not pick, the GM will offer you the chance to change your car selection.

The question is simple. Do you change your selection after the GM shows you a bomb in one of the two cars that you didn't initially pick? If yes, why? If no, why? An explanation is required, a simple yes or no answer will not suffice.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Yes ... but only if he's standing further from it than my original selected car. The guy does not wanna get blow away when I open the wrong trunk.

Fair enough?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Haha this is a great riddle i remember hearing this from someone a few years back. If i can recall correctly, there is no 100% correct answer to this questions- its actually a very highly debatable question among many statistic experts from what i've heard (seriously). The thing is, many people believe switching the cases at the last minute actually increases your odds my x% or some number. I forget the depth of it but im gonna figure out why and come back, its actually pretty interesting...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
yes you change you answer because initially you had a 33.3% chance of getting it right....take one out and your chances are now 50/50...watch the movie "21" and this riddle is in it...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Yes ... but only if he's standing further from it than my original selected car. The guy does not wanna get blow away when I open the wrong trunk.

Fair enough?
Let's assume that you are the only person within the blast radius of the bombs. I like your thinking though. I guess I should have been more thorough.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco35Dream View Post
yes you change you answer because initially you had a 33.3% chance of getting it right....take one out and your chances are now 50/50...watch the movie "21" and this riddle is in it...
yup he's correct, i just googled it and in simple terms, first you have a 1 out of 3 chance to choose the correct box, but then by the GM showing you 1 empty box, your odds become 2/3 or something like that...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e82mon View Post
yup he's correct, i just googled it and in simple terms, first you have a 1 out of 3 chance to choose the correct box, but then by the GM showing you 1 empty box, your odds become 2/3 or something like that...
yes that's what i was trying to get at...your odd's increase to 2/3 on the last case that wasn't picked originally.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
I think John made the last two a bit too easy... so let's see who solves this.

You walk into your BMW dealership and a greeted by the general manager (GM). He tells you that you have the opportunity to win a brand new E92 M3 and ten million dollars, and all you have to do to win is make a choice. Being the BMW fan that you are you sign up for the contest without really reading the rules.

The rules to the contest are as follows.

- You will be presented with three brand new E92 M3s that are all exactly the same.

- In the trunk of one of the three M3s there is a briefcase containing ten million U.S. dollars.

- The trunks of the other two cars are wired to explode when opened.

- The GM asks you to pick one of the three cars.

- You make your selection.

- After making your selection the GM will show you a bomb in the trunk of one of the two cars that you did not pick.

- After showing you the bomb contained in the trunk of one of the two cars that you did not pick, the GM will offer you the chance to change your car selection.

The question is simple. Do you change your selection after the GM shows you a bomb in one of the two cars that you didn't initially pick? If yes, why? If no, why? An explanation is required, a simple yes or no answer will not suffice.
i got another amazing riddle like that if u want lol
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco35Dream View Post
I am not sure if that makes such a difference in this case because the cars are not shuffled like a 3 Card Monte trick. It does not sound right logically.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
I am not sure if that makes such a difference in this case because the cars are not shuffled like a 3 Card Monte trick. It does not sound right logically.
No shuffling required

Last edited by Monaco35Dream; 03-17-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
It's called the Monty Hall Problem, if you want a mathematical explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Just use Bayes Rule to figure it out. But yes, you should always switch

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep

yea its a great riddle
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
radix
No_Country
Rep

I'm both impressed and disappointed that this was solved so quickly. Most people, when asked IRL, do not get the answer correct the first time. Many can't even grasp the concept once it's explained to them. Although I tried my best to mask the answer by changing all the terms in the problem to be more BMW-centric, I didn't expect two things:

1. The level of familiarity with the problem.
2. All the bright posters to chime in at the beginning of the thread.

I've feel as though I've failed to adequately challenge OT, but I've got more problems, although I'll have to change the wording on those as well to prevent simple google searches. I expected at least 3-4 pages of bickering. I will have my revenge OT. I will have my revenge.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i got another amazing riddle like that if u want lol
Please do post it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
More!! I just saw that movie last week though so it was really fresh in my mind...I admit I kinda cheated
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #16
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm both impressed and disappointed that this was solved so quickly. Most people, when asked IRL, do not get the answer correct the first time. Many can't even grasp the concept once it's explained to them. Although I tried my best to mask the answer by changing all the terms in the problem to be more BMW-centric, I didn't expect two things:

I've feel as though I've failed to adequately challenge OT, but I've got more problems, although I'll have to change the wording on those as well to prevent simple google searches. I expected at least 3-4 pages of bickering. I will have my revenge OT. I will have my revenge.
nah that was a great riddle man, keep posting this could turn into a fun thread! their fun to think about and try to figure out if youve never heard them before...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:

Haha, I've taken an Economics of Uncertainty course, which covered this so I've heard it before, but any new ones that you have would definitely be great to hear! Post more!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
Haha, I've taken an Economics of Uncertainty course, which covered this so I've heard it before, but any new ones that you have would definitely be great to hear! Post more!

Will do. I've got what I think is the hardest riddle I've ever solved. It took me 30-45 minutes and pen and paper to figure it out. Before I post it, I have to hack the hell out of it to make sure that it's not easy to google the answer. I'll post it later this evening. The only problem is that it is also fairly well known.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
e82mon
The Ice Cream Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do. I've got what I think is the hardest riddle I've ever solved. It took me 30-45 minutes and pen and paper to figure it out. Before I post it, I have to hack the hell out of it to make sure that it's not easy to google the answer. I'll post it later this evening. The only problem is that it is also fairly well known.

have one just like that did the same thing to me... we might have the same 1 lol!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
nah that was a great riddle man, keep posting this could turn into a fun thread! their fun to think about and try to figure out if youve never heard them before...
+1 ...After reading through a million mindless posts here (which I am also guilty of contributing my share of it, BTW ), it's refreshing to see this sort of mind challenges.

MOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, please!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

yes you do, you have to account for variable change. it may seem that you now have a 50% chance to win, but you now have a ~66% chance at winning. after a bomb is revealed you have a 1/3 chance of choosing the bomb and 2/3 chance of winning and fapping
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #22
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

asfdadfasdf i didnt read the thread, looks like im a little late
Appreciate 0