BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-29-2020, 01:53 AM   #89
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Gas dropped ~50 cents a gallon here the last 2 days. Stores with the highest turnovers dropped first, then the other stores followed.
I hate you people and your cheap gas. Finally dropped under $3 a gallon for regular f'ng unleaded. Out here on the west coast, anything goes wrong with oil our prices go up 2 seconds later. Prices drop for oil, we may see a drop 2 months later. Last time at the pump (2 weeks ago) premium was $3.50/g, drove by today and regular was $2.95, so down maybe 15 cents/g
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #90
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-m3 View Post
Quote:
Gas dropped ~50 cents a gallon here the last 2 days. Stores with the highest turnovers dropped first, then the other stores followed.
I hate you people and your cheap gas. Finally dropped under $3 a gallon for regular f'ng unleaded. Out here on the west coast, anything goes wrong with oil our prices go up 2 seconds later. Prices drop for oil, we may see a drop 2 months later. Last time at the pump (2 weeks ago) premium was $3.50/g, drove by today and regular was $2.95, so down maybe 15 cents/g
I wonder if it could be because CA taxes gas at a higher rate than any other state? It's like 80¢ per gallon in taxes. That never goes away so CA is just used to paying higher for gas.

This isn't related but worth pointing out.
I learned working for a company that ran gas stations that they make more money when price of oil drops, because they can ride the margin wider going down. When cost of oil rises, they ride the margin thinner. It seems counterintuitive but gas stations make more money as prices fall, than when they rise. The public thinks it's the opposite.

So the longer they take to lower the sale price, the more they make. At some point it's just competition between other nearby stations that drives it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      03-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #91
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Sorry man. I guess that's the price I pay for living in BFE. Our tax is a lot less and we are right on the major pipelines coming from the Gulf.

We are averaging $1.69 a gallon for lower grade, about $2.59 for 93 octane.

But I can drive 10 minutes into NC, and the price is automatically 20+ cents higher.
      03-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #92
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry man. I guess that's the price I pay for living in BFE. Our tax is a lot less and we are right on the major pipelines coming from the Gulf.

We are averaging $1.69 a gallon for lower grade, about $2.59 for 93 octane.

But I can drive 10 minutes into NC, and the price is automatically 20+ cents higher.
I paid $2.29 for 93 at a Costco in CT on Friday
Quote:
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #93
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

We're down to $1.65 last I saw, which was several days ago. With my usual rotten timing, I filled up just before the whole WFH thing started and prices dropped, so I still have nearly a full tank.

PSA: Remember to wear gloves if you get gas. Think how many people a day grab that pump nozzle.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #94
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
It's mind-blowing to me that gas prices are even brought up. I mean, if you don't drive for a living, why do you care?

If gas went to $8 a gallon tomorrow I would not blink my eyes. I don't care. I need it. I buy it at the price it is. I don't drive any more or less depending on that price. I don't look at the receipt. I have better things to do, like watch paint dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #95
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post

PSA: Remember to wear gloves if you get gas. Think how many people a day grab that pump nozzle.
Yup
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3508.50
RickFLM410873.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #96
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

^^^^This is what I'm sayin'.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      03-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #97
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It's mind-blowing to me that gas prices are even brought up. I mean, if you don't drive for a living, why do you care?

If gas went to $8 a gallon tomorrow I would not blink my eyes. I don't care. I need it. I buy it at the price it is. I don't drive any more or less depending on that price. I don't look at the receipt. I have better things to do, like watch paint dry.
I don't know about $8 a gallon but yeah, unless you are uber driver what do you care about gas prices? We need them to be high to compete against foreign producers.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #98
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

Because it's an expense that is for many a required expense. Can't really cut back on the amount of driving because you have to drive to work, go to the grocery store, see a doctor, etc. If that expense goes up, it affects other parts of a person's/family's budget. And with many people on the edge already with their budgets any increase in one expense can have a pretty profound negative affect overall.

For me, I'm fortunate as much of my transportation costs are covered by my company in mileage reimbursements. The vast majority of workers don't have this perk.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #99
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Because it's an expense that is for many a required expense. Can't really cut back on the amount of driving because you have to drive to work, go to the grocery store, see a doctor, etc. If that expense goes up, it affects other parts of a person's/family's budget. And with many people on the edge already with their budgets any increase in one expense can have a pretty profound negative affect overall.

For me, I'm fortunate as much of my transportation costs are covered by my company in mileage reimbursements. The vast majority of workers don't have this perk.
But many people who are so sensitive to fuel costs can choose to buy more fuel efficient cars like a used Prius instead of gas slurping SUVs and some can even take public transportation. I recognize that is not always possible, but I think it is possible for many.

I also recognize $8 would be an extreme change for a lot of people but $2 vs. $3 or even $4 shouldn’t be an enormous burden relative to other costs of owning a car, such as the cost of the vehicle, insurance, and repairs / maintenance. If it is then a surprise car repair or auto insurance hike is also going to unmanageable.
      03-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #100
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And with many people on the edge already with their budgets...
No need to say any more than that.

I also think that American's just need something to bitch about.

I mean, it's money, but what are they going to do, trade in their Dodge Charger for an Accord and negate any savings on gas with the additional purchase price?

American's like to cry about any little thing that they think is being "done to them", and coupled with living beyond their means, as a general rule, gas is an easy one to bitch about.

I just did the math, and honestly, if gas went to $20 a gallon it would not change a thing I do, place I go, or how much I drive. So $3 a gallon? $2? $5? Whothefuckcares?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #101
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Oh, now for some encouraging news. I just went and took a drive, it's such a beautiful day, and with the windows down, damn it's just that good rowing through the gears.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #102
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Gasoline price in the US hasn't materially changed in 30 years.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/realprices/
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #103
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Paying about 2.50 a gal for 93 here in NY and loving it.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
mc-m3204.00
      03-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #104
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Gas has gone down here a bit, but there are cops everywhere. Took the car out yesterday just to keep the battery charged and get everything up to temp and there were a total of zero opportunities to get on it a bit with all of our town's finest sitting in their hiding spots.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #105
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Finally paid under $3 here. $2.69 for 93. Still nothing to rave over. It was under $1 when I got my license. I feel old woohoo!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #106
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
I wonder if it could be because CA taxes gas at a higher rate than any other state? It's like 80¢ per gallon in taxes. That never goes away so CA is just used to paying higher for gas.

This isn't related but worth pointing out.
I learned working for a company that ran gas stations that they make more money when price of oil drops, because they can ride the margin wider going down. When cost of oil rises, they ride the margin thinner. It seems counterintuitive but gas stations make more money as prices fall, than when they rise. The public thinks it's the opposite.

So the longer they take to lower the sale price, the more they make. At some point it's just competition between other nearby stations that drives it down.
Not in CA. up in WA. our gas taxes are high, but not +$1 compared to the rest of the country.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 05:38 AM   #107
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hello BMW Experts!

I'm very happy to see more people jogging now that the clubs are closed.
IMHO, jogging is the best exercise for setting a healthy base. Studies are showing that a healthy base when young will pay large benefits when you are old.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #108
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Gas has gone down here a bit, but there are cops everywhere. Took the car out yesterday just to keep the battery charged and get everything up to temp and there were a total of zero opportunities to get on it a bit with all of our town's finest sitting in their hiding spots.
Not to ruin a good thing by discussing it, but a friends SO is a police officer here. They were told not to arrest anyone unless it was a major offense. I've been somewhat testing the waters with this. I drive like a gettaway driver 90% of the time anyway, but I have to say even I'm amazed at what the officers here are not doing. On my way in to work this morning, passed a car in the right lane doing 67 in 40 in front of an officer. He never even looked my way. I do realize this will eventually end and most likely with me getting pulled over; but....cheap gas and officers not pulling people over, I'd be a fool not to enjoy it while I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Finally paid under $3 here. $2.69 for 93. Still nothing to rave over. It was under $1 when I got my license. I feel old woohoo!
I paid $2.43 for 93 Saturday. The girlfriend and I were talking about gas prices when we were younger. I recall $.94/gal back in the day.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #109
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Dating myself here, but when I was a kid working as a gas jockey, gas at my station was 55 cents a gallon. Friend of mine worked at a former HoJos gas station along what is now Rt 3 in MA. Right on the highway. We used to marvel at how some folks would pay 75 cents a gallon at that station just to avoid getting off the highway.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:05 AM   #110
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

The mouse-over says, "We're not trapped in here with the coronavirus. The coronavirus is trapped in here with us."

XKCD

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00