BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
dwoodman
Rep
Drives: future BMW

which snow tires?

I live in Indiana so we dont get blizzards really but I have to get a set of winter wheels/tires for my 2007 550i with sport package.

I have been looking at 17" sets on tirerack.com. Not real sure which ones I really need: performance snow or studless snow and ice. There are probably only a handful of days per year where you actually drive in the deeper snow.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that these "winter tires" were garbage above 35F? Indiana is weird as one day it might be snowing and the next you might have 60 degrees. I want something SAFE that handles well and is good whether wet or DRY.

I was looking at Blizzaks though not sure which ones to get. On tirerack they had them listed under the build your own combo but now they are not listed???
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
mjsmn
Rep
Drives: 2005 550i - Manual!!

I, like you, just picked up a CPO 2007 550 this week. I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 mounted on Rial Salernos. They should be here on Monday ... so no real world experience yet for me.

I needed something ASAP (live in MN and weather can turn at any time) so I wanted something I could get immediately. I didn't want run flats, and wanted some semblance of performance. That's how I ended up with the PA3. Hopefully they'll keep me out of trouble!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
suthurnbimmur
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i

I am going into the second season on my Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and have been really happy with them. Like you guys stated, you want a winter tire that performs well when it snows and when its dry and thats why I went with these. They also have more of a low profile look rather than a bulky winter tire. Check out the link for more info that them and others. Good Luck...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
dwoodman
Rep

did you guys order 17" instead of 18"?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
mjsmn
Rep

I went with 17 - less $, more forgiving for potholes
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
dwoodman
Rep

curious, why did you choose performance snow instead of studless ice/snow tires? thats been my dilemma. In MN you will get alot more snow than me.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
mjsmn
Rep

I figured that with a car like this I'd kick myself if I had tires on it that made the car handle like crap. May as well try to enjoy it somewhat, even during the winter.

We also have a second car (family minivan) that would likely be the choice if we had to venture out in terrible weather, and I have the flexibility of working from home pretty much whenever I need to so I can avoid days that I know will be bad.

Finally, living in the metro area they're pretty good about clearing roads quickly. So while we may get a lot of snow, I'll rarely be going out into deep drifts.

Hopefully my logic holds up
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
suthurnbimmur
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodman View Post
curious, why did you choose performance snow instead of studless ice/snow tires? thats been my dilemma. In MN you will get alot more snow than me.
Like I stated above, I wanted it to perform/handle on dry roads too. Im not gonna be driving in snow all winter long, roads should be plowed most, if not, all the time. I live under a snowbelt and commuted an hour and a half each way to work last winter and my car and tires never failed me! Hopefully goes the same this year, lol.......

Winter driving really falls on the driver not on tires. If you go way too fast or aggresive for the condition then you will get in an accident. Get good enough tires and adjust your driving for each condition. Good Luck
Appreciate 0