BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
I would call myself a car enthusiast, having owned and enjoyed MKVII GTI (manual), E46 ZHP (manual), 987.1 Cayman S (manual), and F80 (DCT). I still like those cars, but having owned a Model 3 for 8 months now, I have not found a reason to get back to those fun ICE cars. And compared to the new BMW offerings, I just don't see anything better. Not saying the Model 3 is the best thing out there, as it has many drawbacks, but it is a very good street car.
I see BMW's problem as the auto industry drifting away from enthusiast cars containing a manual transmission to strictly automatics. The industry trend is towards non-driving tech applications and allowing safer use of distraction devices while driving. Collision avoidance technology is present in practically every new car being introduced. Collision avoidance is automatic braking, lane departure warnings, and blind sport monitoring. The Tesla has these technologies well mastered and are at a level above most other automakers. None of the collision avoidance tech works well with a manual transmission. Collision avoidance tech is not driver technology, it is non-driving technology because it removes the driver from completely operating the vehicle.

The advantage of Tesla has for car enthusiasts, of which you are one, is most all EVs are direct drive and have no transmission, so the drivetrain acts like a well-driven (enthusiast-driven) manual transmission where the drivetrain is always in the correct gear for the desired driving action. As a car enthusiast who enjoys and practices the art of driving, any ICE automatic transmission drivetrain is undesirable to me. Of the electrics I've driven, the direct-drive electric drivetrain is a suitable replacement for a manual transmission. Now if someone would make a non-butt-ugly (inside and out) 4-door sedan EV, then I'd consider replacing my E90. The Model 3 didn't get there.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      11-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Now if someone would make a non-butt-ugly (inside and out) 4-door sedan EV, then I'd consider replacing my E90. The Model 3 didn't get there.
Sadly all the good looking EV's are at a higher price tag anywhere from $70k+, Model S, Taycan, iPace, etc.
      11-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I've always loved cars and when I left San Diego in 2008 after living there for 10 yrs, BMW's (and Mercedes) where the cars to have, and they were just everywhere. A city (or county rather) with a fun car culture. Fast forward to 2019 - we stayed there this summer for a month - didn't see many bimmers, but boy where Tesla's everywhere. Coming back to the east coast one of my takeaways was Tesla is the next big thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0