BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #45
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Doc,

Found the story. It was in Oregon. Its at the bottom where the bear was shot in the head and kept coming.

Scary shit indeed... Also it was 4 rounds total.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...php?source=rss
And this was only a 260 pound bear. Yikes....
      07-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #46
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

daamn that was intense!!!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #47
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

They should make this into a movie!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I know one sure fire way to take care of any bear or rhino. This technique has worked for me every time over the last 30 years.

Don't go where the fucking bears and rhinos live.

This method can also be used for elephants, hippos and tigers.
AAAAAAAAAHAHAHA !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #49
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

LEASH!!! Omg I would have cried if the dog had died or got hurt.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

You were lucky, that could have ended much differently.

For next time, remember 1 word: Fire

Wild animals are afraid of fire. They can't control it, it's instinctual.

Remember, they dont know what a gun is, the loud noise may startle them, so they may run off, or not. If you hit them without killing them (see examples above) that just pisses them off more. They may die from the wound eventually, but not before tearing you a new one. Or, in your case, it's not easy to carry anything that's powerful enough to work.

Make an old fashioned torch (wrap a rag on the end of a stick, set it on fire), wave that in their face, and watch them back off, without fail.

It's not outlawed to carry that stuff, just be careful not to start some massive forest fire, and that will do the trick with just about any wild animal. Trust me, had a bear wander into a campsite (food wasnt sealed, my bad there), and he wasnt interested in leaving until I got a stick out of the campfire, and started waving it around, walking slowly towards him. His attitude changed in a real f-in hurry.

Few animals will run face first into an open flame, even to protect their babies. You wont have to harm them to get them to back off an let you escape.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #51
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
You were lucky, that could have ended much differently.

For next time, remember 1 word: Fire

Wild animals are afraid of fire. They can't control it, it's instinctual.

Remember, they dont know what a gun is, the loud noise may startle them, so they may run off, or not. If you hit them without killing them (see examples above) that just pisses them off more. They may die from the wound eventually, but not before tearing you a new one. Or, in your case, it's not easy to carry anything that's powerful enough to work.

Make an old fashioned torch (wrap a rag on the end of a stick, set it on fire), wave that in their face, and watch them back off, without fail.

It's not outlawed to carry that stuff, just be careful not to start some massive forest fire, and that will do the trick with just about any wild animal. Trust me, had a bear wander into a campsite (food wasnt sealed, my bad there), and he wasnt interested in leaving until I got a stick out of the campfire, and started waving it around, walking slowly towards him. His attitude changed in a real f-in hurry.

Few animals will run face first into an open flame, even to protect their babies. You wont have to harm them to get them to back off an let you escape.
Very true...

So I got a PM about this video against a bear. Look anything is possible but again I still stand by what I said earlier... You need a bigger caliber IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #52
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahmati View Post
HAHA thanks for all your comments, Why hello my American friends, lol I wish I could carry guns in the back country here in B.C. Canada. A hand gun here I think is a restricted weapon and to have one is a huge hassle. I did have mace but didn't use it clearly.
Owning a handgun is not a hassle but you can't carry one legally unless you have a wilderness carry permit, which is next to impossible to obtain. Carrying a rifle or shotgun is not a problem though. You may want to consider buying a pump action shotgun with a pistol grip. Some of them are short enough to fit in a backpack and are still classified as non-restricted.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by black335i View Post
If that was a black bear he would of killed your dog, brown bears are easily frightened unless forced. You should of left the dog and just pray he follows.
You've got it backwards. Black bears are smaller and frighten easily. Brown bears are larger and more aggressive. The general rule is that you can survive black bear encounters. But, if you run into a brown one, you're done.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Actually, both brown and black tend to avoid humans. Brown bears first instinct is to retreat which is the same for black bears.

When threatened however, a brown bear is more likely to stand their ground and charge. While a black bear may look for a tree. Although what we see as brown bear aggression is mostly them trying to scare you off. Unless you encounter a sow and cubs. In that case the black bear will calm down if she perceives her cubs to be safe. A brown bear may attack so she KNOWs her cubs are safe.

If ATTACKED, your more likely to survive a black bear attack. But your odds of being attacked are just as low no matter black or brown. You're much more likely to run into a black bear over a brown because the brown bears go out of their way to avoid humans a little more than black bears. If you're going to come across a bear and her cubs, make sure it's a black bear.

Wife and i were in colorado two weeks ago and did some evening hiking. She was desperate to see a bear. As we started down a trail 2 hours before sunset, a ranger popped out of the bushes to let us know that there was a bear sighting on this trail about an hour ago. This was a trail had lots of vegetation. If you saw a bear on this trail its because you were within 25 feet of it. ....i don't think i could have made more noise if i had a boom box with me. haha

Wife was pissed at me for being so loud.
      08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #55
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was on this Bear/acorn web site, and there was this video a bear shot of some 2-leg and it's dog trying to chase her and her cubs up a tree. She couldn't believe the stupid 2-leg wouldn't leave her alone after all her agressive charging and growling. She said the encounter made her shit in the woods!!!

The biggest discussion was whether to use the front or rear claws as the best way to get the dog away without getting bitten.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #56
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

^lol.

Used to camp a lot in eastern WA up near the Canadian border and the only bears I saw were black. One near a trail we were going down on 4 wheelers and another that decided to raid camp looking for food in the wee hours.

However, while walking up a trail with a .410 looking for grouse a momma cougar and her cub came around a bend about 100 feet in front of me. Cub turned left and went up the hill. Momma watched me for a few seconds. I honestly don't remember if I was frozen or backing up. She eventually turned left and went up the hill after her cub.

I don't think that .410 with bird shot would have done shit. Picked up a Ruger .357 for the next trip and never went into the woods without it again.

As far as this encounter goes, you have more balls than me. I would have found a different way or spent some quality nature time at the waterfall. No way I'd go that close to a bear.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #57
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
Picked up a Ruger .357 for the next trip and never went into the woods without it again
Appreciate 0