BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This is why things like home audio are hilarious. I went in to potentially purchase B&Ws and walked out with Martin Logans. Yes, very sensitive to placement and seating location (sound is very directed), but after listening to the ML ESLs, the B&Ws made me feel like I was listening with pillows over my ears. The clarity of electrostatic speakers is simply remarkable. I recently picked up the Martin Logan C2 center channel and it made a huge difference in sound distribution for surround listening.

As a company, I also think ML is remarkable in that they're perfectly fine with letting you take apart a speaker to troubleshoot. Never experienced that before.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
j_marinelli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang GT

Any one have experience with onwall speakers below:

Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-60:

Paradigm Millenia LP XL:

Looking at the configuration of the living room in our new home, On-wall speakers are a better bet I think for the front 3 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post

Paradigm Millenia LP XL:

Looking at the configuration of the living room in our new home, On-wall speakers are a better bet I think for the front 3 speakers.
I haven't heard any of these speakers personally, but I would be very wary about using either of them as a center channel speaker or more specifically either in a horizontal orientation. Speakers with MTM or in this case WMTMW designs oriented in a horizontal configuration suffer from what is called comb filtering/acoustical interference. This effect is due to two speakers producing the same audio which if one listens off axis (not dead center to the speaker), will receive the audio effect I mentioned comb filtering. Here's a graph of what I'm talking about:

With that said many manufacturers have been able to design around the physics which result in comb filtering to virtual eliminate the issue or reduce it's audible impact.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #26
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli

Paradigm Millenia LP XL:

As the former Paradigm Rep, and now affiliated with Def Tech, I am very familiar with both. As on-wall speakers go; it is difficult to do better than those options. Just be aware that compared to box, or in-wall speakers, there are sacrifices being made when choosing a speaker with an on-wall form factor.
      06-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone have good in-wall speakers they recommend using?

I have a Definitive Technology Sub from my past set up and thought about going with that brand since I have had great luck with the Sub but wanted to see what everyone else has had experience with (good and bad).

Any info is appreciated!
If you want a truly special setup, look at Artison Sketch LCRs up front. They are really really special and their setup requires only 2 physical speakers that contain LC and RC so its extremely clean and custom. What one should recognize is that the center channel quality and placement are extremely important in a multimedia setup. Artison solves the issue that most speakers present with their conf, which places the center channel directly in the center of the screen. This puts the sounds direct in line with the picture, unlike all other setups that place the center either below or above the screwn which throws the sound off from the image. I like Definitive and Niles and use them for my surrounds and rear channels and also have stereo setups thru the house and outside, but for home theater sound upfront, u cant beat Artison.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #28
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630
Quote:
Anyone have good in-wall speakers they recommend using?

I have a Definitive Technology Sub from my past set up and thought about going with that brand since I have had great luck with the Sub but wanted to see what everyone else has had experience with (good and bad).

Any info is appreciated!
If you want a truly special setup, look at Artison Sketch LCRs up front. They are really really special and their setup requires only 2 physical speakers that contain LC and RC so its extremely clean and custom. What one should recognize is that the center channel quality and placement are extremely important in a multimedia setup. Artison solves the issue that most speakers present with their conf, which places the center channel directly in the center of the screen. This puts the sounds direct in line with the picture, unlike all other setups that place the center either below or above the screwn which throws the sound off from the image. I like Definitive and Niles and use them for my surrounds and rear channels and also have stereo setups thru the house and outside, but for home theater sound upfront, u cant beat Artison.
Artison makes very respectable products that perform excellently. They offer some nice solutions for those whom can't or don't want to have a dedicated center channel... But let's not fool ourselves. Their design is still a sacrifice in performance. However well a pair of Artison perform, an equally capable LCR setup with a dedicated center is simply going to perform better.