BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Renting a car in Europe

I'm planning to rent a car to drive from Nice to Geneva during my vacation in September. Any recommendations on which rental companies to use/avoid or general tips on renting a car in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Back in 2009 we rented from Sixt in Germany. Everything went fine until a couple weeks after I got home. I got an email from Sixt saying they discovered rear end damage and that I needed to report it to my insurance company, yada, yada. I talk to my insurer who said this happens all the time with Sixt and don't worry about it, they'd pay it. I told them there was no damage and even the Sixt guy who inspected the car with a fine tooth comb when we returned it said it was fine. I told my insurer I would not submit a claim and I wrote back to Sixt telling them I'd be getting a lawyer and would report them to the German authorities if no damage was found. They wrote back and said it was a mistake and to forget about it.

Last fall we rented from Thrifty in the UK and this time I took pictures of the car. I also took the full insurance because I was worried about driving on the opposite side of the road. When we returned the car, the inspector found a scuffed rim on the left front and blamed it on me. My pics didn't really show the rims very well, so I couldn't fight it. I don't think I scuffed the rim. I think they took advantage of the fact I was an American heading back to the States who had full coverage and they wanted new rims. They kept telling me not to worry, it was fully covered and would cost me nothing (which was true).

My point in all this is to urge you to take detailed pics of whatever car you end up renting, including rims. Take pics before you move the car and again when you return it. If possible, get a pic of the person inspecting the car so you can prove when they were taken.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Heard bad things about Thrifty, especially in the islands, so wouldn't put it past them to be bad in general.

Would rent from a more top tier brand, one you recognize. Less issues in my experience. When I rented a car in Europe, I had no problems whatsoever, I don't remember who I used, but I'm sure it was a more recognizable brand (although thrifty is recognizable too I suppose). They didn't ding me for anything and the car was fantastic.

I originally requested / paid for a Volkswagen Bora, but when I got to the desk, they said they didn't have any left. So I got a free upgrade to an Audi 1.9L turbo diesel which was probably the nicest car I had driven at that point (was in university still). Had a lot of fun - that car would top out at 225 km/h on the flats, no more than 210 on a slight uphill incline, and once going down a hill I got it up to just over 245 km/h. All this was on autobahn of course.

Just make sure you can drive manual - figure you know, but good chance your car will not be auto. I had no problem and was actually secretly overjoyed that mine was a stick, but maybe others haven't bothered to learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

I rented an Opel Astra sportswagen from Europcar from May 5 - Jun 7th of this year. Very good pricing plus unlimited mileage! Put 10000km on a brand new car
Booking was done online 3 months in advance

Check with your visa company to see if you have any insurance coverage out of country. If you are traveling through London UK be careful of congestion areas because I got 2 tickets entering and exiting London. Darn paid routes..

Last edited by adriang; 08-11-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I usually deal with same co's we have here in US - Avis, Budget, Hertz. I find it easier to resolve any problems that may occur, and with corp. discount (or whatever deal you'll find on their site, deal sites, etc.) it's the cheapest (or close) option.

As other said, check with your credit co if they include insurance, and also check what countries are excluded - like AmEx excludes Italy and few more.

Last thing, credit cards with PINs are big in EU, and you won't be able to use US cards on many (if not all) self-checkout pumps... and many gas stations in EU operate like normal stores. i.e. they open late and close early. Around this moment you usually realize that while many EU things are nice and cute and whatever, 'Merica still rules...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
TheDoug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

While in Italy last year I used Budget and had no problems. They were the cheapest as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I used Hertz in Italy last year and it was fine. Prepare to pay an absolute fortune to pick up in one country and drop off in another.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
chango335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 35i Luxury, C450 AMG

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Back in 2009 we rented from Sixt in Germany. Everything went fine until a couple weeks after I got home. I got an email from Sixt saying they discovered rear end damage and that I needed to report it to my insurance company, yada, yada. I talk to my insurer who said this happens all the time with Sixt and don't worry about it, they'd pay it. I told them there was no damage and even the Sixt guy who inspected the car with a fine tooth comb when we returned it said it was fine. I told my insurer I would not submit a claim and I wrote back to Sixt telling them I'd be getting a lawyer and would report them to the German authorities if no damage was found. They wrote back and said it was a mistake and to forget about it.
LOL same thing happened to me in Germany while renting through Sixt. Rented a 2012 BMW 640d cabriolet. Took lots of pics of the car before returning it. Didn't see any damage. Then a few months later I get an email from Sixt saying that I damaged the front spoiler and that I owe them 2000 euros in repairs. Sent back a letter from my lawyer and pics outlining that I am not responsible for the damages. They then said don't worry about it and it was their mistake.

Tips? I would definitely buy the collision damage insurance offered by the rental company- that way they can't try to come after you for more money.
      08-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
FloreHecto
Registered
Rep
Drives: sdf fsf

I don't remember who I used.
      08-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
worst bump ever...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0