BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #683
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post

Unfortunately for me, it has been raining (medium to hard) almost all day this weekend so far. I haven't been able to do anything aside from dropping my mow height to 2.5" on Friday night. Wanted to get down to 2" then run the thatcher in some areas, core aerate, thrown down fert and a cocktail of fungicide & humic acid, and overseed but not happening this weekend and I doubt I'll have time to do anything until next weekend. My fall window is closing. I may just core aerate, fert/cocktail, and overseed the lawn at this point. Maybe even only cover some of the backyard instead of all of it.
what area are you in boss?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #684
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yep I had plans to do a lot this weekend but it was pretty windy and threatening to rain all day yesterday, with more of the same this morning. Too windy to use a spreader or sprayer. Well, at least I got to fertilize the palm trees, tabebuiaa, gardenia, Italian cypress and juniper yesterday.

Has anyone used Yard Mastery .172% Dithiopyr as a pre-emergent? LCN recommends fall application here to suppress crab grass and some other weeds that sprout up in fall / winter. I bought a 50 lb. bag from his site to try. Should provide with me 2 applications.
I never understood why put down pre emergent during the Fall to prevent weeds in the Springtime but yet we still put down pre emergent in the Springtime? for the last 2 seasons I have not noticed any difference with not putting down pre emergent in the Fall. at least for cool season lawns. Plus with Falltime most grasses are already getting prepared to go dormant so if anything the best thing to do that I notice that works for me is just to put down your last application of fertilizer
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:47 AM   #685
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I never understood why put down pre emergent during the Fall to prevent weeds in the Springtime but yet we still put down pre emergent in the Springtime? for the last 2 seasons I have not noticed any difference with not putting down pre emergent in the Fall. at least for cool season lawns. Plus with Falltime most grasses are already getting prepared to go dormant so if anything the best thing to do that I notice that works for me is just to put down your last application of fertilizer
Actually here is South Florida, we get weeds all year and they seem to appear en masse in late fall. I am going to try following Allyn’s suggestions this year and see how it works. (He actually suggests 2 fall applications here.)
      09-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #686
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Actually here is South Florida, we get weeds all year and they seem to appear en masse in late fall. I am going to try following Allyn’s suggestions this year and see how it works. (He actually suggests 2 fall applications here.)
That makes sense since you warm season guys don't see winters
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #687
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Yep, if I understand it correctly, some weeds start to appear once the soil temp decreases below 70 degrees, which is probably around this time next month or so (but difficult to predict).
      09-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #688
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Yo, ls, is it too late to put down new seed in our zone?

I'm going to do it this weekend and hope for the best, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #689
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Yo, ls, is it too late to put down new seed in our zone?

I'm going to do it this weekend and hope for the best, regardless.
Windows closing! My next door neighbor just did his today. I would say this is almost the last week to get any overseeding done before it's too late.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #690
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Recently finished a project to completely fence the yard. Hardest part was boring under 16' of concrete. Went solar on the gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #691
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Planning to add some solar lights on the top of each column.
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #692
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Boring under concrete is a freaking nightmare.
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #693
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Awesome project there! Looks like you're sitting on a pretty big lot
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #694
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome project there! Looks like you're sitting on a pretty big lot
About 5 acres...neighbors have 10 and 15 respectively.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #695
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! I can barely handle my .50 acre lol! I know what it cost just to maintain a .50 acre in regards to seeding, fertilizer, pre-post emergent and watering but I can't imagine what it would cost for the size you have or people with bigger lots. Can I ask you do you spend the money on maintaining that size of a lot and how much do you spend? Curious just because the wife wants a bigger lot and I'm already telling her how much it cost just with a .50 acre lot. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #696
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! I can barely handle my .50 acre lol! I know what it cost just to maintain a .50 acre in regards to seeding, fertilizer, pre-post emergent and watering but I can't imagine what it would cost for the size you have or people with bigger lots. Can I ask you do you spend the money on maintaining that size of a lot and how much do you spend? Curious just because the wife wants a bigger lot and I'm already telling her how much it cost just with a .50 acre lot. Thanks!
We have goats and donkeys to help - LARGE zero turn for the rest. Lol. It's not a manicured yard by any means.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #697
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
what area are you in boss?
Chicago 'burbs. Looks like we're going to get some evergreens planted in the back for privacy screening AND it is supposed to rain again this weekend. I think I'm just going to put down my prodiamine, humic, and a fert. I'll aerate the back but only spot seed in front. At least I am well stocked on grass seed for next year.

Quote:
I had a TON of weeds popping up recently. Dandelion, oxalis, spurge, clover. Frickin' crazy. I spot sprayed the front pretty good but left the back since some of them are annuals. The dandelion is perennial but I'll scorch them next spring.
      10-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #698
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm curious how broad the blades are.
so far as you can see the blades are still not as thick as you can see them within the thicker blades of grass since it's only been a few weeks since germination. according to Pete they will thicken but not so much since it is fall and less sunlight. hopefully next Spring is when i'll see how these will look

just put down my last fertilizer for Fall. the grass looks really nice, thick and lush. I have a neighborhood contractor who will be performing winterization so the last time I can use the sprinklers is Oct 17th. after that I will leave it up to mother nature

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #699
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeen View Post
My experience is pretty much the same. Youtube taught me well, but not without some minor troubles. Also I messed up my old lawnmower from ebay, it was cheap anyway, now I want something more efficient, maybe this. Also I'm making some renovation and that's why my backyard is currently looking like this, gonna test new seeds.
Sweet! what kind of seeds will you be using?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #700
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

What is winterization???

Things we don't do in FL. I did an all in one day treatment a few weeks ago. It's starting to work. Weeds are dying and grass is growing. I still have those spots were the grass is incredibly soft and carpet like. Densely bunched together.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #701
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

cut the lawn today. all the new seeds are doing well. blades are actually getting thicker. this variety really does make stripes pop!

Appreciate 4
RickFLM410879.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #702
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I finally got to overseeding this past weekend with a break in the rain. Hope its not too late into the fall as temps are already pretty low.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #703
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I finally got to overseeding this past weekend with a break in the rain. Hope its not too late into the fall as temps are already pretty low.
oooooo I think as long as temperatures are over 55 degrees you might be fine but temperatures continue to drop.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #704
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm gonna have some carrots!!!