BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #111
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I would post a picture but it is home we are buying, not vacant land for building...
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50
      07-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #112
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
This thread is seriously light on pictures.
That's admittedly true. I'll post some up this weekend.

We are finalizing the contract with the architect this week! It's a big investment out of pocket but we feel really confident in the firms abilities to design something we love, keep us on budget, and manage the project.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50
      07-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #113
DETRoadster
Rep

A few shots of our property. It's 1/2 an acre, flat, and loaded with beautiful trees. We were creating so much wood with chopping down a couple dead trees that I repurposed an old fence into a firewood shed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
kscarrol8889.50
vreihen1615140.50
nyalpine907423.50
mc-m3213.00
      07-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #114
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Killer lot, buddy! Can't wait to see the renderings from the architect.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      07-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #115
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_F36 View Post
Killer lot, buddy! Can't wait to see the renderings from the architect.
Thanks! We just discovered our architect lives in our neighborhood. He's coming over this week to review the proposal and timeline, and for us to sign the paperwork to get underway! It's an absurd amount of money but thankfully it's broken out in installments over the course of the project. Having him and his team to no only do the design but also manage the project and permitting will be worth it in the end.

We keep flip-flopping on modern vs. post and beam mid-century. Ultimately I think the final result will have themes from each. I told the guy "If Eichler, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Le Corbusier had a few too many drinks by the pool in Palm Springs, they would come up with what I want."
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615140.50
      07-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #116
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Thanks! We just discovered our architect lives in our neighborhood. He's coming over this week to review the proposal and timeline, and for us to sign the paperwork to get underway! It's an absurd amount of money but thankfully it's broken out in installments over the course of the project. Having him and his team to no only do the design but also manage the project and permitting will be worth it in the end.

We keep flip-flopping on modern vs. post and beam mid-century. Ultimately I think the final result will have themes from each. I told the guy "If Eichler, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Le Corbusier had a few too many drinks by the pool in Palm Springs, they would come up with what I want."
If he doesn't get your vision based on that direction, he shouldn't be practicing.

Super exciting, man! If we ever build new it will absolutely have an Eichler-esque center atrium.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11456.00
Littlebear3509.50
      07-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #117
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_F36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

If he doesn't get your vision based on that direction, he shouldn't be practicing.

Super exciting, man! If we ever build new it will absolutely have an Eichler-esque center atrium.
YES! The atrium is on my wish list. 100%. My wife thinks I'm nuts but she will see the genius once it's done.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #118
DETRoadster
Rep

Well Kids, we entered into "Phase 2" of the project. Phase 1 was buying the property. Phase 2 is signing the contract with the architect. it's a 7-month project plan from start (yesterday) through permit approval. However, he warned us that the permit approval piece was a total SWAG as the city had not bothered to return his call concerning their current wait times. LOL. So discounting permitting, it's 5 months from today through to having a finalized, buildable, packet ready to submit to the city for review.

Lots of meetings up front to gather info. We actually signed the papers at our house which gave the architect the ability to walk through to see our style, and for us to show him what works and what doesnt in our current place. it was a really fun meeting. Next week we meet again at the property and start to lay out where the house will sit, where the garage goes, driveway route, which trees have to come out, etc.

I'll post up photos as we hit major milestones and of course any tips/tricks we learn along the way.

I guess one tip I can give now is with architect selection. We interviewed several. Much of it just comes down to personality and "fit". You're going to spend 1/2 a year with this person / firm so pick someone you like. Pick someone who "gets" you. The company we went with is small. Just 2 architects and 2 project planners. We understand that will stretch the timeline at times as we compete with other projects for their time but we are not in a rush. We traded the personal feel and dedicated small team of 2 for a big flashy firm. The firm we picked started out as a "design-build" firm so our architect and project manager both come from a custom home building background. They've both managed custom builds, managed subs, and built homes. We think that experience and knowledge is really key and will pay dividends down the road when it comes time to interview and select a builder (which they will assist with), keep the builder on track, and spot any placed where the builder may go off track.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615140.50
cmyx6go15685.00
      07-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #119
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^ Nice

Does designing/building a custom home come out cheaper than buying a new construction template/cookie cutter home in this market? I was looking to buy a house but this market is insane right now. I'm starting to think it may be better to just buy cheap land somewhere and custom build.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      07-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #120
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Late to the thread but a few thoughts:

1. Whatever a contractor promises in terms of time, change to the next unit up. If he says 4 days, it will be 4 weeks.

2. Contractors that pay their subs fast and well get the best subs and get the work done promptly.

3. Geothermal is great and can be zoned (we had two systems, two wells). It is quiet and efficient. But it must be done properly because a leak in the well is very expensive (especially if the well is below the house). The Geo units are expensive and while they are pretty reliable, they can be expensive to repair (parts). You will likely not get a dime of resale value out of the system, so the economics have to work for your expected ownership.

4. In the country, seal ALL openings into the house properly, including sills/framing. Use steel wool and caulk - this is the only way I’ve found to prevent mice, snakes and other visitors. This is easiest and cheapest when framed but before interior and exterior coverings.

5. Backup generator if all electric, but it is better (IMO) to get a wood stove with a flat top (Vermont Castings, for example) that you can cook soup on if needed. I’d rather have two fuel sources (electric and wood, or electric and nat gas).

6. Wire for electric vehicle chargers in the garage for each space. 220v with 40amps or more. At least run the conduit and be sure you have panel capacity (maybe a sub panel already in the garage).

7. Consider prep for solar roof-top. Conduit from the attic to the panel area, for example. Build the roof to handle a little extra weight.

8. If you can get wi-if to the site, set up some cameras so you can keep an eye on things when you can’t get there. If not, get some inexpensive trail cams and hang them where they can watch the site.

9. Building is fun, but full of challenges and spouse debates. Have a light heart and huge wallet.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11456.00
vreihen1615140.50
Littlebear3509.50
      07-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #121
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
^ Nice

Does designing/building a custom home come out cheaper than buying a new construction template/cookie cutter home in this market? I was looking to buy a house but this market is insane right now. I'm starting to think it may be better to just buy cheap land somewhere and custom build.
Man, there's so many variables specific to what you want, what your local market is like, labor rates for builders and subs, etc. The short answer is "maybe." it's possible to build your own for less but it's also possible to spend waaaaay more than if you just bought.

I dont know about Houston but here in the Seattle Metro area you see little, old, sub 2000 sqft houses being torn down and replaced by 4,000 sqft homes that sell for $2M. if you compare like for like and try to do that on your own you end up with approximately:

$700k - Buy the tear down
$50k - Demo and site prep
$50k - Buy some off the shelf plans, engineering stamp, permitting, etc.
$1.2M - Build cost ($300 sqft x 4000 sqft).

Total is $2M. It's a complete wash.

Now in our case we wanted something that simply does not exist for sale. Big, wooded, flat, property in the city with a modest 2,000 sqft house with a big shop and a big garage. Best could find is maybe 3 of those 5 (property, location, house, shop, garage) in any 1 property and the selling price is $1M and up and you have to do a full gut-job on the house, build a garage, etc. $1.5M total investment, minimum. Our budget for our project is $1.2M so in our case we THINK we will come out ahead. But the big detached garage is on the bubble. It's highly probable we do the house with basement shop first and hit our budget target. Then follow up with the garage later.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 07-16-2021 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #122
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post

1. Whatever a contractor promises in terms of time, change to the next unit up. If he says 4 days, it will be 4 weeks.

2. Contractors that pay their subs fast and well get the best subs and get the work done promptly.

3. Geothermal is great and can be zoned (we had two systems, two wells). It is quiet and efficient. But it must be done properly because a leak in the well is very expensive (especially if the well is below the house). The Geo units are expensive and while they are pretty reliable, they can be expensive to repair (parts). You will likely not get a dime of resale value out of the system, so the economics have to work for your expected ownership.

4. In the country, seal ALL openings into the house properly, including sills/framing. Use steel wool and caulk - this is the only way I’ve found to prevent mice, snakes and other visitors. This is easiest and cheapest when framed but before interior and exterior coverings.

5. Backup generator if all electric, but it is better (IMO) to get a wood stove with a flat top (Vermont Castings, for example) that you can cook soup on if needed. I’d rather have two fuel sources (electric and wood, or electric and nat gas).

6. Wire for electric vehicle chargers in the garage for each space. 220v with 40amps or more. At least run the conduit and be sure you have panel capacity (maybe a sub panel already in the garage).

7. Consider prep for solar roof-top. Conduit from the attic to the panel area, for example. Build the roof to handle a little extra weight.

8. If you can get wi-if to the site, set up some cameras so you can keep an eye on things when you can’t get there. If not, get some inexpensive trail cams and hang them where they can watch the site.

9. Building is fun, but full of challenges and spouse debates. Have a light heart and huge wallet.
Great tips! Especially #9 about having the right attitude and plenty of funds going in. This shit adds up FAST!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615140.50
      07-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #123
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I'm starting to think it may be better to just buy cheap land somewhere and custom build.
Unless you are willing to put in the sweat equity, a custom build will probably cost more than an existing house.

As someone going through a utilitarian minimalist phase, an all steel barndominium on a slab with an open floor plan and plenty of room to park the cars inside is our plan. The cost should be less than a stick-built dwelling, and I am insane about keeping the interior divider wall count down to as near zero as I can without someone staring at me on the crapper. Roller toolboxes as the kitchen, not wooden cabinets and granite countertops. I'm probably in a unique position with a wife who would rather have a two-post lift in the living room than a designer kitchen.

I should probably start a new thread about my insane ideas.....
      07-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #124
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just got home but closed on the house in SC Wednesday. Super excited, going to be a long year as will still be here in NOLA as I have one more to teach and then we're out. The wife must just head up and leave me behind!
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2021, 08:02 AM   #125
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Just got home but closed on the house in SC Wednesday. Super excited, going to be a long year as will still be here in NOLA as I have one more to teach and then we're out. The wife must just head up and leave me behind!
Congratulations, future SC neighbor!!!!!
      07-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #126
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Congratulations, future SC neighbor!!!!!
Thanks! We're about 20 minutes east of Greenville.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #127
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
^ Nice

Very unlikely. If you go custom, you can do exactly what you want and that usually adds up.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50
      07-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #128
hooligan_G01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Thanks! We're about 20 minutes east of Greenville.
Greenville is a great little town - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #129
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post

Home owner needs to understand final finishes in the planning stage very clearly and determine up front exactly what they want to ensure that bid is as accurate as possible.. ask contractor who handles the bids to call out all items in detail. i.e. typically LED is required lighting these days to meet code so you dont want to just have it itemized as 4" or 6" LED ceiling lights etc, ask for actual brand.. there are cheap, medium and high end brands out there.. know exactly what you're getting and paying for... same goes with everything else all the way from rough to finish trim. Good Luck!

If one is working with Architect/Contractor and they are telling $X/sqft for building cost.. you want a complete breakdown of that cost..because in order for them to come up with that number they know exactly what materials they have in mind.. make sure these materials are what you envisioned..i.e. if you're happy with Vinyl or Fiberglass windows, great! Just make sure your expectation is not designer aluminum clad when time comes to make a final selection as your original estimate will likely spiral out of control especially if you end up feeling like that about multiple finishes.. my recommendation before even getting into design go and educate yourself on finishes, go to different stores and see finishes in person.. you don't need the contractor or architect to do that for you.. remember; anything additional they do is only going to cost you money when in fact you could do quite a bit yourself thus saving money.. everyone in construction likes to make it sounds as if its rocket science, its not.. cut the middleman wherever you can.

Last edited by hybrid_eg; 07-28-2021 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615140.50
nyalpine907423.50
DETRoadster11456.00
2000cs3495.00
      08-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #130
DETRoadster
Rep

Little bit of an update for y'all. We've officially kicked off work with the architectural firm. First step was an evaluation of where on the property the house and garage could sit, taking into account setbacks, view, and our goal to nestle the house in amongst the trees without removing any (or as few as possible). We have some flexibility with the city on setbacks and which direction we consider the "front" of the property. This is because the property currently does not have a driveway and the driveway is what determines the "front" of the property in the city's mind. So the image here shows 2 options for setbacks with the "front" of the yard being East facing as well as South facing.

The good news is that we have 3600 sqft to play with, before impacting significant trees. That's plenty of room for us as we want about an 1800 sqft to 2000 sqft house and will likely do 2 stories, keeping that footprint to maybe 1000 sqft.

Appreciate 3
vreihen1615140.50
kscarrol8889.50
ramman434712.00
      08-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #131
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Awesome. FWIW, my current house has a four season all glass sunroom/ atrium whereas our previous house had a screened in porch. We got 1,000,000% more use out of the screened porch.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #132
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Awesome. FWIW, my current house has a four season all glass sunroom/ atrium whereas our previous house had a screened in porch. We got 1,000,000% more use out of the screened porch.
I hear ya. When we lived in Southern NH people lived and died by their screened in porch. Believe it or not, it's not really a thing here in the PNW. Covered porch, yes. 100%. So you can recreate in the rain. But the bugs just aren't a thing here.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50