BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #111
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

JetBlue is flying people out of FL for $99. So i heard anyway.
Lups11828.50
      09-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #112
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Just checked, you are correct. $99 today from MCO to Westchester, NY

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 1
Lups11828.50
      09-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #113
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Quote:
Just checked, you are correct. $99 today from MCO to Westchester, NY
Wow they are so helpful to all of South FL!!
      09-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #114
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Some speculation I've heard is that the airlines aren't doing this manually, rather they have pricing algorithms that adjust costs based on demand - so when demand skyrockets, prices go up as well.

Of course, if true that then raises the question of why they left these algorithms in place when they knew there would be a demand spike due to a major storm...
Am I missing, how spikes change their costs?
      09-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #115
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Actually, I suspect nobody is talking about Katia not because of its location but rather because it's 'only' a cat 1 hurricane with max sustained winds of 80 mph around the eye and a small extent of tropical storm winds. There will be rain and wind, but likely only minor property damage and probably no loss of life. (Although I've really no idea how well that area can handle the amount of projected rain they'll get.)
Meh..... for most floridians .... that's just an afternoon T-storm.
      09-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #116
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Mandatory evacuation by 6am in pinellas county Fl for those located in Zone A for tomorrow. Which makes no sense since we are nowhere near the hurricane. Expected winds to be 10mph. I understand being prepared but this is all together a whole other story.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #117
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Mandatory evacuation by 6am in pinellas county Fl for those located in Zone A for tomorrow. Which makes no sense since we are nowhere near the hurricane. Expected winds to be 10mph. I understand being prepared but this is all together a whole other story.
Storm surge would be horrendous for all of the Bay Area if Irma comes up the west coast. In the wake of Texas flooding, they are going to act early. Especially since the Skyway will likely be closed soon. Takes a long time to get people out of S. Pinellas CO when you can only go north.
BOOF-M34451.50
RickFLM410995.50
      09-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #118
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Storm surge would be horrendous for all of the Bay Area if Irma comes up the west coast. In the wake of Texas flooding, they are going to act early. Especially since the Skyway will likely be closed soon. Takes a long time to get people out of S. Pinellas CO when you can only go north.
A few things... Lived here 20 years on the barrier islands and I have never had or seen the water come above the sea wall in my back yard. And that's with hurricanes coming dead center on top of us. Where are these people going to go? From what I have heard there isn't a room available in Florida? Those living in Mobil homes? That's a whole other story. They don't have their monthly rent let alone fill a tank up with gas on a trip to nowhere. I get it, the people deciding are a lot smarter than me. They just made a decision that has a lot of people irked. Count me as one of them. And I do appreciate you commenting on it Mr Tonka.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #119
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
A few things... Lived here 20 years on the barrier islands and I have never had or seen the water come above the sea wall in my back yard. And that's with hurricanes coming dead center on top of us. Where are these people going to go? From what I have heard there isn't a room available in Florida? Those living in Mobil homes? That's a whole other story. They don't have their monthly rent let alone fill a tank up with gas on a trip to nowhere. I get it, the people deciding are a lot smarter than me. They just made a decision that has a lot of people irked. Count me as one of them. And I do appreciate you commenting on it Mr Tonka.

This sounds too familiar.

When Sandy hit us 5 years ago, comments like yours were the norm. I had NEVER seen the water flood our streets at the "shore" nor had the streets ever flooded in the recorded history.

But, it only takes one "perfect" storm. PS, we're also just right outside of a full moon, having an effect on the tides.

Look, i get it, i feel for you guys. It sucks that you have been pushed to evacuate. But think about the alternative. Politicians are saving their own ass by trying to save your ass. Sad but true.

Get out, if you come to NJ, i will have a nice cigar and scotch waiting for ya!

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #120
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't there shelters inland?
      09-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #121
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Love the feedback. Great discussion. But the fact is that the storm is going to hit 200 miles to the east. This is what myself and others over here are discussing and irate about. The area within 50 miles + or - yes definitely evacuate. This storm as projected does not touch us. Houston is a completely different animal. Houston is Miami and they are preparing. We are Austin to Houston.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #122
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't there shelters inland?
Shelters? Um yea, can you imagine staying at a shelter for a storm that isn't hitting your area? I'm not suggesting any other family should stay. I'm saying it's unwarranted hysteria.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6060.00
      09-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #123
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List

You have to watch this with sound. Thats just nuts. Stay safe down there.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #124
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shelters? Um yea, can you imagine staying at a shelter for a storm that isn't hitting your area? I'm not suggesting any other family should stay. I'm saying it's unwarranted hysteria.
Well mandatory evacuations don't mean someone is yanking people out of homes. If people are convinced they won't be affected or otherwise want to roll the dice, they can stay. It just won't be possible to get you out during the storm if it becomes necessary. Everyone can make their own decisions.

I would not live in a mobile home in FL and certainly wouldn't stay in one if there were any chance of a storm hitting. For those that do and don't have the means for a hotel room or long road trip (per your post), the answer of what to do is either (a) go to a shelter, like it or not, or (b) roll the dice and hope there is no impact.
BOOF-M34451.50
      09-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #125
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well mandatory evacuations don't mean someone is yanking people out of homes. If people are convinced they won't be affected or otherwise want to roll the dice, they can stay. It just won't be possible to get you out during the storm if it becomes necessary. Everyone can make their own decisions.

I would not live in a mobile home in FL and certainly wouldn't stay in one if there were any chance of a storm hitting. For those that do and don't have the means for a hotel room or long road trip (per your post), the answer of what to do is either (a) go to a shelter, like it or not, or (b) roll the dice and hope there is no impact.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #126
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

09-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #127
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post

That is some nasty wind. Sound is eerie. Wonder if there were tornados mixed in.
      09-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #128
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

If any of you Florida members need to borrow an AR just p.m. me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #129
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
That is some nasty wind. Sound is eerie. Wonder if there were tornados mixed in.
It does sound very creepy and scary.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #130
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Love the feedback. Great discussion. But the fact is that the storm is going to hit 200 miles to the east. This is what myself and others over here are discussing and irate about. The area within 50 miles + or - yes definitely evacuate. This storm as projected does not touch us. Houston is a completely different animal. Houston is Miami and they are preparing. We are Austin to Houston.
Just saw the latest update from TWC. The European model now has it going more to the west. They're still not sure, but there is still a chance.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      09-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #131
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Smarter than you... HA! That's rich. No, they aren't smarter than you. They're just covering their asses. I've lived in Tampa for 40 years and Hurricane Elena is the closest i can recall to a directly (gulf side) hit. It's eye was far north of the Bay Area and created a fair amount of storm surge. In perfect conditions, the eye of a cat 3 or better making land fall in North Pinellas county will likely bring 20' or more storm surge into the bay. Barrier islands might get pounded but are likely less affected by surge, but the bay itself would be overflowing in it's inner most spots.

Doesn't seem that's what we're facing here though, hopefully. From what i remember about the 2004 hurricane season is all of those storms, on somewhat of a similar path as Irma, pushed water OUT of the bay. The only time we had flooding in S. Tampa was the last one that went though... Francis maybe, lingered a while and dumped a ton of rain. But that wasn't surge by any means. Just lack of S. Tampa drainage.

With Irma hot on the heels of Harvey though, all those with political power will surely be erring on the side of caution.

Here's to strong winds from the west!
BOOF-M34451.50
scostu1623.00
      09-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #132
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope that's going to be fact.

From what i understand if Houston gets a typical Tampa area afternoon thunder storm, they flood. I don't believe their flooding was storm surge. But rather the result of 50+ inches of rain fall over the course of 24 hours.

I'm not leaving town, but i'm in Lutz, 62' above sea level in a home built in 2009 to St Pete beach hurricane code. I did have some suspect trees removed today. One leaning towards my house, the other leaning towards my neighbors house. Hopefully that will mitigate most of the potential damage. With as much rain as has saturate the ground around here, downed trees should be expected.
BOOF-M34451.50
RickFLM410995.50
wrickem2103.00
Naz241627.50